Electric Guitars NG (PRS) D

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Got my Vela today!

It's beautiful and it is a VERY dark walnut.
First off, it needs new strings.
As I mentioned, it's a 2019 demo so for all I know it's been sitting around collecting dust for almost two years and the strings felt very dry.

But as far as sound goes, I finally have a guitar that sounds different. By that I mean that the bridge humbucker can crunch when full (but not a chest thumping crunch) and it can sound rather "chimey" when split (I think the brass saddles have a lot to do with both). The neck single coil has a unique sound as well and it can sound very clean with the volume rolled off or it can have a nice "chunk" to it that almost sounds like a humbucker but with less compression.

What I really like is that I can finally use some of my other distortion pedals.
It sounds good with my trusty DS-1 as do many of my other guitars, but it sounds even better with my Earthquaker Westwood.
The Westwood sounds OK with my other rigs (to be honest, I haven't played EVERY guitar I have through it) but this particular guitar it seems to really shine with it and it sounds really nice. It also sounds good with my BD-2 which I hardly ever use because I've always thought it to be a bit muddy, but not so with the Vela.

So now I have some different flavors.
I need to take some time to really set it up properly and of course get some fresh strings on it, but I think this "Little Vela" is going to be a very nice addition to the family.

One small gripe:
The volume knob is situated more like a Strat and it's very easy to turn and I found myself hitting it with my fingers and turning it down.
So I have to play it more like I play my Strat but that's a minor adjustment in technique and no big deal.

Otherwise, I am indeed a very happy camper! :Beer:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I'm a little surprised Sweetwater shipped it without fresh strings!

I don't know if fresh strings are part of the deal. Their 55-point inspection simply refers to stretching and cosmetic appearance.

The strings on my "Paul's Guitar" (also a demo) are brand new and very lively so maybe that guitar was more recent in terms of how long it sat around.

I've got plenty of strings and it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Sweetwater has been really good over the years and but even the best shortstop misses an easy grounder once in a while.

Shit happens, right?

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
That is one beautiful looking guitar JP. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, and you have many happy years together.:)

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I gotta say, I am really becoming a fan of PRS.
There have been a few threads recently featuring PRS guitars and I must say they are fine looking pieces. I've never played one, but this is tempting me to try some out when things get safe again.:)

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Got my Vela today!

But as far as sound goes, I finally have a guitar that sounds different. By that I mean that the bridge humbucker can crunch when full (but not a chest thumping crunch) and it can sound rather "chimey" when split (I think the brass saddles have a lot to do with both). The neck single coil has a unique sound as well and it can sound very clean with the volume rolled off or it can have a nice "chunk" to it that almost sounds like a humbucker but with less compression.

Otherwise, I am indeed a very happy camper! :Beer:
John, congrats on the new Vela. Enjoy it a very long time.

I have been very vocal on here about my passion for PRS guitars. I have three and there is no doubt my next will be built in Annapolis. On my purchases thus far, and any future purchases, there has been a guy on the PRS forum that has been (will be) huge help to me. He is a gigging musician in the Boston area, owns somewhere between a dozen and 20 PRS guitars, and when he tips his head PRS model numbers fall out. Whenever he goes to a gig it is his Vela that is his primary guitar.

When I bought my last guitar, my Santana, he tried to convince me to get a Vela. Unfortunately, my decision was based on emotion rather than logic. Being a Santana fan I just always wanted one. But when I was looking he tried to explain the difference in the Vela sound and it just didn't "click" what he was trying to say. You came a lot closer to making it comprehensible. Thank you.

Should I have another NGD I continue to vacillate between a DGT and a McCarty 594. Latest Vegas odds have the McCarty at 3:2. But I really need to look at an S2.

John, congrats again on the gorgeous new guitar.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
John, congrats on the new Vela. Enjoy it a very long time.

I have been very vocal on here about my passion for PRS guitars. I have three and there is no doubt my next will be built in Annapolis. On my purchases thus far, and any future purchases, there has been a guy on the PRS forum that has been (will be) huge help to me. He is a gigging musician in the Boston area, owns somewhere between a dozen and 20 PRS guitars, and when he tips his head PRS model numbers fall out. Whenever he goes to a gig it is his Vela that is his primary guitar.

When I bought my last guitar, my Santana, he tried to convince me to get a Vela. Unfortunately, my decision was based on emotion rather than logic. Being a Santana fan I just always wanted one. But when I was looking he tried to explain the difference in the Vela sound and it just didn't "click" what he was trying to say. You came a lot closer to making it comprehensible. Thank you.

Should I have another NGD I continue to vacillate between a DGT and a McCarty 594. Latest Vegas odds have the McCarty at 3:2. But I really need to look at an S2.

John, congrats again on the gorgeous new guitar.

Thanks, matonangin!

I put a fresh set of D'Addario 10's on it, massaged the action more to my liking and adjusted the pickup heights and man, this guitar came alive!

I mean, it sounded very nice out of the box but after new strings and the various adjustments (and some more serious volume), it REALLY - REALLY sounds good! :D

Even the "fingers-hitting-the-volume-knob" issue is no longer a problem.
I started by resting the tips of my third and fourth fingers against the bottom of the bridge pickup to help keep my "flying fingers" under control and after a short while I completely forgot all about the volume knob -- probably because I was too busy listening to the sounds this thing creates.

I went through gain then no gain then a series of pedals and then no pedals and then just one or two pedals and the tones and overtones I was getting were varied and sometimes even surprising. The tonal sweet spot seems to be the middle position with and without the coil-split in the bridge. The bridge alone can rock and the single neck pup can go from jazzy mellow to bluesy grind and both sound bright and chimey but can be easily toned down with a small EQ adjustment. They don't have quite the complexity of the TCI pups in my SE "Paul's Guitar", but they have a distinct voice of their own that's neither better nor worse -- just different, which is what I was after.

Like I said, it was a bit spendy for me and with the stock strings and no fine-tuning I was a little concerned about whether I had made a good choice
But now that it's all dialed in, I couldn't be happier! :cool:

I know the S2 Vela isn't in the same ballpark as a McCarty 594 (which is a beautiful guitar BTW), but it might be worth a look.
PRS has definitely found a formula for making not just affordable guitars, but for making affordable guitars that look and sound great.
As I wrote in another thread, I think PRS figured out that concentrating on what counts as opposed to what glitters is a good formula.

Don't get me wrong -- their glitter can often be gorgeous -- I'm just not sure it's worth the cost.

Anyway, good luck with your search! :Beer: