LOOKING FOR A CAB

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
I have a Quilter 101 Mini and am looking to get a cab (8 ohms). I also have a Straight Ahead Power Amp, will be getting a Boss Katana MKII 100 head and am looking to get a cab that can handle (if needed) all 3 amps at 8 ohms. I realize that my default options are the Quilter BlockDock 10C (100W) and 12C (300W).....but they are a bit pricey and so just looking for any alternatives that would be equivalent, quality-wise. The 12C is probably the ultimate choice but runs $499. Just wondering. Of course, the light weight of the Quilters adds to the appeal. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
What kind of sound are you after? Speakers are easily as important to the end tone as pickups and amps, so getting the right one makes a big difference.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I have a homemade BlockDock with an 8 ohm, 125W, Eminence Lil' Texas Neo speaker in it that you could have for $70 (for the speaker) plus the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Not my best work, but here's what it looks like:

DIYBlockDock.jpg

Last edited:

straightblues

Blues Junior
Has anyone seen a demo of same amp/guitar played thru different speakers?

Go to YouTube and type in guitar speaker comparison. There are a lot of different videos to choose from.I have done a lot of speaker swapping. You need to figure out what you need from a speaker and then look for speakers with those specs. Some of the things to consider when chosing the speaker.

• Do you need the amp to be louder (get a more efficent speaker with higher DB's), or quieter
  • darker, or brighter
  • Earlier breakup or later breakup
  • Better cleans or better dirty tones
  • American style or British Style
  • Alnico v. Ceramic
When I get an amp, I play through it for ahwile, and make as many adjustments as I can with the knobs on the amp. Then I swap in different tubes. Lastly, I look into different speakers if necessary.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Why not just take advantage of Quilter's own extensive research for their best tone and get a cabinet they designed for the amp??

Because the people at Quilter don’t have the same tastes in music and tone that you do? Because there is no such thing as a “best tone” for any amp? Because the design criteria for their cabinet likely included parameters like cost, parts availability, supplier relationships and other things besides just good tone?

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Just think of all the variables when it comes to cabinet sound. You find the "ideal cabinet and speaker", and then your wife decides that your music room must have a carpet and drapes. :cry: Oh well, that is a good excuse to purchase a new speaker cabinet to update your décor. :whistle:

The nice thing about playing in bars was, the "music aficionados" (AKA drunks) never cared about the sound - except they liked it loud. :confused:

Choose the sound that you like and enjoy it! If someone tells you that they do not like your sound, you can tell them where to go and how to get there! :ROFLMAO::cool:

If there was one ideal setup, then we would know it. Nothing else would be available for sale. :)

Tom

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The nice thing about playing in bars was, the "music aficionados" (AKA drunks) never cared about the sound - except they liked it loud. :confused:
Those same drunks can also dramatically change the acoustics in a club as the club fills up with drunks. Which, if you intend to play out, renders any attempt at determining your personal "best" (most favorite) tone while sitting in your basement a completely lost cause.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Those same drunks can also dramatically change the acoustics in a club as the club fills up with drunks. Which, if you intend to play out, renders any attempt at determining your personal "best" (most favorite) tone while sitting in your basement a completely lost cause.

That's one reason I've always questions the usefulness of sound check. What sounds great in sound check will be vastly different when a crowd fills the room (or so I've been told, I personally haven't experienced a full room).