7 Slow in A

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Thank you, Paparaptor!  Here ya go.
Cowboy wanted to do some sing and play call and response.  So ...
You get to cringe at my caterwalling.  Blame it on Cowboy.   :eek:
JD has a good voice, so maybe he'll join in here as well.
And we haven't heard from Captainmoto for a long time and he has a God-gifted real blues voice!  How 'bout it Captain?
And Marv, we need to hear your pipes too!
And Cowboy, since this is all your fault, we expect to hear from you too!
Dan won't sing 'cause he says his dog starts howlin'.
And of course Paparaptor can jump in too!
And anybody else who has the itch!

Oh My Achin' Back X000000

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Too late for my hollerin' pipes tonight, but a good start on this one, RR.  Lil' hard to hear your vocals, so don't be shy next time.  [smiley=beer.gif]

Had some fun with bends and box 1 and 2 passing notes on this one.

https://db.tt/DrsHJkBP

Oh My Achin' Back with Two X's and Five O's: XXOOOOO

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Okay, Jim and Marv sounded so good, I had to jump in and take my TC-Helicon Play Electric for a test drive (It's been a while!)

https://db.tt/01CBwDbG

Gibson ES-339, Neck PU, TC-Helicon Voice Live Play Electric using the 2 x 12, Combo and a touch of Reverb.

XXXOOOO  Another X marks the spot!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Good stuff, Marv!
And Chuck, I REALLY liked your bit ... that TC Helicon yields some great tone!
But what, no singing??  That's OK of course, but I'm starting to feel a bit "nekkid" just the same.  :-/

Chuck

Staff member
Good stuff, Marv!
And Chuck, I REALLY liked your bit ... that TC Helicon yields some great tone!
But what, no singing??  That's OK of course, but I'm starting to feel a bit "nekkid" just the same.  :-/

Thanks Jim, I'm on the road staying in a Hotel. I always have my Guitar with me but I didn't think to bring a Mic.

Tom45

Blues Newbie
I've been lurking here for quite a while listening to some good guitar playing by all of you.  I'm not even close to being able to do what you guys are doing but by listening to your playing I'm trying to figure out what you're doing, like the types of licks your using and what box you are in.  This recording has some cool licks I'd like to study, so I'm going to save this recording and isolate the licks and try and figure some of them out.

I hope some of will respond and help me out a little with some questions I have:

RR: Are you playing most of your licks in box 1?

Marv said his licks are in box 1 & 2 - thanks Marv

Chuck:  Yours sound like they are in box 2?

Your responses will make it a little easier to try and figure out all these great licks.

Chuck

Staff member
Tom, I start out sliding into box 2 and then walk it down to box 1.

You need to jump in with whatever you can do. Everybody here will help you out.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Tom45...FWIW...I will use all the boxes...if I do 24 bars, I usually use 1 and 2 with some 3 on the first 12 and then try to use 4 & 5 in the second 12...I'm trying to get a grasp of the first three strings along the entire fretboard and hopefully increase the use of the 4 & 5 strings...sometimes I even move up an octave...

one thing I would encourage is for you to jump in and record 12 or 24 on these tracks...everyone here is supportive and will give you good suggestions...plus you will be able to track your progress over time...great place to start and like the rest of us, you will be your own worst critic...later.

cowboy

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
I've been lurking here for quite a while listening to some good guitar playing by all of you.  I'm not even close to being able to do what you guys are doing but by listening to your playing I'm trying to figure out what you're doing, like the types of licks your using and what box you are in.  This recording has some cool licks I'd like to study, so I'm going to save this recording and isolate the licks and try and figure some of them out.

I hope some of will respond and help me out a little with some questions I have:

RR: Are you playing most of your licks in box 1?

Marv said his licks are in box 1 & 2 - thanks Marv

Chuck:  Yours sound like they are in box 2?

Your responses will make it a little easier to try and figure out all these great licks.

Not all of my licks were in box 2.  I think I started off in box 4, which, on the high strings, is essentially box 2 shifted down a string for easier bends. The ending stuff was definitely walking in and out of boxes 1 & 2, playing not only the notes of the scales but the notes between them.

If there are particular licks you have in mind and you are having trouble replicating them, identify them by their timestamps and I'm sure the players will be able to at least come close to telling you how they were played. 

