Making the most of Shelter-in-Place

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Does everyone have a dano with the concentric pots? I hear the tone pot is close to useless, so I'm thinking about not going for the concentric 1M/100K pots but maybe going with a single tone, single volume (250K pot???)
That looks great, Chris! Is that bridge lined up with the neck? With the different angles between the neck and bridge pickups it kind of skews the view a little bit. I see what you're saying about the tuners. That's too bad, but as long as you have more metalflake, it's relatively easy. I just changed the strings on my (black) DC-12 string yesterday, and it's sitting here right now. I wish it looked as good as yours!

My Danos, except for the DC-12 have the concentric tone/volume combination and yes, the tone controls are nearly worthless. The DC-12 has a single volume and tone pair (on different pots). I've never scouted, I wonder if you could find another set of values in concentric pots, like a more conventional 250k/250k combination. Funny thing, on my DC-12, the white on the pickguard (which is a really thin melamine) gave up its bond with the fiberboard backing, so while I had the strings off, I took off the pickguard, so I could take it outdoors and shoot a little contact adhesive at it. From the factory, the DC-12 has a treble bleed circuit on the volume pot.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Yes everything is aligned properly and it's doesn't look as skewed with strings on :)
I have down $250k audio tapers pots in a bin so I think I will start there. I realized the switch I have is off-on-off (les paul style) bit I need an on-off-on I think. I think your can take a Les Paul switch apart and reassemble it it differently...

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Does everyone have a dano with the concentric pots?
Mine does---at first they were stuck together from sitting in a closet for years. A little alcohol and a couple drops of fishing reel lubricant I got them working smoothly---I'm still don't care that much for them. Fishing reel lube has no odor, (no stinky fingers.)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
My Dano isn't a Dano. It is a Brownsville Choirboy which is built the same way as a Dano. Too farty. But it sounds incredible once I yerked the stock toaster pickups out of it that sounded like a tomcat with its wee-wee frozen to a fire hydrant, and routed it for three Duncan P90s.
9245296146_be6f55774e.jpg

Last edited:

straightblues

Blues Junior
Nice looking build. You don't have to use concentric pots. They look cool but I find them hard to use when on stage. I always end up turning them both together instead of just the one I want to turn.

I have one of the Brownsville dano type guitars as well Rancid. I have pulled it apart and made a walnut top for it. I need to get back to that project. They do sound good. The side walls are really cheap material, not normal plywood. I was considering building new sides for it out of solid wood.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Nice looking build. You don't have to use concentric pots. They look cool but I find them hard to use when on stage. I always end up turning them both together instead of just the one I want to turn.

I have one of the Brownsville dano type guitars as well Rancid. I have pulled it apart and made a walnut top for it. I need to get back to that project. They do sound good. The side walls are really cheap material, not normal plywood. I was considering building new sides for it out of solid wood
My Choirboy sounds just incredible with those 3 Duncan P90's. And I do mean incredible. It is a "blues machine par excellence"! This guitar is a BIG reason that I am not bashful about believing that "tone wood" is a complete myth. This thing is made of MASONITE and CHEAP PLYWOOD and it is one of the best sounding guitars that I own! The el-cheapo toaster pickups that it came with just totally sucked. The pickups cost me almost three times what the guitar did, but what the hell ... it's the results that count.

I bought this guitar on impulse in a local music store. I saw it hanging there, and it intrigued me with its 3 pickups and obvious semi-hollow design in a Les Paul shape, and I really liked its black paint with tiny silver sparkles in it. Price tag said $95.00 so I picked it up and tried the neck for playability and buzz and liked the neck and playability. Bought it on the spot without even plugging it in. Got home, plugged it in, and those toaster pickups just made my teeth grate ... horrible, shrill little *%#!s. Oh well, hang it on the wall to look at. Mind grinding on what to do with it. Not enough room for three humbuckers, single-coils would not work, so what to do. Hmmm. Didn't have a P90 guitar, and those might work. Got on the Google maching for P90 measurements. With the neck, bridge and tailpiece removed, the top was perfectly flat, very easy to use a router on. The hook was set. Corresponded with Duncan and yes, they could send me a P90 with reverse wind and reverse polarity. Found a P90 router template/guide on-line. The rest is history.

Last edited:

Slofinger

Blues Junior
I realized after this post just now picked up again that I didn’t follow through with my finished product here. Though I might have posted it on another thread. AnywayB2EA212B-213B-4A3D-886C-2A9611F15C75.jpeg