Fix-It question for Griff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
During my fix-it, when I said I had trouble with the G7th capo "holding on" to the bends, you mentioned a that I need a better capo....
I just used the G7th because it was easier to flick off with my thumb, but I usually use a Kyser. What would your recommendation be for a GOOD capo?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Been watching this one, Mike, because I was curious what the "official BGU" answer was going to be.

That said, I've used Shubb capos since the 90s, and have never had any issues with them no matter what I've done with them. I just lied. One took a couple of chunks out of the back of the neck on one of my Martins when I decided to try some partial capo-ing, but that was my fault and not the capo. Other than that, no issues. Don't generally have to retune after putting them on. Don't generally have problems if I bend a note.

The thing I've found with bending (at least using the Shubb) is making sure that I don't have the capo over tight. You can adjust how tight a Shubb clamps down...from thumpy strings to perfect to pulling everything sharp. For bends, just be sure it's loose enough to let the string move under it, but not so tight as to keep the string from moving back when the bend is done. I've also found that's usually a little easier if I have the capo up close to the fret and not in the middle of the fret symmetrically between the two wires.

I've tried some of the other brands (G7, Kyser, PW, and Dunlop off the top of my head) and, for how I play, none of the others have made the cut. OK, I just lied again. I do keep a couple of partial-cut Kysers just because they're partial-cut. But, the capo I use more than anything and is in my pocket on the occasions I play out is my Shubb.

Imho, it's the best capo on the market, but as always, that and a fiver will get you a Big Mac combo at the arches if you add a couple of bucks to it.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, I'm surprised that @Griff hasn't chimed in.
My G7 allows you to adjust the pressure where the Kyser don't. Maybe I'll order a couple of Shubbs and see how it goes.
Ok, not maybe... Just ordered an L1 & a C1k

Jack

Blues Junior
I think I'll order a Shubb for my 12 string. My Kyser has that "thumb grip" I guess you'd call it that sticks up and makes it difficult to play that F#7 chord in Hotel California. I'm kind of mad at it anyway - being for a 12 string it's got a pretty strong spring in it, and the other day I was taking it off, my fingers were a little oily or whatever, so it flew out of my hand and where oh where did it go? Straight into my forehead of course :LOL:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
After I listened to the session, I tried bending with my Kyser capo and it did the same thing that Mike described - it held the string bent at the capo. I don't think I ever tried bending with a capo before, so I learned something - don't bend!
I found another Tommy Emmanuel video where he gave a tip on installing a capo. It looks like he uses a Kyser.

https://youtu.be/qqYlFeCa6CU

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I use a capo so rarely, that I'm not sure I know of a "good" one... but I've pretty much always used Kyser or Shubb as well.

My guess is that there is a sweet spot on the Shubb - not too much pressure to push notes sharp, but still hold them well enough to bend.

Or maybe not, I can't say as I've ever run into that problem. What does Albert Collins use, he bends constantly with a capo?