Budget 335 style guitar

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
The knobs in the video above are reflective knobs instead of speed knobs, looks like they changed knobs over the years.
One if the things I will change over time I'm sure. I'm intrigued with the idea of adding a bigsby but I am working on my own from scratch build with a bigsby which would be my first ever, so I will likely wait to see how much I like it. I suspect I wouldn't use it enough to make it worth it.

I want to play with the stock pickups before I decide what or even if to replace them.

Edit:eek:h yeah and I love the green burst but that build I've been working on is going to be emerald green, possibly with a burst.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I LOVE a Bigsby B5! It is a lot more subtle than a Strat whammy. And it gives a guitar a "muscle" look ... kind of like a '55 Chevy with a Hurst shifter. :):)

Firefly upgrades are wherever you want to take them. Just add locking tuners. Or locking tuners and a roller bridge. Or both combined with a Bigsby. The Bigsby B5 and Vibromate plate cost more than the guitar.

The stock pickups are OK, but not stellar. I love my firefly enough to have invested in a set of Bare Knuckle Mule pickups for it (I got the potted version). They cost more than the guitar ($359.00). Am I nuts? That's a matter of opinion. I also have all new CTS pots and new paper in oil capacitors. I am going to have a good guitar tech install them because I do NOT want to mess with trying to fish everything through a freaking F-hole.

Bare Knuckle.jpg

Scroll ahead to 28:05 for the Bare Knuckle Mule pickups in the video.

Last edited:

Tayport

Blues Newbie
Hmm, did I get scammed? I searched for ff338 in amazon and the link at the top is to the Firefly store reviews but it looks like this is not the Firefly store:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075FW24C5

And they say:
Please note: We don't supply the belt and we changed the nut to bone and used Nickel strings according to the customer's requirement

Edit:it says it's returnable so hopefully all is fine
I don't know how it works but Amazon seems to have several retailers who sell Firefly's guitars. Mine took literally two months to receive after I ordered it and at the time was apparently "available". I contacted Amazon several times and they assured me that I would get it, which I did.

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
I have Amazon prime and got mine in 2 days. They overnighted to me. Don't know how they could have afforded that on a $139 (at that time) guitar.

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I have prime as well. I may have just gotten a supplier who over estimated his orders. I was tempted to cancel but they were hard to get.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
By the time you mod it---you would probably be further ahead to just buying what really want...A Epi-would probably be your best deal.-(Gibsons are WAY to over priced.)
I missed the offer for the AS-93 before I ordered the firefly but I'll keeping in mind if the firefly doesn't work out although I'm pretty stuck on red atm :)

I already have an epiphone dot (my first guitar) but it has developed a twist in the neck. I found myself tinkering with the dot anyway. Replaced the tuners and added a roller bridge, so I will reuse some parts from that and even if I put another $150 into the firefly, I get so pick those parts and tinker :) that's a big part of the appeal and at least one reason why a bigsby sounds intriguing.
I missed a cheap monoprice LP that remains one in my favorite guitars.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I get to pick those parts and tinker :) that's a big part of the appeal and at least one reason why a bigsby sounds intriguing.
There you go! ME TOO! And I have to say say that my Firefly is every bit on the same quality level as my EPI 339 Pro ... except for the pickups which aren't quite up to that level.

I chose some expensive pickups for mine, but you don't have to spend that kind of money to make a big improvement. These $40.00 pickups are outstanding.
I can't tell any difference between these and Gibby '57 Classics that I also have.
https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS-Classic-II-Alnico-2-Vintage-Wound-Humbucker-Chrome--Kwikplug™-Ready_p_21911.html

Last edited:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I chose some expensive pickups for mine, but you don't have to spend that kind of money to make a big improvement. These $40.00 pickups are outstanding.
I can't tell any difference between these and Gibby '57 Classics that I also have.
https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS-Classic-II-Alnico-2-Vintage-Wound-Humbucker-Chrome--Kwikplug™-Ready_p_21911.html

I thought the pickups in my Dot were OK but not great, I think they changed them the year after I bought mine. I think those GFS pickups are what I have in my Monoprice LP, although after the fact it made me realize how good the Monoprice pickups were to start with.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
The only thing I did to mine was a graphtec nut, and some Jin-Lo locking tuners. I’ve found no reason to change the pickups or electronics.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Supposedly it comes with a bone nut.
I'll figure out what I want to change when I get it, looks like some people are getting bridge buzzing which I also got from my Epiphone u til I messed with the retaining wire.
Sometim s you make changes because you need them and sometimes you do just for the heck of it :)

I will likely change the knobs to less modern looking ones and will likely remove the poker chip around the switch but I'll see when I see it in person.

If I change the pickups I may add in push-pulls also, the sky is the limit...

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Ok think if few of you got 335 style guitars a while back on Amazon for like $150 or something crazy.
I'm in the market for a red (cherry or wine) 335 to use as a potential mod platform, so that seems like a good place to start, although I'm open to other suggestions

Guitar Fetish has a clearance guitar that also fit the bill: https://www.guitarfetish.com/LIMITE...W-COST-Cherry-Red-Two-Humbuckers_p_35595.html
I have never been disapointed with Guitar Fetish.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I have never been disappointed but I have been "surprised" espec when using the clearance stuff. Often needs an extra cut or tuck, but that part of the fun.
I have loved every single pickup I got from them.

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
I changed the tuners to Grover's and made a bone nut for mine the spacing was to narrow. I swapped the pickups with some Seymour Duncan's...... but could have left the originals as they were pretty good. I also leveled crowned and polished the frets. It is an awesome guitar!

Last edited:

Slofinger

Blues Junior
The bone nut on mine was absolutely unplayable. And just a few sharp fret ends. Absolute bargain at $139 with free shipping when I bought it.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
Where do you get your jin-lo tuners? I may not need them for this project but I've got others cooking
I’ve gotten several sets off of eBay. Been awhile though so I’m not sure if their still available there. Usually right around $34 and I’ve only gotten one marginal set.