Liv'n In The Darkness (an original)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Over the last week or so, I've shared a few new songs from the album I'm working on.
They are all slow moody blues.
I've got a few more new ones in development but, I dug up one from years ago that might fit.

I never published this one, except here I BGU land a long time ago........some of you may remember it.
I think it will go well with the others on the album however..........

I did it long ago with a different recording process and then had a complete computer crash after that.
Consequently, I can't go back and do any remixing , all I have is the original stereo mix.
I'm limited to a few minor adjustments, that you might call quasi mastering.

I like this song but, I'm not in the mindset of re-recording it.

Please give it a listen and let me know if you think it's worth releasing in it's current state.

https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/livn-in-the-darkness

Thanks,
Moto

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
That's a surprisingly good mix considering it's one of your older songs Moto.(y):) Vocal is excellent. However...................., and I hate to criticise after all the cool stuff you've done recently, that delay on the guitar on the lead break really doesn't float my boat.:confused: I can't remember hearing this one first time round, but I also found the timing a bit strange at the start.

Mike's right, it does sound like a winner, but if it was me I'd record it again. Just think what you could do with it with your newly honed skills and your new backing band!!!:)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I agree with MM. The guitar being so far ahead of the percussion and synth strings makes it very difficult to follow until I mentally start tuning things out.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That's a surprisingly good mix considering it's one of your older songs Moto.(y):) Vocal is excellent. However...................., and I hate to criticise after all the cool stuff you've done recently, that delay on the guitar on the lead break really doesn't float my boat.:confused: I can't remember hearing this one first time round, but I also found the timing a bit strange at the start.

Mike's right, it does sound like a winner, but if it was me I'd record it again. Just think what you could do with it with your newly honed skills and your new backing band!!!:)
I hear ya.
My mind says re-do, my heart says let it ride.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I agree with MM. The guitar being so far ahead of the percussion and synth strings makes it very difficult to follow until I mentally start tuning things out.
Thnaks

Papa,
For sure the timing on this is off.
I can't remember what I used for drums on this but, I'm thinking it was something I did with a synth played by me :cautious:
I got some thinking to do:rolleyes:

Elwood

Blues
I like it Moto! Moody doesn't even describe it.
As I was listening to the opening, and aid car ran up the street with the siren blaring. That was at about 30 seconds or so. The way that wailing alarm fit with your tune was eery. I don't know if this fits with your vision of this tune, but the fit was incredible!
You will dress this up and make it great!!!

Here is a challenge...kick yourself in the derrière and produce a cheery tune! I dare ya! Yin Yang bro, mix it up!!! Tell us how sweet the morning air smells, or how your sweeties smile lights up your day. You can always put a twist on it and make it blues. C'mon now!!! I bet it will feel good!!! Folks will like to feel good with you.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I like it Moto! Moody doesn't even describe it.
As I was listening to the opening, and aid car ran up the street with the siren blaring. That was at about 30 seconds or so. The way that wailing alarm fit with your tune was eery. I don't know if this fits with your vision of this tune, but the fit was incredible!
You will dress this up and make it great!!!

Here is a challenge...kick yourself in the derrière and produce a cheery tune! I dare ya! Yin Yang bro, mix it up!!! Tell us how sweet the morning air smells, or how your sweeties smile lights up your day. You can always put a twist on it and make it blues. C'mon now!!! I bet it will feel good!!! Folks will like to feel good with you.
I can't disagree with the notion that we need some UP!
This one though is for my DOWN album.

UP will be coming soon.

Thanks

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
@BigMike , @Many Moons , @Elwood , @PapaRaptor , @blackcoffeeblues

Hey Folks,
If anyone is still hanging around,..... here's my take 2.

Changed it up a bit, made it a little more mellow, give it a listen please.

Thanks again for your support.
https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/livn-in-the-darkness-take-2
Cutting the intro back and going to the vocals sooner worked---and I think I hear a little more prominent keyboard---so all in all I like take 2 better. JMTCW (just my two cents worth)

Elwood

Blues
This sound like how you might have wanted it to be right off. You kept the "slow moody" and knocked off the rough edges. Sound like you may be there. Maybe don't listen to it for a few days and then hear it "fresh" again to see if anything pop up to you, I doubt it though. If you are doing an album collection of slow moody ones, the order of your tunes might matter more than it may "usually", how to flow from one into another to get the result you wish, just thinking.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
This sound like how you might have wanted it to be right off. You kept the "slow moody" and knocked off the rough edges. Sound like you may be there. Maybe don't listen to it for a few days and then hear it "fresh" again to see if anything pop up to you, I doubt it though. If you are doing an album collection of slow moody ones, the order of your tunes might matter more than it may "usually", how to flow from one into another to get the result you wish, just thinking.
Thanks again,
Letting it stew for a few days, before I move forward.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Hey Captain. My two cents for what its worth.... I liked the first one better, much fuller sound yet still fully conveying the sort of melancholy feel of the song. Second one a little too laid back for me. Also in the first one you have some left right channel separation of the guitar playing with the right channel delayed versus left channel (somewhere between 3:30 and 4 minutes ) that I really loved and that seems to be gone in the second one

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Captain. My two cents for what its worth.... I liked the first one better, much fuller sound yet still fully conveying the sort of melancholy feel of the song. Second one a little too laid back for me. Also in the first one you have some left right channel separation of the guitar playing with the right channel delayed versus left channel (somewhere between 3:30 and 4 minutes ) that I really loved and that seems to be gone in the second one
Thanks Marc,
I wish I could pull up the original and just fix the things that are out of place.
There's something about it I like that just aint there in V2.

When I make it big, you can tell your grandkids, you used to give me advise.

moto