Learning Notes On The Fretboard - Yet Another Way

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
First you have to find the notes.

Then Griff's 60 BPM exercise will help you memorize where they are. :)

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Knowing where the notes are on the neck has some value. If the key signature is Ab then I know where to position my hands to start. I think learning intervals is more important.

So if you are playing minor pent in Eb, do you really care that you can locate the flat 3 is Gb, or just where it is on the fingerboard relative to the root orr is it just a pattern.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I'm getting a bunch of adverts- don't practice pentatonic scales, play lead guitar "by feel".

Anyone else geting this?

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I'm getting a bunch of adverts- don't practice pentatonic scales, play lead guitar "by feel".

Anyone else geting this?
Yep, I've been seeing them for a couple of months. I downloaded what they're advertising and it turned out to be a very long spiel leading to the Major Scale played (I think this is right) from the Fourth. It was something like that. And some stuff about the "feel" of the notes in the Major scale.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Anyone else geting this?

phrase that was rolling around here a few years ago comes to mind...

"Beware of (and be wary of) shiny objects".

david moon

Attempting the Blues
phrase that was rolling around here a few years ago comes to mind...

"Beware of (and be wary of) shiny objects".
I am definitely wary of shiny objects, and these aren't even that shiny. Seems like they are just promoting playing some patterns on the fretboard, without knowing what they are or why they work. I'm just annoyed at how many ads I'm getting.

ronico

rainyislandblues
I am definitely wary of shiny objects, and these aren't even that shiny. Seems like they are just promoting playing some patterns on the fretboard, without knowing what they are or why they work. I'm just annoyed at how many ads I'm getting.
Yeah in the beginning got a few helpful nuggets but got overwhelmed with that. Not sure if it's my patience or attention span doesn't really work for me. Okay. It's patience. For sure.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
I tried to skin my cat and he scratched and bit me, then ran into my bedroom and pee'd on my pillow.
I caught him and threw him in the dryer for about 10 tumbles and when I let him out he went through three rooms without touching the floor and I haven't seen him for a week.
And I STILL don't know all the notes on the fret board. :(

RR now you've got me peeing :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bill_B

Blues Newbie
Struggling with this myself. I watched several videos on it, I finally found the one that worked for me. It's your basic memory trick of having some odd statement of association. I still haven't mastered the fretboard yet, but It's getting better.

https://youtu.be/nXN7hYNMfhA

ronico

rainyislandblues
Having been down this road myself for goodly (new adj. for OED) number of years you can spend the time working on Griff's suggestions and tools that he provides or surfing 'til your bats#$t baffled. YMMV but it's all right here. Spend your time on the fretboard not the 'puter! Messing with your guitar on your lap is going to move you along way faster. Been there done that....