7 Slow in A

vashondan

Blues Doobie
A couple of questions.  What value added does the mic bring?  What do you mean when you say you're using the mic but not recording directly into the computer?  I just ordered a mic and need to be schooled. 

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Tom, I record all of my guitar playing through the USB on my Mustang III, and my attempts at singing with my old tried and true Shure SM57 mic.  So far, I have simply plugged the SM57 into my Mustang III clean '65 Twin preset in order to get it through the USB and into my computer.

The Sennheiser e609 mic that Paparaptor shows above is an EXCELLENT mic for micing a guitar amp, it was designed specifically for that, but it isn’t the best mic for vocals.  The Shure SM57 or SM58 will work great for both micing guitar and vocals, they are iconic work-horse mics used in virtually every studio on the planet.  The SM57 does just as good a job for vocals as the SM58, but it has a wider frequency response with the same high end as the SM58 but a lower bottom end than the SM58 which makes it great for also micing kick drums and basses.

You will need a small USB mixer to get any of these mics into your computer’s USB port, but you must do your homework to be sure it will work with your Win XP.  I use Windows 7.

I have one of these on the way, should be here tomorrow:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBMix
With that, I will be able to run my mic through a reverb pedal, then into the mixer, then into the computer’s USB for vocals.  And the same for an acoustic/electric guitar if and when I ever get one.  There are several others out there that people use, notably from Line 6, but this simple inexpensive one will do all I will ever need it to do.

I also have one of these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Icicle
It works very well with my Win 7 setup, but I can’t put it through a reverb pedal.  It would work very well for micing a guitar amp though, provided it will work with your Win XP.  According to the verbiage on the Sweetwater site, it does.

One note:  All of these mics are low impedance with XLR cables.  To be able to plug one directly into a guitar amp or a guitar pedal (like reverb) you will also need one of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/audio-technica-cp8201-in-line-transformer
This will covert it to a high-impedance ¼” jack.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
A couple of questions.  What value added does the mic bring?  What do you mean when you say you're using the mic but not recording directly into the computer?  I just ordered a mic and need to be schooled. 
Dan, I think was is meant is that the amp in question does not have a USB out for direct input, so a mic is the only way to record it.  For micing guitar amps, the only value added with a mic is that the recorded sound/tone will change somewhat depending on the mic placement ... dead center with the speaker, off-axis, close, farther away, or all of the above simultaneously.  Studios to this kind of stuff a lot.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Dan, I think was is meant is that the amp in question does not have a USB out for direct input, so a mic is the only way to record it.  For micing guitar amps, the only value added with a mic is that the recorded sound/tone will change somewhat depending on the mic placement ... dead center with the speaker, off-axis, close, farther away, or all of the above simultaneously.  Studios to this kind of stuff a lot.

Gotcha.  Thanks.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My 2cents on micing the amp:

I don't use a modeling amp ,software or modeling pedals.
I just play thru my amp and place a sm57 at the speaker to capture my sound.

I use an audio interface with several inputs to send the signal to my computer.
I have my vocal mic plugged into one input and guitar mic into the second.

For me, the advantage is, I record the tone coming out of my amp and I don't need to mess with anything else.
For those who use a modeling amp, the advantage is:
they don't need an extra audio interface, because the amp sends the signal to the computer. Also, they can add effects with the click of a mouse.

Tom45

Blues Newbie
Thank you all for your replys to my mic questions.  I'll be shopping for one of your suggestions.  I have a mixer that I bought to digitize all my vinyl albums and it has a mic jack so I should be able to record my amp right into my computer.

