A Sad Day...

sloslunas

NM Blues
I have so many memories about hanging out with Chuck over the years. First, the very first time I ever got on stage...Chuck was there to cover all of my mistakes. Second, he backed me into a corner at BGU live 2011 and made me promise that I would join the BGU forum (he made a big mistake on that one!). Several years later, I remember telling the hotel desk clerk to call Chuck's room (at 3 in the morning!!), as I was giving a demo on the digitech Jamman stereo looper pedal. Sure enough, Chuck stumbled down the stairs, in his pajamas and bunny slippers...his hair going every which away (what a sight). A year or two later Chuck and I were traveling from Corona to the Ontario airport, and Chuck tells me "let's find a gas station so we don't have to pay for what the car rental agency is going to charge". Well the GPS system on that rental took us half way to Canada! Lord knows where we wound up, but we finally got the SUV filled up. Although we have stayed in touch, the last time I saw Chuck was in Memphis. That is where we fried his PA system on the rooftop in Memphis. I have many more stories...but those are top secret. What happened to me this morning (concerning Chuck) is going to absolutely blow you mind. I will relate that story when the time is appropriate...

Steve

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I never had the pleasure of meeting Chuck but I’m so thankful to have known him via the forum. I always love his takes on equipment and his good humor. I am especially thankful for his kind, warm welcome when I first joined the forum and started playing guitar. Not once did he ever not take the time to explain/answer all my crazy questions or give me encouragement. Chuck is a true gentleman and has made this world a better place. Praying for comfort and strength for him, his family and his countless friends!!!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My My,
Sad news indeed.
I never had the pleasure of meeting Chuck but, his involvement on the forum made me feel as though he was a friend.
As a newbie he made me feel welcome and as an ongoing participant I came to realize he gave the place a solid touch of class.

Peace Be With You.

Last edited:

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
You guys have all said it better than I ever could. Chuck was one of the first guys I met at
my first BGU Live. He made me feel welcome and his manner put me at ease. He was a stand up, salt of the earth guy who will be missed. Condolences and prayers to his family.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
RoguesGallery.jpg
This is what I remember best about Mike's first BGU Jam here in Texas way back in like 2011. I'm sure that's not where this pic was taken, but these 3 gents exemplified all-things-BGU to me that day. Chuck was one of the first ones to talk to me, and I think was in the first group to jump on stage and show us what it was all about.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that I hadn't seen him post anything lately (I'm slow like that sometimes), but figured that I was either in the wrong places or he had just been busy. I hate to hear this news, but now I know why he's been missing. Happy thoughts, healing mojo, and prayers for him and his family during this tough time.

Mireyes1

Blues Newbie
Chuck always gave me a smile and a warm welcome when I attended BGU Live. He is (and always will be) an inspiration to me as he has shown me by his example what is realistically possible as a true blues brother if I put forth a good-faith effort. I'll never be as good as Chuck, but that's ok. He set a high standard that I can strive to where I will do all the good that I can... by all the means that I can... in all the ways that I can... in all the places that I can... at all the times that I can... to all the people that I can... to be a good soul... as long as I can... while strumming a few blues chords along the way.

SeattleSlim

Blues Newbie
ChuckLauraGriff.jpg I am so very sad to learn of Chuck's passing. If there is any one individual that embodied and expressed the values, love and passion of this BGU community it was Chuck. He was my friend, as he was to every person who picked up a guitar and wanted to play.

SeattleSlim

Blues Newbie
Hello Griff and Laura. I share with you in the loss of our good friend Chuck. I did not know about his illness and fight with cancer. But knowing a little about the man and his spirit, I am sure he faced it all with courage and grace. What a good and generous man. There were some people that he had an endless wellspring of love, affection and admiration— his family, and the Hamlin family, which he considered as much his own, and the ever expanding BGU community. He will be sorely missed. My best wishes to you as we remember a good man.