Sultans of Swing

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Wow wow i cant believe it! Im trying the song playing chords it cooks along pretty quick ...

Seems like straight feel can count it 1 and 2 and etc but easier to just count 1 2 3 4

Timing on some of chords changes seems like will take some practice especially on the verses with extra lines

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Seems like straight feel can count it 1 and 2 and etc but easier to just count 1 2 3 4
Definitely straight feel. To be sure you're counting it right, listen to the recording and remember that the snare is on the 2 and 4. And it definitely moves along. I worked on parts of this one a couple of years ago, and, if I remember correctly, the music showed it at 145.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I worked on parts of this one a couple of years ago, and, if I remember correctly, the music showed it at 145.

Yeah thanks no i was fine counting it and keeping up and making most of the chord changes ... yeah its rolling along ...

I have become so much better at counting its getting burned into automatic in the brain cells! Theres this genius here he keeps repeating you need to keep counting till you dont need to ...

Paul W

Blues Newbie
Whew! That sure does move along. Do-able but barely.
I use some partial single finger chords to get the speed up, before I get much into it, I would like to see what Griff's chord ideas are.

Also, my favorite version of this song is from Alchemy.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Hmmm. Another descending Harmonic minor progression.

Where have I heard one of those before?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Im using open chords...

If you play barre chords (E or A shapes) it's easier to see that you descend Dm-C-Bb-A7.

Just follow the roots: D-C-Bb-A.

A7 (V7) in a Dm progression is a "red flag" for Harmonic minor over the A7 chord.

If we played "Hotel California" in D minor we'd have: Dm-A7-C-G-Bb-F-Gm-A7.

The same basic progression. :sneaky:

(Del Shannon ran away with it, too.)

Last edited: