Kinda Like gear

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I found box one of 7 of Guitar Player magazines dating back to 1981, a lot from the 90's and some from the 2000's. And of course some that could become collector items, especially the Van Halen one now

IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0326.jpg IMG_0327.jpg

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
BTW, if anyone has boxes of magazines they are going to throw away, I may be interested in them

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Very cool!
I still have my 30 year collection of Rolling Stone magazines in a box in my basement! My wife calls me a hoarder...I say collector :cool:
I've been that way about stereo gear and recorded material most of my life. My current stereo is a mid-70's Marantz receiver (my mid 70's Sony amp needs work) and two pairs of B&O Beovox speakers I bought in 1971. I did finally break down and get a new turntable, since my old JVC direct drive (mid-70's) stopped revolving at the correct speeds.
When we left Florida, I finally parted with over 400 reels of audio tape I started collecting when I was a teenager. Now that I'm settled in, I sure do wish I had them back.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I had a bunch of GP mags and ripped out the theory/technique stuff and saved that, and trashed the gear and band-de-jour articles.

Still have some R. Crumb and other underground comics, if anyone is interested

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
I've been that way about stereo gear and recorded material most of my life. My current stereo is a mid-70's Marantz receiver (my mid 70's Sony amp needs work) and two pairs of B&O Beovox speakers I bought in 1971. I did finally break down and get a new turntable, since my old JVC direct drive (mid-70's) stopped revolving at the correct speeds.bles as
When we left Florida, I finally parted with over 400 reels of audio tape I started collecting when I was a teenager. Now that I'm settled in, I sure do wish I had them back.

I still have my reel to reel tape deck in my lower level (which doubles as my music/guitar room...I've put pics here on the forum before) that I still play the music what I've recorded. Dozens of tapes (not 400!). Can't imagine getting rid of any of them.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I still have my reel to reel tape deck in my lower level (which doubles as my music/guitar room...I've put pics here on the forum before) that I still play the music what I've recorded. Dozens of tapes (not 400!). Can't imagine getting rid of any of them.
I still have my deck and probably a dozen recordings that I snagged that had personal value. I was running short of room on the moving van when we were packing and something had to give, either the tapes or my LP records (of which I have no idea how many of those I have).

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Every so often a reel-to-reel shows up at Goodwill. Usually it's an Akai brought back by a Vietnam Vet

In the 60s-70s it's not clear what the market was for a home/consumer recorder.
some commercial recordings were released on tape. I don't know if any "audiophiles" thought that was superior to vinyl LP.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Every so often a reel-to-reel shows up at Goodwill. Usually it's an Akai brought back by a Vietnam Vet

In the 60s-70s it's not clear what the market was for a home/consumer recorder.
some commercial recordings were released on tape. I don't know if any "audiophiles" thought that was superior to vinyl LP.
Quality on pre-recorded tapes was all over the place. I had quite a few commercially pre-recorded tapes at 7 1/2ips that were easily equal to, if not superior to the best vinyl recordings. Ampex used to turn out some really good copies as did Bell and Howell. Columbia House (remember their record club?) actually had a R-to-R club. Anything they turned out was absolute crap, recorded at 3 3/4ips and couldn't compare with vinyl of the day. Unfortunately, even if you knew what label had a signed artist, if it came through Columbia House, is was probably licensed to them and produced on their own equipment. I have no idea how many tapes I sent back due to excessive dropouts. Fortunately, we had a record shop in town that catered to audiophiles and they carried a pretty good catalog of pre-recorded R-to-R stuff, usually duplicated by the better houses. I had about half a dozen of the Beatles albums on 7 1/2ips dupes. If I recall correctly, they were duplicated by Ampex and were excellent.

But most of my collection came from dubbing first play vinyl recordings to 7 1/2ips on BASF, TDS, Scotch (3m), or Maxell tape. I also used a lot of Radio Shack Concertape, which was a whole lot better than its price would have suggested.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
For me it's car magazines, I have boxes of them running from the seventies until I switched to guitar magazines about ten years ago.

Never got into the reel to reel thing, but in addition to my own modest record collection I have a box of my dad's old 78's, and another box of his cylinder records with record player. Unfortunately mostly country.