A-Ha moments

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
One of the biggest and frustrating challenges for all guitarists is learning and memorizing notes on the fretboard. It has been for me for the past few years. I'm aware of the various methods - 6th string up and down, 5th string up and down, shapes (triangles), chess moves (2 across, three down). Been there, tried that, but to no avail. A few days ago I received a post in FB with a fretboard diagram - one of millions - but this one, for some reason, caught my eye, and after really looking at it, it suddenly clicked, the light went on above my head and a wonderful realisation engulfed me. I found a way to memorize the notes on the fretboard !! I tested myself a few hrs after, and still got it right. I find myself mentally visualizing the fretboard, saying the notes , and it all falls in place. Now I have to put my newfound skill into practice and hopefully I'm one step closer to being a better and more accomplished player. Cheers (y):Beer:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
One of the biggest and frustrating challenges for all guitarists is learning and memorizing notes on the fretboard. It has been for me for the past few years. I'm aware of the various methods - 6th string up and down, 5th string up and down, shapes (triangles), chess moves (2 across, three down). Been there, tried that, but to no avail. A few days ago I received a post in FB with a fretboard diagram - one of millions - but this one, for some reason, caught my eye, and after really looking at it, it suddenly clicked, the light went on above my head and a wonderful realisation engulfed me. I found a way to memorize the notes on the fretboard !! I tested myself a few hrs after, and still got it right. I find myself mentally visualizing the fretboard, saying the notes , and it all falls in place. Now I have to put my newfound skill into practice and hopefully I'm one step closer to being a better and more accomplished player. Cheers (y):Beer:
Great! I am happy for you. I often say that you have to look at things in different ways, and then CLICK! ;):Beer:

Tom

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I'm just curious. Do you have any idea WHY this particular depiction clicked with you?
Maybe your mind just got to the point where it was ready to understand and/or assimilate information you already "knew"?
Did the chord references factor in?
I am always interested in learning about how other people learn - a very interesting subject to me.
It would also be interesting to hear HOW you now use this understanding to your advantage going forward!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm wondering about that too. That same diagram is in several of Griff's courses.
The only reason I can think of to explain why this one clicked and Griff's didn't would be that this one came to you at the right time (when you were ready to understand and retain it).

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
The only reason I can think of to explain why this one clicked and Griff's didn't would be that this one came to you at the right time (when you were ready to understand and retain it).
I think you might be right there Mike. I've looked at several times, but nothing's jumping out at me. I guess it's just not my time yet.:)

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
Hi guys, to tell you the truth, I myself don't really understand why this a-hah moment happened. The only reason I can think of is I'm not dead tired, after a day's work, but very very relaxed, (I'm still at home on leave without pay), very focused on guitar lessons, playing etc. Then this diagram popped up. I looked at it, very focused, and just saw things I didn't see before. I did try other methods, but there was no click. This time it was different. Instead of trying to learn patterns or notes along the string (top to bottom) I noticed the notes across the frets. Fret 1 - if you know the names of the open strings, you know the names on fret 1. Fret 2 comes from knowing FRET 3. Fret 3 - GCF*DG (*=A#/Bb). Fret 5 - ADGCEA, Fret 7 is easy - BEAD*B (* = F# or Gb). Fret 8 - CF--GC (blanks are string 4 A#/Bb, String 3 D#/Eb). Fret 10 is easy also - DGCFAD. Fret 12 is the octave - EADGBE.
So take all that together and you pretty well have most of the fretboard covered. At this stage I don't bother too much with the sharps and flats - that'll come with time and practice. Notes on frets not mentioned are derived from frets above or below that fret.
@OG_Blues - the chord references had no factor whatsoever. From here, I now physically practice "connecting the notes" on the fretboard, and hopefully I'll reach a point where I'll be able to navigate smoothly and quickly across the fretboard.
You are all correct by pointing out that the diagram is very standard, nothing special about it, and I did say in my post that this diagram is one of millions.
I'm sure this method may seem cumbersome to some of you, but it works for me ;)
I hope my A-Ha moment will help you to keep at it and learn that damn fretboard.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I suspected that with a vertical diagram you saw the notes across frets in a different light.

One thing to realize is that the notes on the same fret will always have the same relationship as the open strings.

They are all a Perfect 4th apart, except between the 3rd and 2nd second string which are a Major 3rd apart.

All a result of Standard Tuning.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Thank you John. Makes sense to me too. I saved the pic to my desk top. I really have no idea why it's so important to learn the individual notes except that Griff says it's important. WHY it's important totally eludes me. It will not change the licks I use or how I play, I am totally lick-oriented and pattern-oriented and don't really care what the individual notes are ... if the lick works I use it and that's all there is to that.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
It's good (maybe essential) to know the note names, especially on the 5th and 6th strings where the roots of many chords are found.

I tend to think in relative terms- If I'm in a particular key, where is the 4, the 5, the 6min...

With standard notation, the key signature establishes a key, which could be major or minor (one sharp could be Gmajor or Eminor). Then you look for patterns that tell you what scales you are playing.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
An added benefit of the Flash Card Tool is finding the notes on the fretboard. Knowing where the notes are is essential to getting the most out of Griff's courses. YMMV