Still not sure how those little speakers on the THR10c are going to sound but maybe I can run a cable from the THR10c's headphone jack into my Fender 25R Frontman amp?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
A good mic should have no problem picking up the great sound from a THR10C.  The only potential problem I can see is in how you monitor the playback of the jam track while recording over it.  If you have that going through something like powered speakers, and if those speakers are anywhere close to your THR10C, then the mic will also pick up what's coming from those speakers.  And if you enable "play through" in Audacity, (or any other similar software) so you can monitor everything through headphones, you will probably have latency problems.

giayank

Just another day in paradise
i use headphones to monitor with play through on in audacity and dont seem to have latency issues but the headphones really alter the tone . what I hear in headphones is altered flat . not sure why . playback through my amp always sounds sharp to me after mixing

JD1

Blues Newbie
Wow... Great Track guys!!!... every addition was spot on...each one complimented the other...lots of good tone and timing.. good job on the vocals too....

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

JD

JD1

Blues Newbie
Just happen to stumble on that surfin the net.. and thought it might make a good avatar....

Tom45

Blues Newbie
A good mic should have no problem picking up the great sound from a THR10C.  The only potential problem I can see is in how you monitor the playback of the jam track while recording over it.  If you have that going through something like powered speakers, and if those speakers are anywhere close to your THR10C, then the mic will also pick up what's coming from those speakers.  And if you enable "play through" in Audacity, (or any other similar software) so you can monitor everything through headphones, you will probably have latency problems.
I was hoping I could play the backing track through the THR10C via the aux jack and just record everything from there.  Does that sound doable?  In other words play my lead over the backing track as both are coming out of the THR10C.

As you can tell, I've never recorded my playing before so I'm at the mercy of others like you who can help. :-/

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I was hoping I could play the backing track through the THR10C via the aux jack and just record everything from there.  Does that sound doable?  In other words play my lead over the backing track as both are coming out of the THR10C.

As you can tell, I've never recorded my playing before so I'm at the mercy of others like you who can help. :-/
Bad idea!  You would be re-recording the entire backing track if you do that, and that would make the backing track sound muddy.  Furthermore, your guitar volume and the volume of the backing track that you just recorded would be locked in place ... making it impossible for you to adjust your guitar volume relative the backing track when mixing the Audacity tracks down for export.  You would do far better by listening to the backing track with headphones, with the headphones on only one ear, with the other ear free to hear your guitar from the THR10C.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Yes, ideally you would import the backing track as it was before your addition into your recording software.  When you record, an additional track is laid down in parallel with the backing track.  The only thing on this track should be your new stuff (guitar, vocal, etc.) 

This allows you to, as Rancid points out, adjust the relative volume of your newly added track to the volume of the backing track so a nice mix is achieved.  Once you have it the way you like it, you export it to an MP3 file for the next player, at which time the original track and the new one are blended together by the software.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Tom, you say the USB on your THR10C won't work with your WinXP.  That sounds really strange to me.  Have you sent an email to Yamaha Support asking WHY?  There's probably just a driver of some kind that you need to download.  If you can get that to work, then listening to the backing track through the THR10C and simultaneously recording from the THR10C is doable because what comes in the through the Aux jack does NOT go out through the USB.
In fact, here is the driver you need:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&product_id=1702688

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Tom, you say the USB on your THR10C won't work with your WinXP.  That sounds really strange to me.  Have you sent an email to Yamaha Support asking WHY?  There's probably just a driver of some kind that you need to download.  If you can get that to work, then listening to the backing track through the THR10C and simultaneously recording from the THR10C is doable because what comes in the through the Aux jack does NOT go out through the USB.
In fact, here is the driver you need:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&product_id=1702688

I'm using Windows XP and have had no issues using USB from my interface or when using the RP500...I wonder if maybe he's not choocing the correct audio input source in Audacity...I've actually run my RP500 in an amp, the computer and used X-Edit on the computer all at the same time...but have to admit that XP is getting "tired"...later.

cowboy

JN99

Hang Fire
As RR said, you probably need a driver.  Likely need an ASIO driver.  I haven't tried using my THR10 this way but pretty much any USB interface to a PC is going to need an ASIO driver.  Check the manual, there should be something in there.