Seymour Duncan 59's

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have a "little 59", which is the single-coil sized version in the neck position of my Godin SD. I'm really happy with the tone, although the output is not quite at the same level as the full-sized version.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I put a set of SD 59's in my Epi LP Custom and I love them!

They're fairly hot with Alnico V magnets but they can handle everything from smooth Jazz to Blues to screaming "Hair Band".

I also have a set of Seth Lovers in my Epi 335 which are more mellow and sound great as well though not quite as punchy as the 59's.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
I bought a set of ‘59’s for my ‘59Les Paul I made. Didn’t like the sound of them so I put in a used set of BurstBuckers and it is my dream sound. I did have a ‘59 bridge pup in a sort of PRS style guitar I had made, and it sounded pretty good.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've got one of these with a 59 in the neck, sounds great to me.

The front pick-up is a Seymour Duncan SH-1 or ’59 model. This is Seymour Duncan ’s superior translation of the
traditional P.A.F. style humbucker . (P.A.F. is “patent applied for” and was used in the original Les Paul guitars.”)
• The back pick-up is a SH-4 or JB model. This pick-up is the archetype hot-rodded humbucker. (This pick-up is
“overwound” to provide a hotter output).
• The combination of pick-ups offers the player a wide range of tone and provides a clean, powerful output for
whatever you plug into.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Ask RR
I think he has sampled every known pickup on earth:)
Peace
I don't like Seymour Duncan pickups (yeah, so whip me). Early on in my endeavors I stuck with the obvious choices ... Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio. Without fail I always liked the Dimarzios better. That was a good 10 years ago and I haven't tried a Seymour Duncan since. Now that I have 16 electrics and every one of them tweaked to roll my personal socks up and down, my days of trying new pickups is pretty much over and done with. When it comes to humbuckers, all of my guitars save three have either GFS, Joe Naylor, Bare Knuckle or JWP pickups in them and those three have a set of Gibson '57 Classics, the stock pickups in my EPI 339 Pro, one Carvin with their original 11-pole-piece pickups. I will take Bare Knuckle or JWP over Duncan any day of the week (and don't ask me to start a range war by elucidating why ... just my personal preference). This is for dulal-bucker guitars.

For Strats I have tried just about every pickup out there and have landed on Zexcoils as the absolute best. Next in line would be Kinmans. I have never found a rail single-coil or stacked single-coil that I liked at all. Quarter-pounders are good for a loud, punchy, gutsy sound, but they don't sound like a Strat.

Last edited:

Rob63

Make It Your Own
I don't like Seymour Duncan pickups (yeah, so whip me). Early on in my endeavors I stuck with the obvious choices ... Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio. Without fail I always liked the Dimarzios better. That was a good 10 years ago and I haven't tried a Seymour Duncan since. Now that I have 16 electrics and every one of them tweaked to roll my personal socks up and down, my days of trying new pickups is pretty much over and done with. When it comes to humbuckers, all of my guitars save three have either GFS, Joe Naylor, Bare Knuckle or JWP pickups in them and those three have a set of Gibson '57 Classics, the stock pickups in my EPI 339 Pro, one Carvin with their original 11-pole-piece pickups. I will take Bare Knuckle or JWP over Duncan any day of the week (and don't ask me to start a range war by elucidating why ... just my personal preference). This is for dulal-bucker guitars.

For Strats I have tried just about every pickup out there and have landed on Zexcoils as the absolute best. Next in line would be Kinmans. I have never found a rail single-coil or stacked single-coil that I liked at all. Quarter-pounders are good for a loud, punchy, gutsy sound, but they don't sound like a Strat.

I was going to go for the Gibson Classic 57's but they took a big price jump on my side of the border.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I'd go with the Seth Lovers or the Antiquity humbuckers if I wanted that 59ish sound. But then I pretty much just keep what ever guitar I buy stock as it comes when I bought the guitar........ I like the Gibson classic 59's a lot. :Beer: