Cables

Tayport

Blues Newbie
Just curious as to what the favorite choices are among forum members for guitar cables. I have several Fenders but wondered if there was a stand out brand that is recommended.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I know a lot of the salespeople at the local GC. Whenever I go there to get a cable they stear me in the direction of the Livewires. Pretty sure on that. They have blue ends. Relatively cheap, and guaranteed for life.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Well here are the issues as i see them in more or less order

Durability of the connectors
Durability of the wire
Electrical characteristics
Looks (e.g. tweed overbraid)

The most significant electrical characteristic is capacitance per foot. Higher numbers will tend to roll off the high frequencies somewhat. It has been reported that SRV favored a long cable to tame the high end of the Strat.

aleclee

Tribe of One
My favorites are Divine Noise. I discovered them when I wrote a review for TGP a while back. They're flawless, unless you consider "not cheap" to be a flaw. ;)

In the reduced sticker shock category, I like Live Wires (have some going strong after 30+ yrs) but if you have decent soldering skills, it's hard to beat DIY for price or quality.

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
Aren't live wires the GC house brand?

I also use Planet Waves. The lifetime warranty is great.

ronico

rainyislandblues
I like Planet Wave . Not been happy with Fender as they seem to fail on the connecters but like the braid. Yorkville (Canadian brand are decent and their higher end lines are great! Last three I bought were Ernie Ball (on sale) and they 've been pretty solid. Sadly the variety of choices is better south of 49th and shipping and duty is a bit of a crapshoot online. Is it just me or can you spend a sh#tton on cabling for one thing or another. Think pedal boards. Phantom costs=rerigging = trip to store =$$$

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Depends.

For acoustic, I use a Stephens "The Switch" cable. Picked up a couple of them years ago. I don't think they make them anymore or at least haven't seen one in I can't tell you when. They were the first cable I ever saw that has an on/off switch on it. That way, when I take off the acoustic and set it on the stand behind the piano (I was playing a regular church gig back then), I could turn it off so that it wouldn't start with any sympathetic vibrations during the rest of the service. The guitar I used back then was an old Martin that just had an under saddle piezo with no volume control.

For electric, I started using Pig Hog cables about three years ago. They seem to be good quality and are easy to use (they don't kink or anything). Walked into the local mom and pop that opened up the street from us. I looked around, but didn't see anything I needed, but I always tried to pick something up just to keep them in business (didn't work, they only lasted a couple of years). The kid manning the counter suggested them, said they were all he used and were the best cable ever, so I grabbed one. They're all I've used since.

For patch cables between pedals, I've got a bunch that I got from my local Radio Shack store before they finally closed 6 or 8 years ago. They're the usual, low-end, cheap cables that you could grab off the RS wall and walk out with a handful for a fiver. But I can't hear a difference when I use them, and they've lasted a LOT longer than I expected.

Elwood

Blues
Mogami Silvers. I had one get a bit noisy and GC replaced it, just like an old Craftsman wrench. Light, and seem to be well made. I just have a couple for instrument input.

Reading the posts from you guys I realize the skinny Mogami cables are a bit prone to mystery tangling, a minor nuisance.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
For my pedal boards all I will use are George L cable kits. I have a George L guitar cable that I love, but pretty expensive.

Last edited:

Tayport

Blues Newbie
As a follow up, with all the GLS recommendations, one arrived on the doorstep today. My first impression was just how solid the connectors are compared to the various brands that I have. I had been getting some buzz at times and that is completely gone with the GLS. I am very happy, thanks everyone for their input.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I did a post in the above link but since then I have started building my own...my only advise: let your ears to the testing and not the brand or price...later.

cowboy

Reactions: EJG