Bidding on nostagia

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Well I am currently high bidder on ebay for a Japanese copy of a Gibson EB-3 bass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ma...905812?hash=item3da9de08d4:g:zSwAAOSwcwVfRBIl

The EB-3 had a SG-style body, 2 pickups, short scale, set neck. The copy has a bolt-on neck.

So where does the nostalgia come in? Well my first real bass ca. 1970 was a Gibson EB-0. Basically the same but with a single neck pickup. Vintage EB-0s are being offered on ebay for $2K-3K. Wow. Strangely, most are being offered "from Japan". No way I can indulge my nostalgia with the real thing.

My next "real bass" was a Gibson EB-2D. This was a cherry red, semi-hollow ES-335 style body with 2 pickups. These are being offered on ebay from $3K-4K. I've heard other people playing one and it has a sweet woody tone.

I don't remember when or how I got rid of either, but next was a Fender Jazz Bass and that became my go-to.

P.S. I just noticed tonight that the pickup selector toggle switch on the bass is labeled "SEARCH" and "DESTROY". I doubt if that is original, but I like it.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
my brother had a Gibson bass in the 60's...low end big time...

I almost scored a Vox Super Beatle amp w/stand a few years back...missed it by 5 minutes...had one as a kid...beasts to carry but tons of fun and effects...hope you score this one Doug...later.

cowboy

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Here's a listing for an EB-2D at $4K+. This one has the mute that mine had, a lever behind the bridge that would raise or lower a felt mute on the strings. Also there is toggle switch to select pickups, but also a push-push switch that selects "baritone" mode. That inserted a sries inductor to kill the lower frequencies. I don't know if anyone ever used it

david moon

Attempting the Blues
At that time in my life I was taking lessons on string bass from a classical player..String bass and other classical strings do not have a finish on the neck- maybe a very thin sealer:
So I stripped the neck of my EB-2 and oiled it. So if you come across a cherry red EB-2 with no finish on the neck, that was mine

Elio

Student Of The Blues
At that time in my life I was taking lessons on string bass from a classical player..String bass and other classical strings do not have a finish on the neck- maybe a very thin sealer:
So I stripped the neck of my EB-2 and oiled it. So if you come across a cherry red EB-2 with no finish on the neck, that was mine

I haven't seen your EB-2,, but I do have a fire engine red Peavey DynaBass that the previous owner stripped the finished from the neck. Unfortunately, for me, the neck finish is not the thing holding back the speed of my playing :cool:

Attachments

• 20200830_061645.jpg
    20200830_061645.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 6

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
But why so serious??
It was hilarious!!!! A friend of ours asked if he could take our pic, as he was trying to get into the business and wanted a bit of practice. He asked us to look 'mean'. Big mistake.:ROFLMAO: Somebody would burst out laughing during the 3-2-1. He must have taken about a dozen pics. He was starting to loose the will to live and was getting low on film, so he said 'if you can't stop sniggering then just put your hand over your mouth'. As you can see, my professionalism showed through, whilst the other two in the back row struggled.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What's the buffalo joke?

It reminds me of the one where a horse walks into a bar, and the bartender says, 'why the long face'.:sneaky:

david moon

Attempting the Blues