Studio One S1 Mixdown Question

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
One of the guys who frequents the same Presonus Livestreams that I do put out a series of demos and tutorials on creating techno, ambient and trance music quite a few years ago. I found one of his audio tracks on Youtube that goes through a series of bass tones, starting at 10Hz. I'm not sure what Youtube uses for audio shaping, so I'm not sure how faithfully the really low stuff is, but on my system, the first identified tone I can hear/feel is 30Hz. You might give this a listen and see what your system will reproduce. I suggest that anyone who listens to it does so without any loudness compensation enabled, which boosts the low end. The link should start at about 1:09 into the video, which is where the identified tones begin.
https://youtu.be/IyVloheaSTI?t=109
Speaking of what you can hear and what you can't,
I'm very good at the low end but, for years I've known my high frequency hearing is shot.
I'm told that's pretty normal as you age however if you've ever had a hearing test, It's disheartening to see the results.
For somebody trying to be a musician and mixer It's a bit scary for me to realize how much I'm missing.

There are a few hearing tests out there, this one is just a continuous sweep low - high:

Last edited:
Reactions: dvs

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Speaking of what you can hear and what you can't,
I'm very good at the low end but, for years I've known my high frequency hearing is shot.
I'm told that's pretty normal as you age however if you've ever had a hearing test, It's disheartening to see the results.
For somebody trying to be a musician and mixer It's a bit scary for me to realize how much I'm missing.

There are a few hearing tests out there, this one is just a continuous sweep low - high:

Probably a dozen years ago, while my youngest was still living at home, he and a buddy were going through some kind of online hearing test, mapping individual hearing up to 20khz. I walked into his room and mentioned about how my hearing was shot from my misspent youth of standing in front of very large amplifiers. They had me clamp on the headphones (Koss Pro-4AA), which should be reasonably flat to about 16khz. The test started at 20Khz and each tone stepped down. I was supposed to let them know when I finally heard a tone. I had my back turned to them, so I couldn't see what they were doing. After almost a minute I could hear them laughing, so I pulled off the phones to ask what was so funny.

They said they were down to 14Khz and it was so loud they could hear it outside my headphones (which are closed back and very well isolated), while I heard nothing.

I've since checked it several times and it's down to nearly 10Khz top end. The funny thing is, while I can't hear higher test tones, I can certainly hear the difference in coloration change when low-pass filters are applied to music recordings with healthy high-end overtones. Go figure!

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Wow, my ears give up at about 9.4 kHz!

This makes me somewhat fearful that my "rig" could be producing sounds I can't hear that would drive an audience out of the building (although that might provide a much better excuse than blaming it on my performance).

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Wow, my ears give up at about 9.4 kHz!

This makes me somewhat fearful that my "rig" could be producing sounds I can't hear that would drive an audience out of the building (although that might provide a much better excuse than blaming it on my performance).
I've had the same thoughts that my recordings might be too shrill.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Several years ago I had to go through extensive training, testing and documentation to comply with Coastguard requirements to gain a Ships Captain license. That's when the Dr. gave me the bad news about my hearing loss.
Since then I try to wear a hearing protection in loud environments, of course that coincided with my deeper involvement in guitar playing:rolleyes:.
Oh well, when I die the grim reaper can sneak up on me and I won't hear him coming:whistle:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Interesting, my hearing must be better than I thought, I picked it up at around 28Hz and finally lost it at 12.5KHz. No more excuses for bad mixes then :sick: