Learning Notes On The Fretboard - Yet Another Way

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Just when I thought I'd seen every possible way to learn the notes on the fretboard, David Wallimann posted this:

Take a look. You might like it, but to me, it's way overcomplicated. I think I'll stick with Griff's method. :)

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
As with any topic, "there are many ways to skin a cat"!

One topic I really enjoy is the so called "B. B. Box". I have seen at least six different versions of that box, each one a bit different than the others.

There is no question that learning a note and its position on the guitar neck, is important. One article on that subject suggested using the "B. B. Box", and learn the 2nd string only. That will work for some, and is not a bad concept.

Different people learn at different rates, and different methods have different results for many students. In the case of learning guitar, there are so many paths to consider. You have to find what works best for you. That is why I say, "You have to become your own teacher"! :)

Tom

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Just when I thought I'd seen every possible way to learn the notes on the fretboard, David Wallimann posted this:

Take a look. You might like it, but to me, it's way overcomplicated. I think I'll stick with Griff's method. :)

I saw that in his email this morning and came to about the same conclusion. I like the idea of using mnemonics and thought that the first part was clicking for me. At the point of spelling it backwards, he kinda lost me though.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
"there are many ways to skin a cat"
I tried to skin my cat and he scratched and bit me, then ran into my bedroom and pee'd on my pillow.
I caught him and threw him in the dryer for about 10 tumbles and when I let him out he went through three rooms without touching the floor and I haven't seen him for a week.
And I STILL don't know all the notes on the fret board. :(

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
To me seems kind of over complicated, but it might work for someone else. Not sure if Griff teaches it this way , but always seemed the easiest way to me.

E and A you shoul know cold

D string =E+2 frets
G =A+2
B=A-2

YMMV

Last edited:

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
To me seems kind of over complicated, but it might work for someone else. Not sure if Griff teaches it this way , but always seemed the easiest way to me.

E and A you shoul know cold

D string =E+2 frets
G =A+2
B=A-2

YMMV
I don't get this. Could you explain please?

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
I don't get this. Could you explain please?
I respectfully disagree with PapaBear. He wasn't talking about octaves. He said think of the D string as the E string BUT there are 2 frets below the E note on the D string. But once you get to the 2nd fret of the D string (E) then it's just like the E string. Go up a fret from E and you're at F. Go up 2 more frets from F and you're at G...just like on the E String.

He's not looking at octaves, just trying to look at the sting in isolation just like you learned the E string...in isolation. You learned the notes on the string without regard to any other notes on other strings. Just memorized it by rote and now you know it. He says you pretty much know the D string already if you start from the 2nd fret. Same thing for the G and the B strings. Just trying to relate those "mystery strings" to a string you already know to try and remove the mystery.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
It's also another way of stating some of the "octave rules" (in "reverse").

D string = E+2 frets (= 2+2 rule "right facing" from 6th string root)

The octave of any note on the E string in up 2 strings and up 2 frets on the D string.

G = A+2 (= 2+2 rule "right facing" from 5th string root)

Same thing. The octave of any note on the A string in up 2 strings and up 2 frets on the G string.

B = A-2 (= 3-2 rule "left facing" from 5th string root)

We go left. The octave of any note on the A string is also up 3 strings and down 2 frets on the B string.

We could also add a 3-3 rule going left from a 6th string root. G = E-3. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I also like to use the fact that we tune the strings in Perfect 4ths in Standard Tuning (Major 3rd for G string to B string.)

That means that you'll always find the same note 5 frets down on the next string up. (4 frets going from 3rd to 2nd string)

Last edited:

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
It's also another way of stating some of the "octave rules" (in "reverse").

D string = E+2 frets (= 2+2 rule "right facing" from 6th string root)

The octave of any note on the E string in up 2 strings and up 2 frets on the D string.

G = A+2 (= 2+2 rule "right facing" from 5th string root)

Same thing. The octave of any note on the A string in up 2 strings and up 2 frets on the G string.

B = A-2 (= 3-2 rule "left facing" from 5th string root)

We go left. The octave of any note on the A string is also up 3 strings and down 2 frets down on the B string.

We could also add a 3-3 rule going left from a 6th string root. G = E-3. :sneaky:

I stand corrected. One can easily see the octaves using that system. I guess I'm just have the mindset that I want to KNOW each string independent from all the other strings so I don't have to do the "conversion" in real time as I'm playing. That shaded my interpretation.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I respectfully disagree with PapaBear. He wasn't talking about octaves. He said think of the D string as the E string BUT there are 2 frets below the E note on the D string. But once you get to the 2nd fret of the D string (E) then it's just like the E string. Go up a fret from E and you're at F. Go up 2 more frets from F and you're at G...just like on the E String.

He's not looking at octaves, just trying to look at the sting in isolation just like you learned the E string...in isolation. You learned the notes on the string without regard to any other notes on other strings. Just memorized it by rote and now you know it. He says you pretty much know the D string already if you start from the 2nd fret. Same thing for the G and the B strings. Just trying to relate those "mystery strings" to a string you already know to try and remove the mystery.
If that logic works for you then rock it, but what Kevin was stating is exactly what Paleo mapped out

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Learning how the strings are related to each other will help you understand how the notes on them are related to each other and will lead you to eventually understand and learn all the notes "independently" on each one of them. :)

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I also like to use the fact that we tune the strings in Perfect 4ths in Standard Tuning (Major 3rd for G string to B string.)
OK, so I just watched David's video to see what he came up with.

Notice that he goes across each fret spelling B E A D G C, the Circle of 4ths. :sneaky:

And I agree with @MikeR that David's way seems way more complicated to me than it needs to be, even though I do understand what he's doing. :)

Last edited:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Something that I often think gets lost with guitar players is the SOUND of the note. Not what it sounds like, but the pitch. Fretless string instruments (violin family) and most wind instruments rely on the player being able to make the instrument sound the right pitch. Guitarists often get bogged down in the mechanics - "put your finger here". Griff's exercise that goes like "play every E at sixty beats a minute, then play every G# at sixty beats a minute...." is a fantastic way for beginners and intermediate players to find out where to find the notes. And DO NOT neglect to work above the 12th fret.