a gift, before and after, Moto Magic!

Elwood

Blues
I think this needed a new thread because this post is about recording / mixing stuff. My performing didn't get better as the recording aged..however.

For the listener's convenience here is a copy of the post I did on the 5th with "No Hands".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ab4vka6xwrl3vd/No Hands.mp3?dl=0

I got lots of nice comments, thanks to all, but I also got a fascinating message from Moto. Now I'm sure you all know he is extremely supportive, and always eager to improve his skills and help others to do so. Moto asked if -I would mind- if he took my individual tracks to see what he could do with his mixing equipment and expertise. Well, yeah...(like Ed McMahon just dropped by to ask if I wanted a bunch of cash in that dirty old empty bag,) I sent him those files as fast as I could find 'em.

So, school is in, for me at least. First thing, Moto is not the 5 minute film shop. It took him time, and he took time, to make many changes. I have a list, and I plan to try to learn what he did. But, it takes time. I'm afraid my mind says when I get done playing...all done! Not so! I think some of you guys have been trying to tell some of us that, but Moto showed me. He seems to have learned to enjoy this process also. Blab blab blab... here is the Moto mastered copy of the tune.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sglmkjehowselqi/01 - Captain Moto - No Hands 1.mp3?dl=0

The Moto mix work is amazing to me!

I just passed a year of being active on the board with you guys. What a fine bunch of folks!

Thanks Moto!

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Good job, well done to both of you.
By the way, I am retiring soon and will have loads of time On my hands so like Moto, I am willing to share what knowledge and mixing skills I have. Love doing it so just give me a shout if you have anything for me.

Elwood

Blues
Thanks Mike. I guess a bunch of you are used to this stuff, to me this is amazing! Moto made lots of steps here and there and I was floored when I first heard it, the changes in the sound of the guitar! I need to open my mind more to effects and learn how to move through this process. I don't wan't to get "tricky' but getting a nice sounding recording, there's nothing wrong with that!

The offer is real nice of you. Hey that strat/deluxe set up your running caught my ear. :thumbup: Sometimes I dream about making a short scale tele with a thinline body with no f-hole. A short, lightweight sleeper. I would sure look into those pickups if it got past the dream phase.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Elwood,
Thanks for the opportunity to expand my mixing experience.

When I heard your recording I thought:
-nice song, well done
-the mix was nice and simple
-sounded clean and unprocessed.
-had a certain authentic feel to it.

I was just looking for an opportunity to mix somebody other then myself (that's becoming rather limiting)

In my opinion, what I did was just a different take.
Sometimes different is good sometimes it's just different.
Only the listener can determine what they like.

Glad you liked the results.
Nice job on the song

Last edited:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
The offer is real nice of you. Hey that strat/deluxe set up your running caught my ear. :thumbup: Sometimes I dream about making a short scale tele with a thinline body with no f-hole. A short, lightweight sleeper. I would sure look into those pickups if it got past the dream phase.

There is a pro guitarist over here called Brett Kingman who demo's a lot of Micks pickups on YouTube, including the Tele sets.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
WOW... 1st nice song! THat helps get things off to a good start!

CaptainMoto - What a great job you did mixing it. It sounds awesome! Wouldn't mind hearing what you did to spark things up, though that would likely be a huge task to put those details together! I think You added some verb maybe delay and possibly duped the tracks. Some day I', going to delve into the recording world!

It's really nice how folks around here are so happy to step up and help out fellow enthusiasts.

What a great community! Thanks!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
WOW... 1st nice song! THat helps get things off to a good start!

CaptainMoto - What a great job you did mixing it. It sounds awesome! Wouldn't mind hearing what you did to spark things up, though that would likely be a huge task to put those details together! I think You added some verb maybe delay and possibly duped the tracks. Some day I', going to delve into the recording world!

It's really nice how folks around here are so happy to step up and help out fellow enthusiasts.

What a great community! Thanks!
You are correct all the way around.

I'll send you the secret formula;)
Shhhh:cautious:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Best guy there is in giving to others and helping them to learn, moto is how I got my start recording and getting the basics down