Not a blues, but....

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I can't quite figure out his tuning, but it ain't quite Standard. He "re-tuned" one (or more) of the upper strings?

Last edited:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Here is what I think he is doing.
Tuning is a hybrid: E A D F# A D
Play the G chord as 3 X 5 5 5 5
Play the Am as 5 X 5 6 7 7
Play the C chord as 8 X 10 10 10 10

It feels odd at first, and because he has the long 4 jointed thumb, he can play the bass notes wrap around
which is very difficult for me. But after playing it a few times, it gets easier.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

It feels odd at first, and because he has the long 4 jointed thumb, he can play the bass notes wrap around
which is very difficult for me. But after playing it a few times, it gets easier.
Interesting. That sure could be it. They don't sounds great when I play them but it still could be right. I'm not sure it's worth retuning and learning those fingerings for just one song.

david moon

Attempting the Blues

"Play the Am as 5 X 5 6 7 7"

Wouldn't the 5th string, 5th fret make it Am7?

A x G C E A

Except for the 6th string, it is an open D tuning. If you tuned the 6th string to D, you could play the major chords by barring across all 6 strings. Of course you wouldn't have to play all 6. The thumb over the top technique would probably still work and could mute the 5th string. The Am7 could be played:

X 0 5 6 7 7

and the thumb over top could mute the 6th string.On the other hand, with the original tuning, the Am7 is a movable shape and could also be used for Bm7, Em7 etc.

In the original tuning, if you wanted Am without the 7, there might be a way to finger this: 5 X 7 6 7 7

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I didn't think about alternate tunings. I always try to avoid that . (Takes too much time on stage) I guess I'll just stick with standard tuning G Am C
Thanks guys.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I didn't think about alternate tunings. I always try to avoid that . (Takes too much time on stage) I guess I'll just stick with standard tuning G Am C
Thanks guys.
Mike, good excuse to get another guitar for alternate tuning. Then just switch guitars on stage when you need to!

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Interesting. I'm not sure it's worth retuning and learning those fingerings for just one song.

I think if you dig deep enough, you will find that Barry left his guitar tuned more or less that way ALL the time. I don't think he ever played in standard tuning.

Here they are on debut on Australian TV, 1960 - Barry's guitar is open-tuned !!! That same chord shape that he is using in "Massachusetts".

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/collection/curated/bee-gees-first-national-tv-performance

Last edited: