Attn: PRS fans, help wanted

Elwood

Blues
Hey guys (and gals),

I have been thinking about a double coil guitar for a while. LPs and es-335s are not in my future.

I need something lightweight, and always prefer something simple electrically. I have not learned all the wonders of a single tone and volume knob yet.

I know many of you here are PRS fans. I know nothing of them other than you tube. So, I am looking for input please.

Do you see any “big” difference between the Indonesian and Korean built models with fit and finish and play-ability issues?

Anyone have impressions of the 85/15s pickups?

Do the PRS Indonesian and Korean guitars wear all that "odd sized" hardware? ( metric almost equivalents)

I have been looking at either hollowbody, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEHBSFRB--prs-se-hollowbody-standard-fire-red-burst a semi- hollow

or a Mira. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEMiraBK--prs-se-mira-black

or even a https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SECU22SHGBV8--prs-se-custom-22-semi-hollow-gray-black

I don't think the “hollowbody” is a tone issue for me, from what I can tell they all sound good. I think the solid body Mira might have more of the dbl coil tone thickness than a hollow, -er body?

And, there are plenty of days when I wonder if I really get that much getting a dbl coil anyway. I have my telecasters and fine acoustics, just spoiled rotten.

Anyone have any other suggestion for a light, dbl coil, that plays well, sounds good, and won't break the bank?

Any general feedback is appreciated for sure.

Last edited:

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
First off, my limited understanding is that materials between the models, made here and overseas are all pretty high quality. Of course you're going to get things that are upgrades on the US models, and they may be English vs. Metric equivalents (didn't know that, but okay). I think you really need to think price point, and the added features are really niceties.

That said, I'd look at used via Reverb rather than paying for a new guitar, especially if you're getting your feet wet, so to speak.

Also, if I were going to get a hollowbody or semi, I'd be taking a serious look at the newly released Hollowbody II with the Piezo bridge pickup, it's an SE model, $1,549 shipped seems to be a fairly common price (newly released, so it doesn't look like there are any used in the wild yet). It's a little more than the ones you were looking at, but the extra money would be worth it if you were looking to blend in some acoustic tones (the various online reviews and videos are fantastic).

I don't think you can go all that wrong with a PRS, especially if you like the humbucker feel. And most have the split coil option so you can still get some spanky tones, albeit not a close replica of a Fender. It's its own thing.

Overall, I feel like you can cover a lot of ground with some sweet sounds with a PRS.

My strats, tele, and Les Paul are jealous (but they are also bombtastic). I've been renewing my love affair with a sweet Warmoth Strat this last couple of weeks, but I still regularly pick up my PRS CU22

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm a fan of PRS and you've got some good options there, I have a Gibson SG Studio I got on a close out deal for about $1000 that is as light as my PRS Hollowbody, you might look at those used.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I have had my SE24 Santana for several years and have been very happy with it. It is very comfortable, looks and sounds great and I haven't changed a thing. I saw this review awhile ago that you might find interesting comparing a made in the US to a Korean built SE24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMMoptfwP4
I liked that comparison video.
I've heard many people say there's no difference between the American and SE builds.
The video pointed out some substantial differences.
Only the buyer can determine whether the vast price gap between them is justified but, It is obvious there is a difference that is much more then the production location.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Some day, I might own a PRS.
A while back I was hunting for a 335ish guitar and among the many I played, I will always remember the PRS single cut hollow body.
It was beautiful, played like a dream sounded so sweet and was only 5lbs.
That's one that got away! :cry:

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
zXWYceGpx5MPmtQNByQNCF-320-80.jpg

New PRS Snarling Tiger...$20k o_O:cool:

Elwood

Blues
This might work! I can take avatar shots of all my enablers supporters and make my lovely wife a nice dartboard. I could be the 10 ring with a guitar or two, and you guys can be the scoring segments.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Resisting temptation and being strong, for the moment.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
@Elwood, I am unapologetically a huge PRS fan. I have owned all the others, well most, including Strats, LP's, 325, and tried Epiphones and Hagstom and others. I very seriously doubt I will look at anything else should there ever be another NGD for me. Their fit, finish, play-ability and, of course, beauty just makes it hard for me to look at something else.

One consideration of the SE line is that even though they are made in Asia all guitars go to the US plant in Maryland before going to the dealer. It seems most manufacturers that have their most price conscious guitars manufactured in SE Asia have them shipped directly from there to the dealer. PRS ships them first to the home plant for a thorough QC inspection and then to the dealer. At least that is what I understand. There is a YT video on this but I was too lazy to search it out again.

