EC's "Sunshine of Your Love" Course

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
Wasn't that a BGU lab? Is it a course now? The lab was great, a course would be awesome!
It's a workshop, now being sold for $17 (digital) or more, according to your preferred format.
Here's the e-mail Griff sent :
Sat, Sep 19, 2:33 PM

I don't know about you, but Cream's, "Sunshine Of Your Love," has always been a favorite song of mine...
But you probably know I'm a little skeptical about teaching songs right off the record.
There are a few reasons, actually - First, of course, is the glaring copyright issue. I've had a few videos over the years get pulled for copyright stuff, and I have no desire to get a nasty letter from anyone's lawyer...
But more importantly is the fact that I don't think it does you much good to just go learn how to play a song note for note...
I think you'd be much better served, and a much better musician in the long run, if you were to brush up on the skills, scales, techniques, and tone stuff that you need for a song - then go learn it.
How are you going to do that?
Glad you asked ;)
Once upon a time I took a month, with a couple hundred BGU students, and taught them how to play, "Sunshine Of Your Love..."
Only, I didn't teach the song directly, I taught everything you'd need to know to learn the song.
We talked, of course, about how to get Clapton's famous 'Woman Tone' on a variety of different types of amps, or with a digital modeler, or using pedals even..
But we also talked about how the basic chord progression is a 12 bar blues, at it's essence, and the main riff is nothing more than a blues scale - box 1 even (at least over the D chord - it goes to box 4 over the G.)
And we covered the soloing strategies in depth... how Clapton weaves between the major and minor blues sounds, which boxes he uses, and when...
I even did a simplified version of the Solo, complete with all of the same ideas, just easier to play. The casual listener probably wouldn't notice the difference between mine and the original, but your fingers certainly would :)
By the end of the month, it was clear that the Challenge was a hit, and I got to hear a ton of recordings of guys and gals playing the song and having fun with it...
So I wrapped up the recordings from those sessions and turned them into a cool little course for you...
It's about 2 hours worth of video, plus some jam tracks, lots of TAB, and all the usual stuff you've come to expect :)
Plus, it's only $17 this weekend, just because I thought it would be fun.
https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/get-ssoyl-17/

Talk soon,
Griff

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Wasn't that a BGU lab? Is it a course now? The lab was great, a course would be awesome!
I think it's the lab turned into the workshop so that, if you have access to the Lab, you've got the workshop. Not completely positive, but that's my belief.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
It was a BGU Labs Challenge (Nov 2018) that was so complete Griff subsequently offered it as a course / workshop.

So if you did the challenge Griff gave you access to the digital version of the course for no additional charge. :)

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
It was a BGU Labs Challenge (Nov 2018) that was so complete Griff subsequently offered it as a course / workshop.

So if you did the challenge Griff gave you access to the digital version of the course for no additional charge. :)
Yes I see it in my Courses you own page

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
It's available to AAP subscribers. I haven't checked it out yet but I checked to make sure it was there. Definitely would buy it if it wasn't available otherwise.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Any one who did the challenge owns the course and can stream it online and/or download it.

AAP members who didn't do the challenge have online streaming access to it.

Those who neither did the challenge nor are AAP members can buy it.

Since I already own it I didn't get the promotional email posted above that actually explains how it started out as a challenge and became a course. :)

Last edited:

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Damn. Damn. Damn. One of my favorite songs of all time! Well, my demographic, of course it is. How did I miss this?

Another course purchase to add to the pile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::rolleyes:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
How'd you get that chorus effect?
I had to go back and reload the original audio recording I did with this. What you hear is the 4 guitars all playing the same thing. When I looked up my recording notes on that, it indicated I had actually recorded 5 guitars, but for some reason the video for the 5th guitar wasn't recorded, so it got mixed as 4 guitars. The amp sim for all 4 guitars was a Super Reverb with a cranked clean boost pedal and nothing else.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Don't own it. Didn't do the challange. Not an AAP member. Didn't get the mail:(
Been looking at this for a while. $29 is a bit much considering what else I've got on. $17 I probably would have jumped in even if I didn't get to it for a while. Oh well back to all the other lessons I've got to do.

cheers

Al.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Damn. Damn. Damn. One of my favorite songs of all time! Well, my demographic, of course it is. How did I miss this?

Another course purchase to add to the pile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::rolleyes:
Don't own it. Didn't do the challange. Not an AAP member. Didn't get the mail:(
Been looking at this for a while. $29 is a bit much considering what else I've got on. $17 I probably would have jumped in even if I didn't get to it for a while. Oh well back to all the other lessons I've got to do.

cheers

Al.
You said what I was trying to say better than I did. Exactly where I am probably at.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
It was released in Dec 2018. At $29 for the digital version it's 25% less than BGU "Labbers" originally paid for the challenge. :)