Miscellaneous what guitar mags do you get?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Putting this in the gear section just for the reason that I get a couple of guitar mags every month almost solely just to see what gear is getting used and to see the ads for the cool, new shinies. Yes, all they do is feed my GAS, but whatever. Both of my subscriptions have 2 issues left, so I'm trying to decide if I'm going to renew one, both, or neither of them. I'm also thinking I might try another one for a while since I've gotten these two for the last 2 years.

Any of you get any guitar mags? If so, which ones? Why do you get the ones you get?

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Mags? You mean for pickups? :D Alnico 2, Alnico 5, some Alnico 4, and occasionally ceramics as well.

Oh wait, are you talking about those glossy paper things really old people used to read before Al Gore invented the Internet? I haven’t seen one of those since the big hair and spandex era.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
are you talking about those glossy paper things really old people used to read before Al Gore invented the Internet?
yep, those things. I have my Kindle and use it all the time, but I still sometimes prefer the tactile feel of a page between my fingers as it turns.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I get the free bee Guitar World and Guitar Player emails, that come several times a week. That, the BGU Forum, and The Gear Page more than meet my needs for interesting articles, cool shiny stuff, and general buffoonery.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I read Australian Guitar, Guitar Player, Guitar World, Rolling Stone, Guitarist pretty much every issue. I mostly ignore the ads.

And they are ALL FREE. Care of my Public Library e-Resources. Read them at home on my computer, any time I feel like it. Back issues too.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I read Australian Guitar, Guitar Player, Guitar World, Rolling Stone, Guitarist pretty much every issue. I mostly ignore the ads.

And they are ALL FREE. Care of my Public Library e-Resources. Read them at home on my computer, any time I feel like it. Back issues too.

In an unrelated issue, I see it is around 8:45 AM Friday, in your area. It is about 3:45 PM, Thursday, here in San Jose, California. Can you tell us what is going to happen between now and 8:45 AM tomorrow, in our area? ;) Perhaps I do not want to know! :eek:

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Think of those trees we have saved by not buying magazines? :cool: Then I think of the forest fires we are experiencing. :eek: Now to rationalize: Perhaps we need more magazines being sold, to reduce the number of trees, to reduce the forest fires, smoke, and damage being done by those nasty trees! Buy magazines, and help protect the environment! :cry:

Tom

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
In an unrelated issue, I see it is around 8:45 AM Friday, in your area. It is about 3:45 PM, Thursday, here in San Jose, California. Can you tell us what is going to happen between now and 8:45 AM tomorrow, in our area? ;) Perhaps I do not want to know! :eek:

Tom
Hmmmm, some sleep maybe? What I want to know is how you "liked" my post, and posted a reply, when the forum isn't showing you being online? Oh, I know, Tom's a ghost in my machine :)
Also in your neck of the woods between now and 8:45 am there will be some darkness, albeit tinged with orange. It will probably be smoky. Trump will tweet.
That's all from here, my prognosticator's hat just ran out of charge, and the bluetooth dongle is on the blink.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I pick up a copy of Guitar Player every Blue Moon or so.

Some interesting articles, some nice gear, but otherwise I'm not really interested in subscribing.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
yep, those things. I have my Kindle and use it all the time, but I still sometimes prefer the tactile feel of a page between my fingers as it turns.

Do you get the paper copy of the Sweetwater catalog? If you just want to drool over gear, that's a great way to do it. Way fatter with tons more gear than the guitar magazines.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, we have all sorts of "experts" right here with all sorts of opinions, and we seldom agree on much of anything. :whistle::whistle:
Of course, I'm always right, so my opinion is the only one that matters..
crazy-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Well, sometimes Tom is right too, but only when he agrees with me. :whistle:

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Guitar Player, Guitar World, Guitarist, Premier Guitar and Acoustic Guitar, in addition to newspapers; I'm kinda old school I guess. Unlike many, it seems I enjoy reading the articles as well as the advertisements. My favorite is Acoustic Guitar as it has some very good lessons.

With everything going online I'm gonna be one of the last holdouts for print media.

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Guitar Player, Guitar World, Guitarist, Premier Guitar and Acoustic Guitar, in addition to newspapers; I'm kinda old school I guess. Unlike many, it seems I enjoy reading the articles as well as the advertisements. My favorite is Acoustic Guitar as it has some very good lessons.

With everything going online I'm gonna be one of the last holdouts for print media.
Terry, we must have gone to the same old school; I subscribe to Guitar World, Guitar Player, Vintage Guitar and will often buy Guitarist when I see it at the news stand. I like the flashy ads and new gear reviews, but I especially enjoy the many music profiles in every issue. While I don’t take enough advantage of the monthly lessons, there is a ton of knowledge presented in most of these magazines, and Guitar World has monthly tabs for songs, another bonus. I really enjoy my subscriptions.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
When I can (Rarely) I get Buddy Magazine (free Magazine).
https://buddymagazine.com/
It's technically only available in music stores and record shops(and pretty much only in (Dallas), but I met the editor at the Dallas Guitar Show many years ago and I got him to mail them to me (I paid postage and a bit of handling If I remember). It didn't last long. He kept forgetting to send them.