I don't know much about the 85/15 pickups other than I've heard lots of raves about them over at the PRS forum. But then, of course you would there. My favorite is the TCI pickup, which is in my Paul's, and it seems PRS as a company is really moving toward that pickup as standard. But my Hollowbody and Santana have the SC HB and Santana pickup, respectively, and they are great. I'm not sure the difference between them and 85/15.

A "suggestion for a light, dbl coil, that plays well, sounds good, and won't break the bank?" means different things to different people. But I think @Zzzen Dog 's suggestion of the SE Hollowbody II with piezo is a good one. Especially if weight is important to you. It is to me! As he said, $1549. If you looked at the HB II without piezo there are a lot to choose from over at Reverb and they are running $999-$1,149. I've never played a piezo so I just don't know how much one would give up without it.

If weight isn't all that critical then you are obviously going to save a few pennies by going the Custom 22 route. I'm sorry, I know nothing about the Mira's.

Lastly, there is a serious knowledge resource over at the PRS Forum. Of course, they are the furthest possible thing from unbiased. But you will get a lot of intelligent responses to your questions.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
Where did the enablers go? Not a single one so far suggesting getting all three and then sort it out later? I gotta say though, all this PRS talk lately is slowly working on me. A semi-hollow? Yes, maybe.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues

matonanjin

Where did the enablers go? Not a single one so far suggesting getting all three and then sort it out later? I gotta say though, all this PRS talk lately is slowly working on me. A semi-hollow? Yes, maybe.
Sheeez! I didn't even notice that. That is disappointing! :(:rolleyes:

Elwood

Blues
Great responses!!! Thanks again!

@matonanjin, your passion for the PRS shows, appreciate it!
@dvs I could barely accept a tele thinline...(my bonehead, nothing more) I would need some more adjusting for one with 2 big fat hummers in there. I'm actually thinking something even a bit lighter that a thinline. The std SE hollowbody at 999 is my serious other temptation, besides pretty black miras for 495!!! Also, both have the 25" scale which I bet I would like just fine.
I'm having a hard time not jumping on a nice mira se for 495.

matonanjin

@Elwood , you're welcome> I hope it was helpful. I agree completely. A nice Mira for 495 is very hard to argue with. But.........if we want to confuse the issue. Which I do. If we can nudge you back up to that $1000 we were temporarily at, think about the Paul's. I'm pretty confident my Paul's will be my "desert island" guitar for a long time. PRS just very recently came out with the SE Version. It's not going to be as light, of course, as a Hollowbody. But you get the TCI pickups and coil tapping.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I liked that comparison video.
I've heard many people say there's no difference between the American and SE builds.
The video pointed out some substantial differences.
Only the buyer can determine whether the vast price gap between them is justified but, It is obvious there is a difference that is much more then the production location.

Maybe.

As good as Sweetwater is they are -- above all else -- a retailer.

And any retailer that sells both budget and "high-end" versions of a given product is of course going to tell prospective customers that that there are significant differences between the two.

Think about it, if they said that the budget guitars are just as good, then why on earth would anyone fork over thousands of dollars instead of hundreds.

If you can't actually play a particular guitar, there are myriad videos online made by ordinary people who are not selling anything and who are instead simply comparing or demonstrating various guitars. Find them and listen to them through a decent set of speakers and base your decision on what you hear rather than what some retailer tells you.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Ok so i love the 85/15s they are awesome. Almost as good to me as the gibson 57 classic plus sets ... yes that good.

I like the TCIs even better they are both a tad less shrill or more mellow on high strings.

If you are all sold on a hollowbody that has 85/15s it will be awesome.

Yeah SE model quality control seems very good i think Korean or Indonesian should not matter probably ...

Of course the schizoid man SE PRS is worth considering.

The SE santana new models are very fine but dont go single coil. The SE pauls guitar does and has TCIs and well it maybe should be your first choice i think mine is right about 7 pounds. But its not a hollow body ...

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Maybe.

As good as Sweetwater is they are -- above all else -- a retailer.

And any retailer that sells both budget and "high-end" versions of a given product is of course going to tell prospective customers that that there are significant differences between the two.

Think about it, if they said that the budget guitars are just as good, then why on earth would anyone fork over thousands of dollars instead of hundreds.

If you can't actually play a particular guitar, there are myriad videos online made by ordinary people who are not selling anything and who are instead simply comparing or demonstrating various guitars. Find them and listen to them through a decent set of speakers and base your decision on what you hear rather than what some retailer tells you.
JP,
Not sure what video you're referring to.
My comment was about the independent review that @Tayport posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMMoptfwP4

Last edited: