Spark PositiveGrid Amp

Stinger22

Blues Junior
So for you kids that have been waiting months and finally got em, was it worth the wait and aggravation?

When I ordered mine yesterday I had two thoughts; What the hell, it's only 224 bucks!! And two; I didn't care what the wait time was as long as I get it before the snow flies... My winter = guitar months... :)

I am I pleased and really enjoying it now...........................YES.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I am curious about how closely tied to the phone app is this unit. Can you change settings without the app? Are the amp models and FX models stored on the phone or are they downloaded from the internet as needed? Can you change settings (i.e., amp models or effects chain) without a data connection? Also, is everything included or are there "in-app" purchases you make to unlock certain things?

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I am curious about how closely tied to the phone app is this unit. Can you change settings without the app? Are the amp models and FX models stored on the phone or are they downloaded from the internet as needed? Can you change settings (i.e., amp models or effects chain) without a data connection? Also, is everything included or are there "in-app" purchases you make to unlock certain things?

You can use the amp without touching the app at all. There is a knob for amp type (Acoustic, Bass, Clean, Glassy, Hi Gain, etc), also gain, master, bass, middle, treble, output. There is a built in tuner that does not use the app. There are four preset buttons that you can use without touching the app. So if you want to keep to the basic options you can certainly use this amp without ever touching the app. However, I think by avoiding the app altogether, you are missing out on a lot of the features that make the amp worth having in the first place. You can do so much more with the app. It's nice to be able to just turn it on, turn a dial or two and get a great sound and start practicing, but you can do so much more with this and you can do the former with any other practice amp out there.

I'm not sure I can answer your question about where the amps and FX models are stored, as I am not a tech expert. If I had to guess, I would say they are stored on the cloud. I don't believe you can use the app for much without being connected to the internet. That also answers your next question.

The app is free to download even without purchasing the amp. Just go to the Positive Grid Spark website and download it. Not sure how useful it would be without the amp. Well, I guess you can still use the feature that allows you to play a backing track (from youtube or spotify) through the app. It listens to the track and tells you the chords.

Hope that answers all your questions. Feel free to ask any others you may have.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Was playing my Taylor through it tonight using the Pure Acoustic and Jumbo Acoustic amps and WOW. Now I have the Spark turned down so it mixes with the live. Gives me some reverb and delay and just a hair of reinforcement.

Stinger22

Blues Junior

You have four you can save to the amp, plus scroll through I 5 electric guitar amps a bass amp and acoustic amp right on the amp. You can play it stand alone and can customize how that is set up.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
I haven’t even got into the app part of it yet, and I’m pretty impressed. I am just a bedroom player and it is plenty loud for that. Right out of the box with everything at 0 it sounded good, and then I realized that was at the acoustic setting.
I didn’t really follow this topic early on because of all the negativity I suspect. Then when you guys started getting them and giving good reviews I bit. Can’t believe I got it this quick. Glad I didn’t miss on the discounted price and free shipping.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
So @MarkDyson I assume you still have your PG software from your Mini?

So some of the questions PG never answered initially, was regarding import export of amps.

So can you upload to the Tone cloud from your PC and download to Spark?

Can you customize tubes, guitar pickups and other settings including custom IRs. like you can with PG PC, or IOS?

Are there any benefits other than the backing track stuff and it's a self contained portable amp, as opposed to say IOS with a 3rd party pedal board. I think they still have not come out with MIDI integration on BFX2 for IOS?

Thanks for any insight, anyone can provide.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
So @MarkDyson I assume you still have your PG software from your Mini?

So some of the questions PG never answered initially, was regarding import export of amps.

So can you upload to the Tone cloud from your PC and download to Spark?

Can you customize tubes, guitar pickups and other settings including custom IRs. like you can with PG PC, or IOS?

Are there any benefits other than the backing track stuff and it's a self contained portable amp, as opposed to say IOS with a 3rd party pedal board. I think they still have not come out with MIDI integration on BFX2 for IOS?

Thanks for any insight, anyone can provide.

No PC right now just Android and OS. Maybe in the future, PG has not said.
Yes you can upload and download to Tone Cloud.
No you cannot customize amps just use the amp controls.

It's not portable as in playing outside at the park unless you got a power source. It is very TRANSportable, I was surprised at how small it is but don't let that fool you it sounds pretty big in my living room. And not boxy like small amps can get.

Depends on the benefits you're looking for. I'm a tube amp guy who wanted something smaller, more volume controllable for the living room rig. Don't need a million different patches. Three or four is all I need. The backing track integration works and yes actually has me "practicing" some instead of just playing HA! And it sounds phenomenal, I play clean to a little dirt/low gain and it's hard to get a good tone playing clean on these things but the Spark is most impressive.

For me I am seeing lots of benefits