More Ear Training

dwparker

Bluesologist
Snarf's post made me think, what are folks doing for ear training, and I mean in a structured, goal oriented sort of way? I've used a few apps in the past which helped we with certain skills, but I'm not 100% sure of their value because all my ear training has been kind of random, nothing really structured. I feel like I'm missing something here.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
If you look back at the end of Snarf's thread, you may get a clue.
Goal oriented?? What exactly is the goal?? If you can't define it, you likely won't achieve it.
If your answer is "to improve my ability to hear and identify intervals", I say no, that's not an answer.
That is implied - the answer lies is WHY do you want to do that? For what end purpose?

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you would actually like to improve your playing ability.
IMO, you already have the best tool right in your hands - your guitar. The rest of the answer is in your head.

For example, I'll bet you know the house position. Grab your guitar. Let's start with something really simple. Well, in reality, it may not actually be as simple as it sounds, at least at first.
Play the second string at the 8th fret and hum that note.
Now, hum the note at the 3rd string 9th fret without actually playing that note on your guitar. Then play that note. Was your hum right?
Continue this type of interval practice with the 5 notes in the house position. Then start introducing bent notes.
Continue doing this until you can't fail. Always hum the next note before you play it.
Then expand on this approach to other patterns and areas of the neck that you are familiar with.
This will get you results in your playing that goes beyond the academic ability to just name intervals you hear.
Feel free to figure out and name what each interval actually is as you do this if you wish, but IMO, that should not be the primary focus or reason for doing this.

On the other hand, if your goal is to become an interval naming savant, keep looking for some other tool.

dwparker

Bluesologist
Thanks for the reply. My goal is to hear something and be able to then play it myself based just on aural memory. I am going to give your suggestion an honest attempt and see how it goes.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
My advice is similar to OG's except that I would start off with simple tunes that you are familiar with (e.g. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Three Blind Mice, Pop Goes the Weasel, etc). Pick a starting note and try to find the next note. You will make mistakes at first but with time as you develop better interval sense, you will slowly get more accurate. More fun this way!

Last edited:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I have absolutely no problem with what BoogieMan is suggesting also.
However, let me point out that if the objective is to improve the ability to play blues, then using the standard, known blues patterns for this exercise will specifically target and reinforce the intervals common to the blues genre.
Adding in other known tunes as suggested will further expand your ability, and that's a good thing.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I have absolutely no problem with what BoogieMan is suggesting also.
However, let me point out that if the objective is to improve the ability to play blues, then using the standard, known blues patterns for this exercise will specifically target and reinforce the intervals common to the blues genre.
Adding in other known tunes as suggested will further expand your ability, and that's a good thing.

Agreed. I picked up the idea from an old Barney Kessel video (see 07:45 - 08:50). I think it's worth a look for those who are trying to develop their ear.

I think the idea is that once you have developed this ability to find the right note, you will be able to transfer a phrase or lick from head to fingers accurately without hesitation.

Last edited:

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Snarf's post made me think, what are folks doing for ear training, and I mean in a structured, goal oriented sort of way? I've used a few apps in the past which helped we with certain skills, but I'm not 100% sure of their value because all my ear training has been kind of random, nothing really structured. I feel like I'm missing something here.

I think ear training is just really hard to teach. You pretty much have to develop this skill yourself over time.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I think ear training is just really hard to teach. You pretty much have to develop this skill yourself over time.
BINGO!!!
At some point, a person transitions from only taking lessons from others, to teaching yourself.
That is a good point to be at.
I believe the same is true for improvising. Ultimately, each individual just has to figure it out for themselves by drawing from
a variety of different sources of knowledge, technique, and methodology until you find the combination that turns the light bulb on.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Agreed. I picked up the idea from an old Barney Kessel video (see 07:45 - 08:50). I think it's worth a look for those who are trying to develop their ear.

I think the idea is that once you have developed this ability to find the right note, you will be able to transfer a phrase or lick from head to fingers accurately without hesitation.

That was exactly what I was thinking but couldn't put into words.
Kinda Play a lot and you get a sense of where to put your fingers to get the note that you want.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
Thanks for the reply. My goal is to hear something and be able to then play it myself based just on aural memory. I am going to give your suggestion an honest attempt and see how it goes.

I'll jump in here because...well...I haven't posted in a while.

My personal goal has never been to play what somebody else plays. I have never been one to hear a guitar solo and say 'I want to learn how to play that solo'. I have always wanted to create and play my own stuff...not someone else's.

I started playing guitar in high school...a loooong time ago...then stopped...for many reasons...then started up again about 20 years ago (I'm 63 now). Then I found Griff and his lessons and the rest is history. With Griff's lessons I can pull bits and pieces from each lesson and put them together to make them my own music and/or solos...good or bad!. I have a Yamaha Clavinova here at home that I can 'create' my own background music...adding or subtracting instruments, slow up or speed up the tempo, etc.

I have never played in a band. I play really for my own enjoyment (and to forget about life for a while and to de-stress from the pressures from running my business).

You're millage may differ!!

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
My personal goal has never been to play what somebody else plays. I have never been one to hear a guitar solo and say 'I want to learn how to play that solo'. I have always wanted to create and play my own stuff...not someone else's.

Whether you're playing your own stuff or someone else's, if you are like me you need to hear it in your head before you can transfer it to the fretboard. Having a developed ear and a good sense of the sound of the different intervals really helps.