What's Your Favorite Key?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
My wife and I had this discussion a couple of weeks ago. If I'm listening, I'm always partial to minor keys. Have been since I was a kid. I even had someone in high school tell me that, had they not known me, judging from the music I listened to, they'd think I was always depressed. I just love the minor sound.

But playing, I'd have to say either E or G. Why? When I pick up a guitar at the house or at the store or where ever, I always immediately do one of two things. I either play a 3 octave E maj pent scale starting on the low open E, pausing ever so slightly after a flourish when I hit the 2nd octave at the 2nd string 5th fret and concluding on the 1st string at the 12th fret. Or I'll grab an open G and play a little G - D - Cadd9 strum pattern. After I do that, I'll either play the guitar or I won't. I guess those are kind of my version of pulling up to the free throw line and bouncing the ball twice and spinning it before you shoot the free throw. It's those little habits.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My wife and I had this discussion a couple of weeks ago. If I'm listening, I'm always partial to minor keys. Have been since I was a kid. I even had someone in high school tell me that, had they not known me, judging from the music I listened to, they'd think I was always depressed. I just love the minor sound.

But playing, I'd have to say either E or G. Why? When I pick up a guitar at the house or at the store or where ever, I always immediately do one of two things. I either play a 3 octave E maj pent scale starting on the low open E, pausing ever so slightly after a flourish when I hit the 2nd octave at the 2nd string 5th fret and concluding on the 1st string at the 12th fret. Or I'll grab an open G and play a little G - D - Cadd9 strum pattern. After I do that, I'll either play the guitar or I won't. I guess those are kind of my version of pulling up to the free throw line and bouncing the ball twice and spinning it before you shoot the free throw. It's those little habits.
For some reason I strum an open E chord, if that feels good I'll give it a test run

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist

I love minor keys too.
And my favorite "just sat down" strum is the Allman Brothers style version of "Stormy Monday".
I love that particular progression.