Good Bye Pickups

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Great!!! One more thing to argue about... Purists vs New Tech guys and start lining up now.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
We tried using pcb traces for transformers and the magnetic cores were too expensive. Hey, it might sound great?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
"A United States patent has been granted on this technology, which is probably why we’re just hearing about it now.

This may be an exciting innovation, although we still don’t know what it sounds like. Many sonic innovations have fallen by the wayside in the past because they just didn’t cut it when it came down to listening tests."

~Bobby Owsinski"~

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I'll keep an open mind about it. It may be super cool with a more modern guitar, and a more modern rig. I guess I'd have more of an issue if it were a really vintage instrument in pristine condition. Historical continuity and the sound it produced / produces is important.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Never, ever question anybody's reasons for buying another guitar. You can question his judgement, his intelligence, even his sanity, but never his motivation for trying and/or buying another guitar.
That is my final word on the subject. :cool:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
It will be a rock looking for a big splash that will never hit the water. In other words a flop. If guitarists are anything, they are traditionalists. They might sound great, but they will never take over.

The PAF sound is elusive. There is actually no such thing, they can sound very different and still be "PAF" style pickups. I have guitars with 5 different makes/models of "PAF" pickups. They all sound different, yet are all in the same "ball park". I love them all or they wouldn't be in my guitars. My Gibson '57 Classics are GREAT for blues. My JWP American Steele pickups are GREAT for classic rock. Both will do either genre of music well, but each excels at one over the other. In the same genre of music (say blues) although they both do well, they sound different and have a different "feel" (different dynamics) and you can tweak your amp until hell freezes over and never make them sound exactly the same. They use different magnets, different other materials, and are wound differently. Even the original PAFs of the 50's sounded different ... they were all hand-wound, and even if the same winder, could and did sound different. My Bare Knuckle Mule pickups are different than either the Gibby '57 Classics or the JWP American Steeles yet are squarely in that "PAF" camp. I couldn't pick a favorite if my life depended on it, but I love all of them. You, on the other hand, might love one and hate another.

That said, Bare Knuckle pickups have won me over. I no longer even bother to look at Duncans or other makers when looking for a humbucker pickup for a guitar. JWP are also very excellent pickups. Both are on the "expensive" side. Bare Knuckle for blues, JWP for classic rock.

I can see these new printed circuit board pickups offering a pickup with 50 flavors and an up/down button to scroll through them. It will appeal to those who are lost in the world of digital processors with 100 amp models and 500 effects..

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
So somebody on the interwebs is saying that they have a pickup that's not a real pickup that will sound as good as the boutique original pickups that were hand wound by Abigal Ybarra, Seth Lover, and Ray Butts that I have in my vintage 1950 Flying StratoPaulTeleV that Anastasios Stathopoulos, Leo Fender, and Paul Reed Smith dreamed up and built together in a factory in Kalamazoo?

280rgx.jpg

I'll keep an open mind about them. After all, look at how far solid state amps have come in the last 15 years.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
To actually get many windings it would have to be some kind of 3D printing technology. But the press release is pretty content-free.