Inexpensive string radius guages

Elwood

Blues
If you have Teles or strats, or any guitar with a separate saddle bridge, you appreciate the need for a radius guage that gives you a reference for setting the ht. of each individual string to match the radius of the fretboard (or whatever you want it to - not going there). Each of my teles have different string radius. So for as I looked for a set of gauges for all three they would be close to 50 bucks from the sources like Stew Mac and such.

Until I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPGT4DF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is not a luthier grade set. The understring radius gauges are just fine. All the flat stuff seems to measure out OK for accuracy (eyeball accuracy) but the edges are very sharp, I rubbed a bit of 2000 grit on the edges just so they lost their bite.

For $17 bucks they fill a need, and are plenty good for now and then usage. Even comes in a nice little storage bag. They are nice enough I thought some of you might be interested. :Beer:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I''ve got the Stew Mac set which works fine. I don't remember what I payed. You can measure radius on the strings from the underside, or measure radius on the fingerboard. It's sometimes hard to distinguish minor differences like 10" or 12" radius

Last edited:

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I bought an inexpensive set from Amazon as well. I put them on a key ring to keep them in order and used them a lot when I was restringing and tinkering during lock down.

Elwood

Blues
My fingers and eyeballs have served me fine for 50 years
I like to feel the same way but facts are facts, and the fact of the matter is that I have "advanced in my wisdom" :oops:to the point that I do better choosing what works best for what.

I can hear a string as it makes buzzing contact with the radius gauges when I pick it as I lower it into adjustment. :thumbup: My eyes figured out if I want to see something that measures out to a few thousandths I most likely don't need to see it at all, or maybe I'd like to see a few of them?:thumbdown::(

I sure appreciate your confidence in your free hand craftsmanship,:Beer: wish I had/still had it. :( Most folks do a better job of close tolerance work using measurement tools.

I still know the 'feel" of a feeler gauge, can read a scale given time, and can hear metal contact metal, so for me gauges are a good fix. Since I don't use them frequently, these meet my needs. I lost my passion for buying everything that is "the best". Good enough is good enough for me.
I very much enjoy seeing how close I get freehand. :whistle:More and more I find measuring helps me to get the result I am used to getting.;) And I'm cheap! :D

Hey RR, so I guess where I'm at is I'm a dial caliper guy, haven't made the move to digital, won't now. Never was a vernier man. Actually I'm more of a caliper and flashlight guy.:D

Elwood

Blues
That's funny Mike! I used those too, for a while and they work quite well! (you can go nuts cutting a nice set out of card stock) I can get my fretboard radius from the U of Google, but where the Steel gauges shine (for me anyway) is in the ease of use. I can usually get close by eye, but if I set both E strings to the ht. I want (OEM spec, lower?) and if I don't like my radius, I can loosen the 4 middle strings (to ease pressure on the adjusters). Then I can pop the radius gauge under the strings and carefully lower each string until it has equal damping from the string hitting the radius gauge. This can take a few passes but it works for me. (obviously start with them just a bit high if needed.)
Again, this only matters if your guitar has separate saddles for each string.

That string action rule sure help me get going too Mike. :thumbup:

All you guys that build those amazing guitars, I am in total awe!!! :notworthy: I just try to find stuff that is not too pricey and works. I sure don't want to point anyone the wrong way!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have always just done what I later saw that Anthony Stauffer also does.
1. Set the two most outside strings to as low as they will go with no buzz.
2. Raise high E just a tad to assure being able to "grab" it easy with a finger for a deep bend.
3. Raise the A string just a tad higher than the low E.
4. Raise the B string just a tad higher than the high E.
5. Raise the D string just a tad higher than the A string.
6. Raise the G string just a tad higher than the B string.
Play the guitar. It is usually right how I like it. If not, tweak accordingly. I find that the actual fret board radius pretty much doesn't matter, because this easily accommodates easy bending on a 7.25" fretboard, and as the fretboards get flatter, my main concern is easily "grabbing" strings for bends much more than height above the frets.

dwparker

Bluesologist
I have always just done what I later saw that Anthony Stauffer also does.
1. Set the two most outside strings to as low as they will go with no buzz.
2. Raise high E just a tad to assure being able to "grab" it easy with a finger for a deep bend.
3. Raise the A string just a tad higher than the low E.
4. Raise the B string just a tad higher than the high E.
5. Raise the D string just a tad higher than the A string.
6. Raise the G string just a tad higher than the B string.
Play the guitar. It is usually right how I like it. If not, tweak accordingly. I find that the actual fret board radius pretty much doesn't matter, because this easily accommodates easy bending on a 7.25" fretboard, and as the fretboards get flatter, my main concern is easily "grabbing" strings for bends much more than height above the frets.
I gotta agree with this method. I got a set of radius gauges, tried measuring with them, and found that I was pretty much spot on anyways without them. For myself, I didn't really see the benefit. But I understand if others find them useful.