Lesson 10

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
I'm doing exactly that in BGU 2.0 - I made "Playlist"s in VLC Media Player of the Jam Tracks for Lessons 1-5, then similarly for Lessons 6-7, etc. and saved all the Playlists in a folder where they are easy to access. At the begining of the day I just double-click the Lessons 1-5 playlist and it plays the Jam Tracks one after the other and I play along. That way I review 5 lessons in about 5 minutes and I can do it as many times and for as long as I feel the need or the impulse. I'm on Lesson 11 and 12 at the moment, but I'm continually reviewing the first 10 using this method, and I figure that since it's working so well, I'll continue the same wa
I'm doing exactly that in BGU 2.0 - I made "Playlist"s in VLC Media Player of the Jam Tracks for Lessons 1-5, then similarly for Lessons 6-7, etc. and saved all the Playlists in a folder where they are easy to access. At the begining of the day I just double-click the Lessons 1-5 playlist and it plays the Jam Tracks one after the other and I play along. That way I review 5 lessons in about 5 minutes and I can do it as many times and for as long as I feel the need or the impulse. I'm on Lesson 11 and 12 at the moment, but I'm continually reviewing the first 10 using this method, and I figure that since it's working so well, I'll continue the same way for the whole course.
b.
I like that idea of continual review. I think I will start that myself! I keep pecking away at lesson 10. I have a guitar on a stand that I'm can grab.

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
If you can't play at 40 bpm. Try setting the metronome at 60bpm and play on the 1 and 3 beats this will be 30bpm. Or anything slower. At 40bpm and only play the first beat in the bar you can slow down to 10bpm if needed.

Lesson 10 was as far as I got in ABGU as I couldn't get the little chords upto 60bpm. Must go back to it soon.

cheers

Al.

Don't let those nasty "little chords" stop you, Al! Just stick with it. I know for me it is a matter of how fast I can hone in on those root note location and associate the chords shapes with them. Fingering speed will eventually happen, but not until that association speeds up in my brain.

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
I am sticking to this like a little tick. (Thanks for your encouraging words. Silicon Valley Tom!) I am starting to see the fruits of my labor. After struggling trying to gulp the whole thing in one bite, I realized that my brain was the least common denominator here. My fingers could only work as fast as my brain and my brain was definitely not going anywhere near 60 bpm. In order to have any hope of accomplishing that, I would have break this into the parts that connect: location of root notes on the fretboard, the chord forms and the location of the root note in each chord form which occupies a unique string. Once that was studied, I would have to ask my brain to associate that all together with some immediacy in order to get fast.
I kept working on it and it and the association is forming. What I am doing is putting all the E7s, A7s and B7s on 3 separate 5x8 cards in "root note string order" four chords per card and playing them through from left through right (Root note on D string, then G string, etc.) I practiced and now can play that arrangement at 60 bpm. I will next move to accomplishing the same with A7 and B7 chords. Then I will play them in the order they appear in out text. I think the key is to take this gradually and move it towards the desired target. Then once this is ingrained I think it is quite possible to do, but it takes tenacity. In the meantime, I'm reviewing which should put me into a great position once I hit the 14th lesson. I think this will take as long as it will take and you shouldn't sabotage your progress by backing off of it.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Don't want to be pushy, but if you put the 5th string root notes on your "Little 7th Chord Root Notes" chart you'll have the root that "bridges the gap" between shapes 2 and 3.

You'll have all the "octave shapes" except those that involve the 6th string (which would be the same fret as "shape 4") . :sneaky:

Then the roots for CAGED shapes (as well as the roots for any scale, arpeggio or chord) will mostly be a review. :whistle:

Notes don't move. :)

Just a thought.

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
Don't want to be pushy, but if you put the 5th string root notes on your "Little 7th Chord Root Notes" chart you'll have the root that "bridges the gap" between shapes 2 and 3.

