Electric Guitars how much do you use your Tone knob?

Do you use the Tone knob on your guitar?

• It ain't been broke yet. (You never touch it.)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • It'll take a saddle but not a rider. (You use it occasionally.)

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • It'll take you where you want to go. (You're comfortable with it and use it often.)

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • It's rode hard and put up wet. (You're constantly adjusting it when you play.)

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I use mine a lot--(I love rolling around in the mud):)--I cannot stand a bridge pickup, be it a single coil or a humbucker on full treble---and whoever come up with the idea of putting a humbucker at the bridge on a Strat needs to never be allowed to play a Strat ever again. JMTCW

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
I'm seriously thinking about buying no-load tone pots for my tele and strat. They are difficult to find, but I did locate the Fender versions with the detent at 10, on Amazon. I just need to decide if I want to try .022 cap instead of .047. The way I understand it, I should not need a treble bleed resistor if I use the no-load pot and .022 cap. Anyone with knowledge in this area, please advise if I am wrong in this regard.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I'm seriously thinking about buying no-load tone pots for my tele and strat. They are difficult to find, but I did locate the Fender versions with the detent at 10, on Amazon. I just need to decide if I want to try .022 cap instead of .047. The way I understand it, I should not need a treble bleed resistor if I use the no-load pot and .022 cap. Anyone with knowledge in this area, please advise if I am wrong in this regard.
It is dirt simple to make your own no-load pots from regular pots.
The Treble bleed has nothing to do with your tone pot or tone capacitor. It is to prevent the guitar's tone from getting "muddy" when you turn the volume down. Without the treble bleed it will still get "muddy" when you roll your volume down, even with a no-load tone pot..

A .047 cap will go much darker (more muddy) when rolled all the way down than a .022 cap. Also, the ratio of "muddiness" to the revolution of the knob changes. A .047 cap with the knob rolled half way down will be just as dark as a .022 cap with the knob rolled all the way down. So you could say that a .047 cap will result in more sensitive knob adjustments. I use .022 caps in 90% of my guitars, finding .047 caps just too dark for my tastes.

The only guitar that I have that doesn't have .022 caps is my "LP" that I put together that is optimized for classic rock and not blues. It has a set of JWP American Steele pickups in it, and the bridge was just too bright for my taste. It has a .022 on the neck pot, and on the bridge I used two caps in parallel to arrive at a .030 capacitance.

I use both no-load tone pots and a treble bleed in all of my guitars.

Last edited:

Stinger22

Blues Junior
It is dirt simple to make your own no-load pots from regular pots.
The Treble bleed has nothing to do with your tone pot or tone capacitor. It is to prevent the guitar's tone from getting "muddy" when you turn the volume down. Without the treble bleed it will still get "muddy" when you roll your volume down, even with a no-load tone pot..

A .047 cap will go much darker (more muddy) when rolled all the way down than a .022 cap. Also, the ratio of "muddiness" to the revolution of the knob changes. A .047 cap with the knob rolled half way down will be just as dark as a .022 cap with the knob rolled all the way down. So you could say that a .047 cap will result in more sensitive knob adjustments. I use .022 caps in 90% of my guitars, finding .047 caps just too dark for my tastes.

The only guitar that I have that doesn't have .022 caps is my "LP" that I put together that is optimized for classic rock and not blues. It has a set of JWP American Steele pickups in it, and the bridge was just too bright for my taste. It has a .022 on the neck pot, and on the bridge I used two caps in parallel to arrive at a .030 capacitance.

I use both no-load tone pots and a treble bleed in all of my guitars.

My Tele 60th Anniversary model came with their "Delta Tone Circuit" which takes the pot out of the circuit at 10 making it no-load. I love it and use the tone pot on all my Teles constantly. There's the slightest knotch to it as if it falls into the no-load position. Also have a 4 way switch and that with the Delta Circuit for leads is killer. Wonderful Tele my goto.

The Fender part number for the pot is 0990832000

Last edited:

Stinger22

Blues Junior

Stop thinking about it and just do it :thumbup:

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
My #1 guitar is a G&L Fullerton made S-500 with the MFD pups and PTB tone controls. The greatest tone machine ever made IMHO and the guitar begs you to experiment with the controls for unlimited combinations. My #2 is a 66 reissue SG with super hot anico 57’s, kind of a one trick pony but sounds amazing when paired with my Orange stereo rig.