Reverse Polarity Pickups.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Then something else is different, like a flipped magnet or reversed wiring which is what you would expect in a guitar with the Peter Green mod.

This is NOT an opinion, it’s hard science on how magnets and coils in guitar pickups work. You cannot change phase by rotating the pickup.
As an engineer I have not read a technical article that discusses anything opposing what I know. In fact everything I have read discusses the opposite and supporting what I believe. I'll stick with what I know until I read a "reputable" article. It's not something I want to argue about. For me it's like arguing if the wood makes a difference in a solid body guitar. Technically I know it does even though I've argued that on this forum only to find stubborn people. Every technical article I have read justifying that wood doesn't make a difference starts with neglecting wood densities which is at the cornerstone of the mathematical equation of why it makes a difference. I like the tone I get out of my reverse installed pup in my Gary Moore Standard. It makes a difference. If it didn't I don't think that Jimmy Page would have had his Les Paul wired to get the Peter Green effect on command by just switching a switch. :Beer:

artyman

Fareham UK
On my 2016 LP Standard, pulling up on one of the tone knobs puts it out of phase, and the sound is certainly different.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
As an engineer I have not read a technical article that discusses anything opposing what I know. In fact everything I have read discusses the opposite and supporting what I believe. I'll stick with what I know until I read a "reputable" article. It's not something I want to argue about. For me it's like arguing if the wood makes a difference in a solid body guitar. Technically I know it does even though I've argued that on this forum only to find stubborn people. Every technical article I have read justifying that wood doesn't make a difference starts with neglecting wood densities which is at the cornerstone of the mathematical equation of why it makes a difference. I like the tone I get out of my reverse installed pup in my Gary Moore Standard. It makes a difference. If it didn't I don't think that Jimmy Page would have had his Les Paul wired to get the Peter Green effect on command by just switching a switch. :Beer:

The Greeny/Moore guitar sounds the way it does because one of the magnets was flipped to put it out of phase. Page got the same sound by wiring out of phase. The fact that the pickup was also mounted backwards was merely a coincidence and does not change the phase at all. As an engineer, you should be able to figure out that rotating a pickup won’t impact its phase.

https://www.groundguitar.com/gary-moore-gear/gary-moore-peter-green-1959-gibson-les-paul-standard/

Elio

Student Of The Blues
So ... what is your opinion of those Klein '56 Epic Series pickups? https://www.kleinpickups.com/p-252-1956-epic-series-stratocaster-pickups.aspx
I loved them because they nailed the tone I remember from the late 60's when most of my buds were playing 10-year-old Strats.

The only reason I got rid of them was that I re-wired my Strat for 10 different pickup combinations (like the bridge and neck in series) which magnified the hum, and needed to find noiseless pickups ... and found the Zexcoils it now has and that I love.

I should also mention that there is no more buzz than I would reasonably expect on my otherwise stock MiM strat -- but then again, I don't have all that fancy wiring! Fortunately, I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to tones so more than the garden variety array of options is enough to throw me.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The Greeny/Moore guitar sounds the way it does because one of the magnets was flipped to put it out of phase. Page got the same sound by wiring out of phase. The fact that the pickup was also mounted backwards was merely a coincidence and does not change the phase at all. As an engineer, you should be able to figure out that rotating a pickup won’t impact its phase.

https://www.groundguitar.com/gary-moore-gear/gary-moore-peter-green-1959-gibson-les-paul-standard/
You are contradicting yourself

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
You are contradicting yourself
Nope, you are just confused. Read the link I posted. Look up how a PAF is put together and think about how polarity works both with magnets and coils.

Trust me, I have done and undone the “Peter Green” mod to a number of guitars. If you leave enough winds on your tuning pegs, you can loosen the strings and flip a magnet with a screw driver and a couple minutes effort, and see for yourself how the tone changes when in and out of phase vs just mounting the pickup standard or backwards.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Nope, you are just confused. Read the link I posted. Look up how a PAF is put together and think about how polarity works both with magnets and coils.

Trust me, I have done and undone the “Peter Green” mod to a number of guitars. If you leave enough winds on your tuning pegs, you can loosen the strings and flip a magnet with a screw driver and a couple minutes effort, and see for yourself how the tone changes when in and out of phase vs just mounting the pickup standard or backwards.
you did contradict yourself and this is all I've been saying, "The Greeny/Moore guitar sounds the way it does because one of the magnets was flipped to put it out of phase." And I'm done with this.