You'll have all the "octave shapes" except those that involve the 6th string (which would be the same fret as "shape 4") . :sneaky:

Then the roots for CAGED shapes (as well as the roots for any scale, arpeggio or chord) will mostly be a review. :whistle:

Notes don't move. :)

Just a thought.
Thanks Paleo! That wasn't "pushy" at all. Its interesting! You've got me fascinated about that CAGED course. That will be my next "Golden Ticket Acquisition" at the end of February, complete with whatever book, CD/DVDs accompany it. This is as fascinating as I am stubborn to learn it. I think you really have to analyze what going on with it to make it more relatable, and then just stick with it until you "own" it. Learning those four movable chord shapes also gives you something additional far beyond the scope of the Lesson. Your input is very much appreciated and one of the reasons I like this forum so much. It is almost like a huge discussion group.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Learning those four movable chord shapes also gives you something additional far beyond the scope of the Lesson.
Exactly.

They'll lead to a long string of connected "aha" moments in the future.

I like to give members a little nudge in the right direction whenever I can so that it doesn't take them 50 years to arrive at those moments.

Like it did for a lot of others.

Including me. :)

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
Thanks, Paleo. I just turned 70. I don't have 50 years left and am happy for all the guidance I can get. I am having a lot of fun with these courses and the All Access Pass has amplified everything and added another dimension to my Blues Guitar Journey. The forum and Webinars add a personal touch that is particularly positive in the new "pandemic climate". In my "offline life" I dont know anyone who plays an instrument of any kind, let alone guitar.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Thanks, Paleo. I just turned 70. I don't have 50 years left and am happy for all the guidance I can get. I am having a lot of fun with these courses and the All Access Pass has amplified everything and added another dimension to my Blues Guitar Journey. The forum and Webinars add a personal touch that is particularly positive in the new "pandemic climate". In my "offline life" I dont know anyone who plays an instrument of any kind, let alone guitar.
Glad you got the AAP. It's a tremendous value. Not only for the special events but you can take a look and dip into any of the courses. (Just turned 70 myself)

It seems like you are a visually oriented learner, so keep doing the diagrams and color coding that works for you.

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
Whatever you do, STICK WITH THIS UNTIL YOU GET IT! I used three 6"x8" index cards and the 12 fret stamp I had bought on Amazon. I made an E7, A7 and B7 card and stamped each one with 4 fretboards. I filled in my stamped fretboards with the chords in Root Note Order: D string first, followed by G,B and E. I marked the root notes in red. I stuck the cards up on the easel I use for music. I have two guitars out on stands where I can just grab them when the spirit moves me, which is often. After playing through all 12 chord arrangements multiple times during a day, I am starting to remember them in order, without having to use the cards. Am I up to 60 BPM? Not yet, but I have come so far by just being persistent that I will just continue to practice and practice it until it is part of my DNA. I have every reason in the world to feel I will succeed......as long as I don't give up as Silicon Valley Tom says.

Elwood

Blues
I just wanted to add my support and respect for those struggling to get through these little chords.

Of course, being on here I have great appreciation for Griff's teaching. For me, so far, two things from Griff's course material have had the greatest impact for me learning and playing. This lesson 10 page and the pent. boxes. These two things make up my daily routine, my warm up, hand therapy, keep moving stuff. Thanks @Griff!!!

Since I'm not the best "student" per se (my mind goes to planning emergency exit routes at the sight of flash cards - no dis here for anyone, quite the opposite, if it works, yeah!) I went after this the old way. Starting with the music stand, the charts, and my ability to sound E7, A7, & B7 in the open position I just hammered it out. learn one chord, then another, then transition. Repeat, repeat, repeat until the chords and patterns are internalized. I will never memorize the "name" for everything, no use trying. I can repeat until it works though. I just offer this as encouragement for any out there that might see this as too big a task, or like me just can't take the added complexity of remembering what it was that I was supposed to remember to help me remember. Repetition works too :) Another thought, run these chord inversions down to the open position and up to the octave, I don't practice that way but I think it helps me visualize/embrace how the patterns shift along the fingerboard, I hope :)

Why do I feel the pent boxes and these chords are sooooo huge, such a big deal? Because I can't even imagine how many times, while repeating the same lessons over and over, I "hear" passages, or phrases, from tunes, or part of a chord structure that I didn't understand before, from something unrelated to what I am practicing. This stuff is that neat, at least to me. (naw, it's huge!)

