7 Slow in A

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
And here's a pic of my 2nd most favorite '65 Twin preset ... the one I use for my Strat, and sometimes with other guitars as well.  It's a little brighter than the first, and has more reverb.  Yes, I know it has way more bass ... but it also has more treble and mids and less gain ... and it IS brighter.

Tom45

Blues Newbie
Thank's to all of you who responded to my request for boxes used for these licks.  I now have a lot of work to do.

BTW, I spent about 15 minutes typing out a long detailed response and just as I was about done - POOF - it disapeared and I was back to the original thread.  Not sure what happened, so this is a short thank you. :) :)

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Thank's to all of you who responded to my request for boxes used for these licks.  I now have a lot of work to do.

BTW, I spent about 15 minutes typing out a long detailed response and just as I was about done - POOF - it disapeared and I was back to the original thread.  Not sure what happened, so this is a short thank you. :) :)

you're welcome...I know the feeling Tom...sometimes I hit a wrong key and POOF, it's all gone and I'm having a "conversation" with the computer...later.

cowboy

giayank

Just another day in paradise
  You guys are all sounding great . I really enjoy the tone and phrasing . Listening to you play gives me ideas and inspiration . For your benefit hope I don't get inspired to sing . ;)

I had trouble getting my pod ux1 to play nice with me  . I learned today windows media player wants to join in the fun . After changing settings   I found some new tones to play around with .

SlowBluesAXXXXXX00

https://db.tt/5mwYPbKn

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Tom 45 , Each time I post on the VJR I learn something more . Today it was audio software knowledge . "lots more to learn " . Best way to start is to jump right into the fire . You will only get encouragement here with no judgments . Give it a try and start having fun jamming with others . It's been said many times By Marv and it's great advise . Start with one lick you play over the I chord . Listen to the track and as the I comes around play your lick . Then add another . When you are comfortable playing over the I do the same with the IV . It doesn't take long and you have nothing but good times ahead . :) 

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Very nice playing there, giayank!  Like Dan, you get noticeably better every time I hear you!

And we all need more opportunity to sing.  Somehow.  I'm WAY out of practice at it!  Your voice is like any other muscle in your body ... it needs training and practice ... just like your fingers.  If you don't use it you lose it.  Same with knowing how to 'work' a mic ... up close when singing softly, held farther away when belting out some word or phrase, etc. 

And Tom45, what giayank is saying is all very very TRUE.  Just jump in and START.  In the VJR, with Audacity, you don't even really have to play a solo all the way through non-stop.  You can lay down as many tracks as you want in Audacity.  If need be, you could do a solo one lick at a time with each lick on a different track ... repeated as many times as necessary to get that lick recorded good.  Each track has its own playback level you can set, so before exporting your bit, you can play it back and adjust those levels to your heart's content until the whole solo sounds "seamless".  Of course it would take a bit of time to do that, but so long as you post a "I'm working on this" message, you have all the time in the world.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Welcome to the stew, Paparaptor!  You have a couple of good lickies in there that I haven't heard anyone else do including me!  Might have to swipe (borrow) them from you.  And it's nice to hear someone using OD tastefully so it doesn't sound like a buzz saw for the whole solo!  Exactly what were you using for your OD?  When it was breaking up it was the kind I really like.  Good job, if you ask me, and "butchered" isn't a word I would use!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks!  Guess I should do a rig rundown.
That was my MIM Strat with Duncan SLS-1 Lipstick p'ups, neck and mid.  I had a Joyo Compressor on and my Ibanez TS9-dx in TS9 standard mode. Also had a Boss DD-3 Pedal adding the aftertaste, into a Hot Rod Deluxe.  Recorded with a Sennheiser e609 and a Shure SM58.

The Joyo compressor seems to have found it's way onto most everything I do.  It works well for my bass recording, too.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I thought that sounded pretty TS808/TS9 ish.  I keep forgetting in my "rig rundowns" to mention that both of my Mustang '65 Twin presets that I use in here all the time have a little internal compression on them ... some nameless stomp box compressor, but it works pretty well. 

And you can't beat a Shure SM58 or SM57!  I've had my old SM57 since the late 60's ... it's been beat and bashed all over the country, traveled thousands of miles in trailers, vans, and even a '58 Pontiac hearse we used to have as a "band wagon" ... taken out of trailers at 20 below zero into a warm room, dropped, spilled upon, you name it ... the thing is indestructible.  And it still sounds the same as it did when brand new.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OK boys I'm in,
RR, I thought I heard somebody calling me down here.
I've been writing new stuff and haven't made my way down here lately.
Been posting a few up in Other Members Recordings.
I have to say ....I think I'm starting to like your singing :eek:
It looks like everyone has been working hard. Seams like everyone is getting better. :cool:
Marv, Chuck.....I really liked your stuff...you guys are pros. Mr G and Dan...good performances. Papa...nice work and thanks for kicking this off.