Nice playin', Chuck! I like the sound of the TC.  [smiley=beer.gif]

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
sweet, sweet job guys... [smiley=beer.gif]...really liked the playing... [smiley=beer.gif]... and Jim's vocals... [smiley=beer.gif]...gonna give it a shot when I get home...later.

cowboy

Chuck

Staff member
Nice follow up Dan! Man, I can sure hear the improvements since you first jumped in! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Tom45...FWIW...I will use all the boxes...if I do 24 bars, I usually use 1 and 2 with some 3 on the first 12 and then try to use 4 & 5 in the second 12...I'm trying to get a grasp of the first three strings along the entire fretboard and hopefully increase the use of the 4 & 5 strings...sometimes I even move up an octave...

one thing I would encourage is for you to jump in and record 12 or 24 on these tracks...everyone here is supportive and will give you good suggestions...plus you will be able to track your progress over time...great place to start and like the rest of us, you will be your own worst critic...later.

cowboy
Tom45, I'm pretty much like Cowboy ... all of my playing on this track was in boxes 1 & 2 and mostly just in box 1.  But I usually do slide up into box 3 a bit as well.  I know boxes 4 & 5, but haven't gotten many box 4/5 licks stashed in my "vocabulary" yet.  I am VERY lick oriented.  To me, one lick fits one box and only one box ... the fact that you can use music theory to play those same notes in some other box is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT to me because doing so means different FINGERING for that lick, which makes it a DIFFERENT LICK ENTIRELY.  My WHOLE FOCUS on learning to play blues guitar is to build a huge vocabulary of licks for each box and know them all like the back of my hand.

But regardless how you approach things, like Cowboy, I STRONGLY urge you to just jump in here and START!  You will be AMAZED at how much it helps your playing!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Nice follow up Dan! Man, I can sure hear the improvements since you first jumped in! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
+++1 to that!  Dan, your playing improves literally every time I hear you, and your tone is steadily improving as well!  This one was particularly sweet.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Sounding good, Dan!  [smiley=beer.gif]

RR, your sound/tone/whatever(!) on this was really cool.  Do you happen to recall what the setup was/settings were?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Sounding good, Dan!  [smiley=beer.gif]

RR, your sound/tone/whatever(!) on this was really cool.  Do you happen to recall what the setup was/settings were?
Yeah, it was my standard Mustang III '65 Twin preset that I use most of the time and my ES339 neck with volume and tone all the way up (as usual).  But I'm at work right now, so can't give you the exact bass/mid/treble settings but I know the vol/gain are both on 10 and the speaker cab is the '65 Twin cab and the bright switch is on.  And I had the BBE Sonic Stomp before the amp with both knobbies at high noon, and my Aphex Xciter just before that and my TC Arena Reverb just before that.  The preset also uses a little internal stompbox compression and a little bit of stomp box spring reverb.

The Aphex Xciter pedal does make a difference, and if you don't already have one you're pretty much SOL because they are discontinued and I can't even find a single used one on ebay or anywhere else.
http://www.aphex.com/products/legacy/xciter/
They do still offer rack-mount versions of it however.

Oh!  Almost forgot.  My fingers were set on "sloppy".   ;)

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Thanks! I have both the Sonic Stomp and Aural Exciter. Was using them pretty regularly for awhile. Moved some stuff around and haven't hooked 'em back up yet.  I think I'll bring them back online.  Do you think it's beneficial to have the reverb before them (as opposed to internal reverb)?  One thing I haven't picked up is a reverb pedal.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Thanks! I have both the Sonic Stomp and Aural Exciter. Was using them pretty regularly for awhile. Moved some stuff around and haven't hooked 'em back up yet.  I think I'll bring them back online.  Do you think it's beneficial to have the reverb before them (as opposed to internal reverb)?  One thing I haven't picked up is a reverb pedal.
I don't think it matters if the reverb is before or after them.  I just stuck my TC Arena before them just so they process that along with everything else.  On the other hand, the INTERNAL Mustang reverb/s are NOT processed by these pedals.  Both of my Mustang '65 Twin presets have some internal reverb ... one uses the stomp box spring reverb, the other the simulated rack-mount reverb, and both sound just fine.  When I want an extra dose of reverb I will turn on the TC Arena reverb as well (It is on for this track), set on it's extra-lush "Royal" setting.  I usually do have it turned on, and just adjust the reverb level from song to song.  There's just something about a reverb running into another reverb that makes for ... well ... REVERB.

Here's a pic from Fuse of ALL of the settings for that preset.