Try, when you are playing some normal progression and you come up to the 5 (dom 7th) flip in one or two of those 7th inversions you have been practicing. Magic! You can hear this has been done before :), and it can help to build tension, or follow the melody, or just sound cool. Same with the pent boxes, play 'em, stare out the window, let your mind go. Unless I'm getting interference from my fillings, this is another time when familiar melodies will wander in through your imagination and make sense. (And another Gem that I picked up listening to Tommy Emmanual, try to make the metronome sound good. That can really pass the time and is so much more fun that developing an adverse relationship with it, just sharing)

Anyway, that is why I love these lessons, share your joy when I read of your progress, and get all silly to encourage you to keep on working it. I will.

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
Hi, Elwood. I have actually gotten somewhere. I have memorized all 12 forms in "root string order" Es first next As then Bs. I now have that sense of "immediacy" with those chords that I can only get by actually having them memorized. This has actually allowed me to speed up playing through them and I can work up to going through them at 60 BPM. In the meantime, I reviewed earlier lessons as I learned Lesson 10. There is an expression "Nothing succeeds like success." Which is true. Having perservered on those chords to make them "part of my DNA" has built my confidence to work at playing them at 60 BPM, which in turn will encourage me to take on other challenges. I am a very visual learner and have to understand the structure of anything Im studying. Understanding structure tends to simplify things.

Elwood

Blues
No doubt you are getting it!!! It comes through that you will get it, very cool!!!

I don't know how you measure when you "have it". Lots of ways to gauge. One way for me is when I realize I can move through what I'm doing with gentle control on the left fingers. Sort of like dialing, or typing, when you're not spun up. That easy, enough is enough, touch. When I find my left hand is getting to that point with something I feel like I can work controlling how the right hand sounds the notes better. yadda yadda yadda.....

You guys got me fired up with this thread! :thumbup:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
@Stephanie-NoelDodt

I've been reviewing some of the AAP sessions in the archives recently.

You may find this one of interest: "Technique" from 1-4-19 titled "3 And 4 Note Chord Inversions".

Be sure to download the pdf. :)

Last edited:

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
Well I have closed in on Lesson 10 and running through all 12 chords, E7s A7s and B7s each in "root string" order by memory. I am pretty close to 60 BPM and I keep going over it to maintain that sense of immediacy I have developed and work on my speed. I am continually returning to this subject matter on a daily basis, while progressing to other lessons. I am working on Lesson 12, having had some prior exposure to the 12 Bar Blues Form. I started fooling around with it by playing the 12 bar form by working through it in every key as shown in the illustration of I IV and V chords in every key.
Right now I am really appreciating that very tough Lesson 10 as I am using what I learned to create a lot of chords. I am glad I didn't just stop dead with Lesson 10 but worked on it to ingrain it in my memory. If I had treated it as a roadblock I might not appreciate its purpose in creating a matrix of moveable chords that allow for use of the 5th and 6ths strings for bass as much as I do right now. I have discovered the constant need to revisit previous lessons and I am now no longer asking "Gee, what should I practice?" All I have to do is flip through the ABGU music book to find chords, scales and riffs, and later, actual songs. Don't allow Lesson 10, though tough, to be the wall you slam into that stops you. It took my 70 year old brain, with daily practice, the whole month of January 2021, to "nail it" but boy the rewards are great! Hang in there!

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Stephanie you are a rock star student. :thumbup::thumbup: I use a similar approach when I learn things. :)

The little chords and notes on the neck lessons were very helpful to me.

Eric

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
Hi, Eric! I just came in from shoveling snow to see this. Thanks for writing back. I'm trying really hard at this because I really, really like it. Actually, "like" is an understatement. This is the first time in my life that I could just obsess over something I love and get carried away with it. (So glad I'm retired) I saw some of Griff's teaching last February and vowed to buy some of his courses. Last March 18th New York shut down life as we knew it and I got right online and bought Beginning Blues Guitar, and How to read Music on Guitar as a refresher and started off. I can't believe its been a year and this March I will be on Lesson 14 and working on my first "full sized" blues piece, Down To The Station. Of course it didn't take me long to join All Access Pass which greatly expanded my enjoyment of the courses. I will be grabbing the CAGED course with my Golden Ticket at the end of February, which makes sense given my approach to studying this. I am very pleased with my progress the past year.

I agree with you in using a very logical approach to studying practically anything. It invariably yields very pleasing results. Thank you so much for "stopping by" and giving me your positive input.