How to get the BGU sound ?

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Maybe not actually. It has a silver face and is the 68 reissue. It doesn't matter. I like it.
The 68 Vibrolux Reverb is a super cool amp, but it is a bit of a departure from the original "blackface" circuit. However, yours is probably a lot more reliable :)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Or, a bluesbreaker style pedal with a little more gain into a Fender style amp will get very close. Lots of ways to get there or really close.
My MicroPro set on its "Fender Clean" (Surf) voicing and the limiter set about half way up with my J. Rockett Dude pedal in front of it gets very close to what I hear on that album. Close, but not exactly there. But close enough to make me grin ear to ear even with my dufus playing.

My Carvin Legacy tube amp also gets very close to it (the original two-channel Legacy head). But I don't use that any more other than very infrequently. Mine is still like new, in pristine condition.

Thank you for chiming in here Griff. I think your input probably avoided a lot of pointless "argument". ;)

Last edited:

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
Until the middle of page 3 I just thought „OMG what have I started ??“, but the information provided by Griff gave me a very good starter to play around with settings. Thanks a lot !

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
If I had never seen it before, I should definitely see now why I've never been able to quite copy Griff's sound (besides the fact that he's the maestro and we're all just padawans). Looking at his list from his album, I see a definite Marshall trend in his equipment, where I tend to migrate toward a more Vox-y sound. But I will confess, something about his tone on that C to D hammer-on at the beginning of the Bourbon and a Pistol solo always grabs my attention. That's the way a guitar should sound right there.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
If I had never seen it before, I should definitely see now why I've never been able to quite copy Griff's sound (besides the fact that he's the maestro and we're all just padawans). Looking at his list from his album, I see a definite Marshall trend in his equipment, where I tend to migrate toward a more Vox-y sound. But I will confess, something about his tone on that C to D hammer-on at the beginning of the Bourbon and a Pistol solo always grabs my attention. That's the way a guitar should sound right there.

I like the sound / tone of "Someone" better. A little cleaner. This is the tone that rolls my socks up and down.

Last edited: