Updated planned for the Courses and Levels PDF ?

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
I got a copy of this PDF and it is really helpful to sort out which course might be suitable for me, but it seems like a lot of courses are not covered in it. Stuff like CRGU, the new BB King Solo course, the Speed Building Blocks... is it planned to update this tremendously helpful piece of information ?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@Griff I think your ears must be ringing... :LOL::LOL:

Now, while Griff works on that. We can help, but you will have to be able to articulate where you are in your playing right now. Or maybe even record yourself playing a few things and maybe we can help from there.
How's your rhythm playing?
Can you play Barre chords without thinking?
Do you know the 5 boxes? Modes? Arpeggios? Major/Minor combinations?
Can you count out the beats in a tab?

As much detail as you can provide about things like that will help us help you.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I got a copy of this PDF and it is really helpful to sort out which course might be suitable for me, but it seems like a lot of courses are not covered in it. Stuff like CRGU, the new BB King Solo course, the Speed Building Blocks... is it planned to update this tremendously helpful piece of information ?
It's one of those things that I got done, and then when more stuff got added, there simply wasn't any easy way to add it without revamping it.

So, while it is on the list of things to update, I have to come up with a new approach that is more expandable.

Like @MikeS said, if you'd like some input, just let me know and I'll be happy to advise.

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
No hurry and thanks a lot for offering direct help @MikeS and @Griff as I am about to book a one year AAP subscription and plan to start with BGU right away.

I’ve got only one question - is the booking process different for already existing members ? Or is entering the same email address enough for the system to recognize me ?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Always use the same email address.

Otherwise you'll probably end up making several visits to the "Help Desk".

Like I have. :(

Last edited:

patb

Blues Junior
I have completed Griff's Theory plus a couple of other theory books, Reading Music for Guitar, Caged, 52 Rhythm Fills, How to build a Blues Song, Major Minor blues scales, BGUB, and now nearly through BGU2 solo 3 and tired of it. I am also working on How to Improvise Blues Solos . Improvising with 4 licks is causing some confusion and a feeling of being overwhelmed. I started BSBB but it got lost in the shuffle. No pun intended.
I can read the notation, still count aloud and do it pretty well, and play rhythm fairly well but struggle with putting together a solo that changes with the chords and moves dynamically as the progression moves forward and sounds like I know what I'm doing. I know I could benefit from some face to face lessons but then we all know that story.
The BB king challenge was tough for counting and playing up to speed nearly impossible. I submitted but honestly it sounded pretty bad.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, Pat

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
If you want to add another course - I am finding the Chord by Chord Blues Soloing course to be very helpful with soloing over the form. The logic of distance and direction along with using the right note at the proper time is well presented.

I have nearly as many courses as you - wish I had gone AAP when I joined up.:(

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I struggle with putting together a solo that changes with the chords and moves dynamically as the progression moves forward and sounds like I know what I'm doing.
Thanks, Pat
Hi Pat. Here's one thing that I've been trying over the past couple of months, and it is definitely helping me in the areas that you mentioned - Target Notes. If you check out Griff's posts, and the Blog, there are at least a couple that address this aspect of soloing technique. I've found that just being able to hit a "Good note" at the change from I to IV going in to Bar 5 and then again at the IV to I at Bar 7 gives that positive-endorphin feeling that you really need when learning.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have completed Griff's Theory plus a couple of other theory books, Reading Music for Guitar, Caged, 52 Rhythm Fills, How to build a Blues Song, Major Minor blues scales, BGUB, and now nearly through BGU2 solo 3 and tired of it. I am also working on How to Improvise Blues Solos . Improvising with 4 licks is causing some confusion and a feeling of being overwhelmed. I started BSBB but it got lost in the shuffle. No pun intended.
I can read the notation, still count aloud and do it pretty well, and play rhythm fairly well but struggle with putting together a solo that changes with the chords and moves dynamically as the progression moves forward and sounds like I know what I'm doing. I know I could benefit from some face to face lessons but then we all know that story.
The BB king challenge was tough for counting and playing up to speed nearly impossible. I submitted but honestly it sounded pretty bad.
Thanks, Pat

Pat, After I had completed BGU I a few years ago and was feeling kind of like you are. "I know my boxes, I've memorized some solos, but I still can't make music". Griff came out with Soloing Without Scales. I gave it a try and for some reason, after going through maybe half the course, soloing opened up for me. I still wasn't great & and my solos sounded a little "scaly", but I was at least at a point where I could solos SOMETHING. I think my next step to making solos sound better is about learning licks & analyzing solos to see what I can do with the various pieces "Blues Solo Construction Kit".

Griff

Staff member
Thanks, Pat
What about soloing at a simpler level, just using the minor blues sound... do you like what you hear when you do that? Are you able to solo comfortably that way?

patb

Blues Junior
What about soloing at a simpler level, just using the minor blues sound... do you like what you hear when you do that? Are you able to solo comfortably that way?
I like the minor sound and I can play licks I know and understand when I can keep track of the progression. If I get lost I stop playing and just listen I know pretty quickly where I am although it usually degenerates into noodling with no clear idea where to start or end. I can sound good part of the time just based on the feel of the track but it's certainly not a coherent solo and I don't know why i'm playing it. . I'm beginning to understand the idea/ dynamics of building the solo through the progression and coming to the crescendo or heights in the latter part of the second 12 bars but I can't do it.
I'm thinking of writing out a solo based on licks I know from BGU solos or the BB challenge and then memorizing it as I can't just call them up as I go yet. HTIBS is helping a lot with that. It is a good course although licks covering 3 bars or parts and 2 chords require a lot of thought to play in the right place. I like lick 5 which can only be played in two places. Simplifies my life. Griff did a video called something like "Talking to the band" and described the dynamics of the solo. I could use more of that.
Sorry for all the rambling. I appreciate all your responses.
Thanks, Pat

Griff

Staff member
I like the minor sound and I can play licks I know and understand when I can keep track of the progression. If I get lost I stop playing and just listen I know pretty quickly where I am although it usually degenerates into noodling with no clear idea where to start or end. I can sound good part of the time just based on the feel of the track but it's certainly not a coherent solo and I don't know why i'm playing it. . I'm beginning to understand the idea/ dynamics of building the solo through the progression and coming to the crescendo or heights in the latter part of the second 12 bars but I can't do it.
I'm thinking of writing out a solo based on licks I know from BGU solos or the BB challenge and then memorizing it as I can't just call them up as I go yet. HTIBS is helping a lot with that. It is a good course although licks covering 3 bars or parts and 2 chords require a lot of thought to play in the right place. I like lick 5 which can only be played in two places. Simplifies my life. Griff did a video called something like "Talking to the band" and described the dynamics of the solo. I could use more of that.
Sorry for all the rambling. I appreciate all your responses.
Thanks, Pat
Writing out solos is an EXCELLENT way to learn the process of improvising because it makes you think through everything beforehand... and there's no danger of freaking out in the moment.

I highly encourage that, and maybe also working on some more complete solos in the course(s) that you have. In my experience, "complete solos" is the leg of the stool that is most often the shortest.