I lost the best guitarist I ever knew today

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
I’m posting this because this is by far the most important guitar community I’ve been associated with. And I don’t really know where I’ll go from here.

This is for my son Penn. He ended his life this morning in our backyard. He became afflicted with schizophrenia within one week of his high school graduation 13 years ago.

Without any formal training in guitar, he was accepted into a 4 year intensive classical guitar program within our public schools. He excelled. But he almost immediately became hooked by composition. They played his pieces at intermission during guitar recital. His senior year instructor called him brilliant. I was playing acoustic one night at a time he was accomplished, and he said Dad that is really good. I’ll never forget that.

For 13 years, he has composed music, orchestral, virtual instruments, video game stuff sorta. Within the last few weeks, he asked me to restring his classical guitar, which I did and he took it.

Two days ago, he decided he wanted to vote. For the first time in his life. He did.

I’m posting this in a music community I highly respect in his honor. I don’t need any replies, thanks. This is just to honor him in a place he really would have liked. This also a call to recognize mental illness, which continues to be underserved.

John

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
18-NAMI-art-min-1280x640.jpg

Farewell Penn

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I can't imagine a more gut wrenching situation than what you are going through. Please accept my condolences, you and your family are in my prayers

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
My condolences to you and your family. No parent should ever lose their child. I agree, there needs to be a better understanding and better treatment for mental illness, and more acceptance.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
While I am saddened by your loss, I'm happy that your son was able to bring so much joy to yourself, and others through music. It sounds like he lived an incredible life.

I have said a prayer for you and your family, in the hopes that you can find solace in the fact that he's in a better place.

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
I’ve just received an invite to play with a beginning player who already is playing some chords and songs. The girl has a 1950s Guild hollow body electric her father gave her for 60th. Did Griff ever offer his lesson on the small chord (2 note, same shape) I, IV, V 12 bar progression (A7,D9,E9) in the email blog or YouTube? I searched a little but didn’t find it. Maybe it’s just part of a paid course which is fine. I could teach it to her but it would obviously be so much better from Griff.
Thanks and thanks for all the kind words.
John