Poor DVD Quality in the Blues Solo Lessons

Ralfk

Blues Newbie
Hi all, hopefully this is the proper place for this question. I purchased the Blues Solo Course a while ago, and when I finally got around to starting the lessons, I discovered that the quality of the video on all of the dvd's in the course were pretty poor quality. There is a weird shimmery thing going on with the fretboard and strings, which makes it almost impossible to watch. I know both of my dvd players are fine. I contacted BGU and they were kind enough to send a replacement set. I tried them out yesterday and it's the same problem, unwatchable video quality. Has anyone else run into this issue? I really want to go through this course, but am pretty frustrated by the poor video quality. I have watched hundreds of hours of other guitar dvd lessons over the years and have never run into this problem before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Almost every course Griff has is a " Blues Solo Course". If you can tell me the the exact name of the course I can check mine.
Does it work ok when you stream it from the member page?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I have the DVD version of every course that has one.

I haven't found any that are "unwatchable". :confused:

Ralfk

Blues Newbie
Almost every course Griff has is a " Blues Solo Course". If you can tell me the the exact name of the course I can check mine.
Does it work ok when you stream it from the member page?
It's the Blues Solo Construction Kit, both Slow Blues Feel and Shuffle Feel that I'm having trouble with. All of the dvd's in both Kits have the same problem. I didn't know I can stream these lessons. I'll try to figure out where that is. Probably my courses list. I just checked out the online versions and they are fine. So problem solved I can at least stream them. Who knows what's going on with my dvd's.

Ralfk

Blues Newbie
DVDs have some restrictions on where in the world they can be played. where are you located?

Maybe a moot point if you can stream and are OK with that.
That's not the issue, since I'm in Seattle. But at least I now know I can stream the lessons.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Remember that DVDS are actually the lowest quality media I can make, from a dpi standpoint. Max resolution is magnitudes worse than streaming at 1080p or even 720p downloads. If your TV is large, that will be obvious with the horizontal lines of the strings, especially.

Ralfk

Blues Newbie
Remember that DVDS are actually the lowest quality media I can make, from a dpi standpoint. Max resolution is magnitudes worse than streaming at 1080p or even 720p downloads. If your TV is large, that will be obvious with the horizontal lines of the strings, especially.
HI thanks for the reply. Actually I mostly watch these dvd's on my laptop, so small screen. And the weird looking shimmery strings and fretboard happen on both my laptop and my large screen tv to same extent. In all the other various dvd lessons I've purchased from other teachers, I have never seen this type of problem. It's definitely a puzzler. At least I can stream this lesson pack.

Griff

Staff member
I'll take a look and see if there is anything I can do about that. I have to admit that I don't really know what goes on behind the scenes with the encoding process and all that. I push a button to make the DVD encoding, and the computer does it. Maybe there are some options, somewhere, that will improve the look of the strings, in particular.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I really know next to nothing about computer video, but could it be a setting on your computers? Refresh rate or resolution?
My settings are:
Refresh Rate 60Hz,
Bit Depth 8-bit,
Resolution 1920x1080 (yours will depend on your screen size)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Curiosity has forced me to break open the shrink wrap on these 2 courses.

(I originally downloaded them to flash drive when I did them.)

Watching the DVDS on my MacBook, iMac and even a small TV, I see exactly what @Ralfk is talking about.

This would end up hypnotizing me or at least cause a headache.

You'll see it too if you load up a DVD. :)

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I guess I always streamed it by the time I got around to the course cause mine is as you say also. So I guess I never watched it in DVD until now and it is strange

Rob63

Make It Your Own
Hi all, hopefully this is the proper place for this question. I purchased the Blues Solo Course a while ago, and when I finally got around to starting the lessons, I discovered that the quality of the video on all of the dvd's in the course were pretty poor quality. There is a weird shimmery thing going on with the fretboard and strings, which makes it almost impossible to watch. I know both of my dvd players are fine. I contacted BGU and they were kind enough to send a replacement set. I tried them out yesterday and it's the same problem, unwatchable video quality. Has anyone else run into this issue? I really want to go through this course, but am pretty frustrated by the poor video quality. I have watched hundreds of hours of other guitar dvd lessons over the years and have never run into this problem before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Perhaps a contrast issue on whatever you are using to view. Roll back the contrast will likely take the shimmer out.

Griff

Staff member
It might also be an interlacing artifact? Just wondering if you have the option to turn interlacing on or off, if that matters?