BPM Tore Down Lesson 6

Mike8307

Blues Newbie
Love the lessons but I miss not seeing the tempo or BPM listed on the music. 

The slow speed backing track is too slow and the regular speed still trips me up a bit.  I like to work up to speed and then past the speed in 5 or 10 BPM on my metronome.  If I can get the piece at BPM +10 then I'm really comfortable when I back off to the standard BPM.

Anyway.. does anyone know the BPM for the Tore Down lesson? 

Thanks

chemeagle

Blues Newbie
40 measures times 4 beats per measure and the backing track goes for about 1.5 minutes.  I am figuring ~105 BPM.

You may have a tool for tap tempo but this one is handy http://www.beatsperminuteonline.com/  you can just tap your spacebar.   This gets pretty close. 

On CD1 Track 24 I got 118bpm.  Then I generated a click track in  Audacity at 120bpm and lined up the clicks with the beats in the track.  My guess is it is pretty close to 120bpm.  YMMV  :)

Hello Mike8307. 

I can't answer your question on bpm  of BGU Tore Down lesson, but i can tell you that when i was going through BGU i usually played the CD tracks in audacity software (free download) which allowed the tempo to easily be increased and decreased without changing the pitch. 

I don't think i could have done some of the lessons without it.

Mike8307

Blues Newbie
Thanks for all your help.

Scott, don't forget the 2 count-in measures that don't appear on the sheet.  So using that method it would come to 112 BPM, but 120 BPM sounds like a nice round number, (thanks to BSH).

I have audacity, and have used it.  Funny how I can get a better recording from Audacity than from other packages that have 100's of bells and whistles that I've gotten as add on's from other purchases. 

A tap tempo button on a metronome is be a brilliant idea. I'll have to check that link. 

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for all your help.

Scott, don't forget the 2 count-in measures that don't appear on the sheet.  So using that method it would come to 112 BPM, but 120 BPM sounds like a nice round number, (thanks to BSH).

I have audacity, and have used it.  Funny how I can get a better recording from Audacity than from other packages that have 100's of bells and whistles that I've gotten as add on's from other purchases. 

A tap tempo button on a metronome is be a brilliant idea. I'll have to check that link. 

I use a free app for my Android phone called Metronome Beats. It also has a tap feature that works great.

Bret

Blues Newbie
If you want to put out a couple of bucks the Boss DB-30 has tap tempo functionality.  It's a nice little unit and I find it to be a very useful tool.  But I am old school and not in to using my smart phone for the free apps....maybe to my own detriment ;)

Mike8307

Blues Newbie
The metronome that I have, and actually use, is the DMT1 from DeltaLab

You can set it to triplets and a swing feel as well as syncopation.  Very customizable. 

It is the first metronome that I've ever had that I actually use fairly consistently.   Because, lets be truthful.  We all own 1 or 2 that we've never used more than a day or two.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
There is thread elsewhere about an Android app called smartChord that has a metronome (and a gazillion other features). The metronome has a tap tempo feature.

And it's free.

Blues_Dude

Love Dem N'Awlins Blues
The fast speed of the Tore Down track is 120bpm.  The slow version is at 76bpm.  When I was on this lesson, as I was learning, the slow version became to slow for a challenge, but the fast version was to fast, so I used a software to get a version at 100bpm.  That's when everything changed and I was able to build up to the fast version.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
There is thread elsewhere about an Android app called smartChord that has a metronome (and a gazillion other features). The metronome has a tap tempo feature.

And it's free.

There is also Mobile Metronome Pro.  (I don't know if "Pro" means I paid for that version vs. a free version.)  But it is a great metronome with a "Tap" function. there's a lot of them.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I did a list of all the metronome settings. This is from the 2.0 edition but it'll be nearly identical if not exact.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yz3ont5mv6ltclp/BGU2%20Tempos%20BPM.pdf?dl=0

Griff

scott a

Blues Newbie
I know this is an old thread but in case someone stumbles on it like I just did I'll reply anyway.

I had the same issue as a few others- I got the slow version down pretty easily after a short amount of practice but (I think because my flying fingers are too inefficient) I'm struggling getting the fast version down.

Because it's eighth notes (right?) I just doubled that on my metronome (or you can find a youtube click track at any speed if you haven't got one) so it works out to one click per note (ie 240 bpm). It turns out that I can play it at 230 but when I go that extra bit faster I start OK but eventually crash and burn. At least now I know where I am and can practice in the right zone, and it's less demoralising to realise how close I probably am.

Anyway, I post this in case anyone else felt like the wheels fell off the blues bus when they came to lesson 6. I feel your pain but I think it can be conquered if you inch up to it.