Here's my wrap up..
https://db.tt/tZPoVtVH

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Way to go, CaptainMoto!!!  Yeah!!!
Love your singing, and thanks for rescuing me from standing out there all naked all by my lonesome!
That was an outstanding wrap-up for this!

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Very Nice Guys! I loved the additions from Giayank, Lloyd and the Cap'n. The vocals from Jim and the Cap'n were great! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Tom45

Blues Newbie
Tom 45 , Each time I post on the VJR I learn something more . Today it was audio software knowledge . "lots more to learn " . Best way to start is to jump right into the fire . You will only get encouragement here with no judgments . Give it a try and start having fun jamming with others . It's been said many times By Marv and it's great advise . Start with one lick you play over the I chord . Listen to the track and as the I comes around play your lick . Then add another . When you are comfortable playing over the I do the same with the IV . It doesn't take long and you have nothing but good times ahead . :) 
giayank, You are right about learning a lot here at the VJR and yes, I remember Marv's post a while back about starting with one lick.  I even copied his post and printed it out.  I've been working on this concept but need to create more licks.  As far as jumping in and recording, I'm going to comment on this in a reply to RR after I post this reply.

Tom45

Blues Newbie
And Tom45, what giayank is saying is all very very TRUE.  Just jump in and START.  In the VJR, with Audacity, you don't even really have to play a solo all the way through non-stop.  You can lay down as many tracks as you want in Audacity.  If need be, you could do a solo one lick at a time with each lick on a different track ... repeated as many times as necessary to get that lick recorded good.  Each track has its own playback level you can set, so before exporting your bit, you can play it back and adjust those levels to your heart's content until the whole solo sounds "seamless".  Of course it would take a bit of time to do that, but so long as you post a "I'm working on this" message, you have all the time in the world.[/color]
RR, I don't have Audacity but I use another wav editor and I think it will do this also.  I'll have to look into it.  As far as recording right now the only way I can record is through a microphone.  I haven't done any recording yet and don't even have a microphone.  So I have a couple of questions:

If everyone else is recording directly into their computer and when I add my 12 bars I use a microphone to record from my amp, will this reduce the quality of the recording?

I will be playing through my Yahama THR10c and with those small speakers I don't think it's going to sound very good. Yes, I know this amp has a usb port for recording but it won't work with Win XP.

If this will sound okay, what kind of microphone would work best for recording from an amp?

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
impressive job guys... [smiley=beer.gif]...love the way the VJR is moving...looking for some more tracks where we can add rhythm and lead parts and vocals...later.

cowboy

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Tom45,

"If everyone else is recording directly into their computer and when I add my 12 bars I use a microphone to record from my amp, will this reduce the quality of the recording?"

I've got lots to learn about recording so, I hesitate to give any advise. However, I never record directly into the computer.
All my guitar recordings are done by micing my amp.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
And Tom45, what giayank is saying is all very very TRUE.  Just jump in and START.  In the VJR, with Audacity, you don't even really have to play a solo all the way through non-stop.  You can lay down as many tracks as you want in Audacity.  If need be, you could do a solo one lick at a time with each lick on a different track ... repeated as many times as necessary to get that lick recorded good.  Each track has its own playback level you can set, so before exporting your bit, you can play it back and adjust those levels to your heart's content until the whole solo sounds "seamless".  Of course it would take a bit of time to do that, but so long as you post a "I'm working on this" message, you have all the time in the world.[/color]
RR, I don't have Audacity but I use another wav editor and I think it will do this also.  I'll have to look into it.  As far as recording right now the only way I can record is through a microphone.  I haven't done any recording yet and don't even have a microphone.  So I have a couple of questions:

If everyone else is recording directly into their computer and when I add my 12 bars I use a microphone to record from my amp, will this reduce the quality of the recording?

I will be playing through my Yahama THR10c and with those small speakers I don't think it's going to sound very good. Yes, I know this amp has a usb port for recording but it won't work with Win XP.

If this will sound okay, what kind of microphone would work best for recording from an amp?

I record with a Mic a lot when at home. I don't know if he's changed or not, but I believe RR records with a Mic.  A good quality Mic (ie Shure SM57 or 58. There are a lot of good choices but Shure is tried and True with lots of artist and History behind it's reputation.) and having the mic properly placed will make a difference. You can control the level and even filter some of the ambient noise with Software you are using (I have several but I use Audacity because it's easy.)

In answer to your question, if done properly, no, it will not matter. Part of being able to record it properly is part of what the VJR is all about.

Everyone here will help you and if you need anything extra, we can even work over the phone if you need us too.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

Tom, you can download Audacity for free. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

As far as using a mic, that's the only way I record.  I have one that quite literally hangs in front of my amp all the time.
HRD-W-e609.jpg

As far as the best ones, the Shure SM57 and SM58 are hard to beat all around workhorses.  The one in the photo is a Sennheiser e609, which is also a good one.  Both will record from relatively low volumes to the amp wide open without distortion.  I like the e609 because as the picture shows, I can hang it over the front of the amp and don't need a mic stand for it.