Trying to drop dropbox

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I have been doing the dropbox file delete dance for too long, trying to keep my account under the 2GB max. I would gladly pay for extra space, but at $12 per month, dropbox seems pretty expensive. I don't need 2 TB of space but unfortunately, they don't have any plans less than the 2tb plan. I started looking for alternatives and came across several other. Pcloud seems like a good alternative. I have downloaded the app and have placed a test link below. Can I get a few of you to test out the link and make sure that you can get to the file and download it with no problems? If this works, I will make the move from dropbox to pcloud. Thanks.

PCLOUD TEST

If that first link didn't work, try this one...

Direct Link

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
First one didn't work (blank page, URL said something about "#blocked"); second one worked - I could play it and/or download it.

Btw, for videos I find youtube works fine and I don't waste my limited dropbox (or other) space on such huge files.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Ditto for both 2nd link working fine and youtube for videos. Free Dropbox should have room for lots of mp3 audio but video will fill up pretty quickly I would imagine

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I only use DropBox for sharing, not storing.

If my "box" starts to fill up I delete everything that's more than 2 months old.

I also delete my contribution to the VJR once the next person posts.

Leaving me plenty of space.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I keep mine on a private server that is a left over perk from a business venture I used to operate. This thread jogged my memory and I took a look, only to find I had VJR recordings going back to 2015. I removed everything from the earliest through the end of 2020 and recovered about 6gb of storage.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I removed everything from the earliest through the end of 2020 and recovered about 6gb of storage.

Seems a bit drastic to me, Papa, just to get 6 Gig of space when you can go out and buy a 2 TeraByte Solid State (Internal or external USB) Drive for not a lot of $$$. Just back it all up.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Seems a bit drastic to me, Papa, just to get 6 Gig of space when you can go out and buy a 2 TeraByte Solid State (Internal or external USB) Drive for not a lot of $$$. Just back it all up.
Oh, I backed it all up before I took it offline.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Oh, I backed it all up before I took it offline.
For that matter, you probably remember when 6GB was an enormous amount of data - 20 or 30 x 2400' reels of tape that would take about 4 hours to read.

<Later edit> I looked it up; a 2400' spool of tape held about 40-50Mb of data. So 6Gb would have taken 120-150 spools !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
For that matter, you probably remember when 6GB was an enormous amount of data - 20 or 30 x 2400' reels of tape that would take about 4 hours to read.
Yes, I have a 6tb external drive. I've had it for at least two years and with all the video and audio projects I've done, it's about 1/3 of capacity.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
I use both Dropbox and We transfer for transferring of studio files.

My sessions HD is 1tb external ssd. I have two 2tb ssd external drives for samples. A 1tb external HDD for OS backups. And 2 other external 1tb ssd for session backups. One is stored away from the studio.

I use iCloud for storing common NON PERSOAL info and documents that I want to access from phone, computer, or iPads.

Overkill for most of y’all I understand. Ssd storage is pretty damn cheap really.

I remember my first computer; Comodore Vic 20. Used an audio tape as file storage.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I pay the $127 per year because I use it to back up my computer (at least most files) and photos from my phone. It seems like a cost effective way to protect my files.
It happens automatically every time I save a file to my computer. The added benefit is that "all" my files are accessible no matter what device I'm on. It's particularly great for my music files (lyricpad) I update a file on my PC and it can be automatically synched with the two tablets I use for gigging.
I'm sure this could be true no matter what cloud service you decide to use. I've been on DB for years and it has never let me down.