Pick Thickness

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Just wondering what size pick you guys use for electric guitar. I use a 2.0 mm Stubby or V-pick now and I'm thinking that maybe I should drop back down to the 1.14 I used when I started out to have a little more flexibility in the pick.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I use a pretty stiff pick (Dunlop Jazz III or Eric Johnson).

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Currently I'm using a Dunlop Flow 1.5. A stiff pick with good gripping surface.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'll use just about anything between 1.0 and 2.0mm. My preference is Dunlop Gatorgrips 1.14mm.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Over the years I locked in on 1.5mm... Primetone's (large) is my favorite cheapish pick...

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My go to is a 2.75 mm Vpick.
I used to use a Dunlap Jazz III but, these days I only go there for more precision licks.

I switch to lighter gauges occasionally, mostly for a change in tone.
I use my fingers a lot on my acoustic but if I'm strumming I'll use a Tortex 1mm.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I used 1.5 for several years, but got tired of having to have a different pick for my acoustic (0.7s there), so I finally think I've compromised and use a 1.0 for everything now. I also switched to jazz sized Pick Boy picks about a year ago. So I'm currently playing all my guitars with a J Pick Boy 100.

51sU%2B-qU-sL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Elwood

Blues
@Many Moons got me going on those Little bitty Dunlops (jazz 2s?) and they are real nice. After a while I fell back to the Dunlop Max-grip 1.5s for flat pick.

More and more I try to use a Fred Kelley Slick Pick D2-M8 thumbpick for everything (yup, electrics too).98mm. When I sort out clean alternate picking with that thing, tons of picking possibilities will be right there waiting.... just in case some fingers want to join in. (that thumbpick is the only one I have found that fits my thumb with no boiling or other ritual fitting. I let the strings shape the tip.)

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I use 1.0 now for everything i finally moved up from thinner. Takes more pick control the thicker you go but i dunno if it changes a lot past 1 ...

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Used to be a lot pickier more selective about it but lately I just grab whatever is handy. Then if it's less than 1mm I throw it away and grab another (and I hardly ever have to do that anymore).

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Guys; I must be way out of the ball park here--my 2 favorite picks; (now that I have figured out how to stop them from slipping in my fingers)
one is .41 and the other .68---what can I say? I have been working with a thumb pick---but my fingers and thumb are still my favorite.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Once I find something I like I stop looking. Been using Dunlop gator grip, 0.96 mm for some years now.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Standard ole Fender mediums (0.7mm) for almost fifty years. Have tried the others. Use the Dunlop Jazz III for a while. Always back to the plain Jane Fender mediums, I can get more different pick attacks from them depending on which point or side and how close to the tip. And their cheap!!