Using a DAW as a primary practice tool

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Lots of guys here have DAWs of one kind or another. I have recently switched to making my computer the central hub so to speak for all things musical here. The only remnants of analog hardware are a small pedalboard and the PA style amplifier for the PC sound output.
In the process of doing this, I came to realize how my DAW can serve as a really practical practice tool beyond the task of just documenting how horrible my playing really is.
I use it to set up projects that contain tracks of a common or similar type. This allows me to quickly switch back and forth between practicing different things with just a few mouse clicks.
Many of Griffs solos and lessons are in the key of G, and many use the very same backing track.
So, For Example,
One project contains the following:
Slow Blues in G, backing track
BGU Solo 4 (Griff playing)
BGU Extra Solo (Griff playing)
Individual tracks for all 6 SBS Solos (Griff playing)
An additional track for each of the above for recording along with one of the above.

This setup allows me to just pick which one of these I want to practice by soloing playback and record enabling the appropriate track.
The DAW provides the ability to:
Loop sections for focused practice on short sections or individual licks, with or without recording.
Play back my recorded take with Griff's playing (it's a lot easier to identify timing issues using this type of playback as opposed to identifying them in real time as you play - you can also see the timing variations in the recorded waveforms).
Play back my recorded take along with the backing track (this makes it easy to pretend that you got it right).

It is also very easy to use the DAW as a simple looper for practicing phrases over a vamp, or for practicing hitting chord tones on the changes, working on improv ideas, etc.
I'm sure there are many other ways it can be used as well, but this is a good starter list.
Of course, this can all be done at any volume through the amp / speakers, or silently with headphones.
There could be many different ways to set up projects to facilitate practice, based on what you are working on.

I have found this to be quite convenient, efficient, and useful, and I get more mileage out of my DAW at the same time!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've traveled a similar path with the DAW, but with some different tools and goals.

I've been "amp-less" for a number of years, integrating my practice with the computer (and the resultant noise issues I encounter sitting with single coils in front of an array of assorted EMF generating gear). I turn the amps on a few times a year just to make sure they still make noise. All my audio in the music room (computer audio, backing tracks, electric guitars, keys) comes through the same set of speakers, not because of the DAW but there is definitely a correlation.

I've used the DAW as a looper for practicing (amazing how long a 12 bar section can go when looped). It's not as simple or convenient as a stompbox looper, but it's already part of the software package.
It has also upped my game on counting/timing. I've developed a habit of finding the tempo of most of my jam tracks (I've documented a bunch of Griff's backing tracks).
Having tempo markers set with a song lets me visualize timing a whole lot better than I otherwise would.
Working with a MIDI piano roll style editor for percussion and keys has helped drive the timing issues home and lets me see timing subdivisions and manipulate them to see what they sound like.
The DAW lets me easily transpose backing tracks or licks. As long as I stay within about three semitones either side of the source material it usually continues to sound pretty realistic.
For transcribing difficult licks or sections, the speed adjustments let me take slowing down to some ridiculous levels with fewer audible artifacts than any stand alone software I've used.
With the MIDI editor and Studio One v5's new score editor, I can input licks or a melody via MIDI and then see them as musical notation. It doesn't do tab, which is a drawback (and a bit of a blessing at the same time).
I have to admit, I've taken a number of pre-recorded songs originally recorded in Eb because the guitarist tuned down and bumped them to E, just because I'm lazy enough I don't want to retune.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I picked up on @PapaRaptor's comment "I've developed a habit of finding the tempo of most of my jam tracks (I've documented a bunch of Griff's backing tracks)" because I recently started finding the bpm rate of the BGU Lessons - e.g. just this morning I used Song Surgeon to determine that Example/Lesson 12 is apparently at 120bpm. I expect that I'll be doing the same thing all the time from now on. Lesson 13 Funky Blues sounds crazy fast ....
And like Papa I'm ampless, it's all into/through the laptop and out to headphones, or occasionally desktop speakers. I use a Vox Amplug I/O and the JamVox software; I've also got Studio One Prime and SS5, so lots of options at very low co$t.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm also "ampless" when I practice (Even when I gig) but I still find RiffMaster Pro to be the easiest way for me to practice. Change tempo or key with one click & the simple highlighting of a section creates a loop. It's so easy to use that the software becomes pretty much transparent.
If I'm recording for posterity, then yeah my DAW (S1) is my go to.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Some good ideas there!

I'm not there.
Although I have sufficient tools to go ampless, I just cant go there , at least not yet, maybe someday.
I'd say 99.99% of my playing and recording is going thru an amp.
Secondarily, I'm already feeling computers have taken over my life and I'd like to spend less time on a computer than I do currently.

Ha, :rolleyes: this from a guy sitting at a computer all day, typing about how I wish I didn't.

Last edited:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I didn’t know what DAW was when I Started BGU. I was given an iPad for a present and was told it could record stuff. Six or seven (?!) years later, and I’ve probably spent less than 3 hours practicing through an amp. If I hadn’t reconnected with some old band mates, I would seriously question the need for any amp.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
For a seasoned computer geek i really have done nothing so far on computer with music. Still getting paid pushing code but once i retire i will figure some stuff out.

I like the idea of a skiing vacation somewhere combined with a weeklong class on one of the top software packages!!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I didn’t know what DAW was when I Started BGU. I was given an iPad for a present and was told it could record stuff. Six or seven (?!) years later, and I’ve probably spent less than 3 hours practicing through an amp. If I hadn’t reconnected with some old band mates, I would seriously question the need for any amp.
Please stay out of the Gear discussions. o_O