Griff's move to Texas

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
Hi Griff,
Happy b-day and congrats on your move to Texas.
Hoping the new location will be as successful, if not more, than the present.
Best regards, John-G

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I grew up near Dallas, in Mesquite. Still have lots of family and friends there.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Enjoy the new Home! Wonder what this does to the bands current line up?

Last edited:

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Anyone know if Laura will be working as a music teacher in schools in Texas? Since LA home prices are so high, they should be able to get a nice sized home in Texas. Good luck with the move.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Congrats on getting out of the State. I'm too dumb to leave. Born and raised here with few excursions.
I did live in San Antonio and Laredo for a spell and have visited Dallas more than a few times. Nearest I've been to McKinney is Denton and Lewisville. Nice area for sure, beautiful lakes, plenty of room to sprawl and good people.
Have a safe trip and I hope the move goes smoothly.
If you should wander into Dallas, check out the Cabaret Royale.
;)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Band Lineup: Nothing changes. Griff will fly people in for rehearsal & gigs.
Laura Teaching: I'm pretty sure not. she plans to keep here Disneyland gig.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Laura Teaching: I'm pretty sure not. she plans to keep here Disneyland gig.

That's a heck of a commute!

Yeah, no kidding! I confess I was curious about the status of her Disneyland gig, what with the massive layoffs coming. I'd assumed bad news on that front, with them moving so far away. So, I wonder how that works?

Not my business, really; again, just curious. :Beer:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Yeah, no kidding! I confess I was curious about the status of her Disneyland gig, what with the massive layoffs coming. I'd assumed bad news on that front, with them moving so far away. So, I wonder how that works?

She only does it a few days a week, so when they start up again, she'll fly in and stay at one of her brothers houses (who play in a separate Disneyland band). This is Laura's dream job, so she's not quite ready to give it up.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well Yee Ha!
Hope that works out well.
Anybody know what precipitated this move?
I'm sure it's cheaper living.

Update:
I missed his email on that.
Just read it and it sounds like it's partially driven by economics.
I love Cali but I don't understand how anybody on an average income can survive there.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
That's a heck of a commute!

Commuting in the San Francisco Bay Area is a pain! However, a friend of mine said: "Commuting in an ICBM only takes 15 minutes to get to the furthest point within the United States. But you have to be careful of the sudden stop"! CRASH! :ROFLMAO:o_O

Thanks to the Air Force, I lived in Texas twice - Lackland AFB (San Antonio) and Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo. We lived in the Pasadena Apartments. The manager told me about the terrible tornadoes San Angelo had had. But she reassured me with this comment: "Don't worry none about tornados! This good brick building will protect you"! :eek: We were on the second floor. The last tornado that had visited San Angelo destroyed the downtown area, which included steel reinforced buildings, just a few blocks from where we lived.

San Angelo is in Tom Green County, a Dry County. No alcohol is sold there. It's in the bible. However they have bars. You simply drive to the next county, purchase your favorite beverage, return to San Angelo, pay $10 for the person in the bar to open your bottle, which they called a "set up", and you may enjoy your beverage. This was 1965-66. I am sure that the prices have gone up.

Times change and all that. I see that you can purchase "packaged beverages" (what's that?) between 10 AM and 9 PM Monday thru Saturday, but "Never On Sunday"! ;)

By the way, the Pasadena Apartment House is now a vacant lot. Perhaps a tornado blew it away after we left? :( Has anyone seen red bricks scattered around San Angelo? :cry:

Tom

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
This is Laura's dream job, so she's not quite ready to give it up.

I'd not expect she would, willingly. My fear was that she was among the 28,000 odd folks Disney is supposedly cutting loose. Glad to hear she's not. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
San Angelo is in Tom Green County, a Dry County. No alcohol is sold there. It's in the bible. However they have bars. You simply drive to the next county, purchase your favorite beverage, return to San Angelo, pay $10 for the person in the bar to open your bottle, which they called a "set up", and you may enjoy your beverage. This was 1965-66. I am sure that the prices have gone up.

I was at Goodbuddy twice for tech training, once in '79 and again in '86. When I was there the workaround was alcohol could be served in private clubs. Instead of a cover charge you paid a day's membership dues. Weren't a lot of places available but there were a couple.

We also bought fresh water by filling multiple gallon jugs at filling stations (that charged, of course) Neither time I was there was the city water certified safe to drink.

Elio

Student Of The Blues

Her brothers are in the area (both play at Disneyland, as well), so she has a place to stay when she's there.

Edit: Oops, MikeR beat me to that answer!