Recording Studio 1 Version 5

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I guess I misread it. I thought ANYONE (first time buyer of v5 or v4 registered prior to the April date) buying Artist had to pay $99.95 regardless of any prior ownership of their products.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
You might want to wait on that, until what's in the manufacturing pipeline has been refreshed, or at least check with Presonus before making the purchase.

I picked up a second Presonus Studio LIve mixer after v4 came out. The mixer was brand new, but was the now discontinued SL AR12USB (got a really good deal on it). I went to the Presonus website, figuring I would get a S1 v4 copy of Artist, but upon registration it sent me to a d/l for V3, which was the one listed on the documentation that came with the mixer.

That's what I wondered about Doug's dilemma, but he was saying that if he waited to activate it, he'd get V5. Maybe I'll just wait a bit.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Upgraded from V3 to V4 Pro last year, no free upgrade to V5 for me.

I probably wouldn't know the difference, given I use about 10% of what it offers anyways.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Just watched Mitch Gallagher's S1 V5 overveiw.
Some cool stuff I like a whole latta stuff way beyond my needs.
Looks like $149 for an upgrade from my current V4, think I'll sit this one out fro a while.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Just watched Mitch Gallagher's S1 V5 overveiw.
Some cool stuff I like a whole latta stuff way beyond my needs.
Looks like $149 for an upgrade from my current V4, think I'll sit this one out fro a while.

That's odd. I just upgraded for $99.95

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
For v5 Pro?
Oh, I didn't see that he mentioned that. No it's for Artist. I'd never use it live so I can't see that I'd ever need Pro. I barely take advantage of the features in Artist (though I played around with creating a drum track after Griff's AAP session and I can see where, with a lot of learning in my part, it could work well).

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Oh, I didn't see that he mentioned that. No it's for Artist. I'd never use it live so I can't see that I'd ever need Pro. I barely take advantage of the features in Artist (though I played around with creating a drum track after Griff's AAP session and I can see where, with a lot of learning in my part, it could work well).
I probably don't need Pro either, but Presonus had a deal on it back in mid-April that was too good to pass up. Fortunately, I was within the grace period so I got the upgrade. I've been watching a bunch of tutorials by Johnny Geib, who runs a YT channel called Home Studio Trainer. He seems to hit on a lot of points I'm interested in. His videos (not counting his livestreams) are short and to the point.

Creating drum tracks appears to be improving my counting ability, very quickly. Presonus doesn't have a monopoly on this, as every other drum MIDI authoring tool has it, too. Setting the quantize intervals readjusts the timeline, giving a graphic indication of what goes on between the beats. Even if you don't actually quantize the drums, it provides a lot of insight in proper sub-dividing the beats.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I can't recall why I went pro, I'm thinking it was to get the mastering suite.
I'm just reluctant to upgrade to V5 because, I'm just settling in to V4.
The Effects plugins offer more but look a lot different, I really don't need more distractions, I'm already scatterbrained.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
That's odd. I just upgraded for $99.95

Isn't it $49.95 for an upgrade?

On a separate note, I sent an email asking if I bought the Studio 24c (that comes with Artist), would I get version 5. Looks like the old USB interface was tied to version 3, but there's no version mentioned for the 24c.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I probably don't need Pro either, but Presonus had a deal on it back in mid-April that was too good to pass up. Fortunately, I was within the grace period so I got the upgrade. I've been watching a bunch of tutorials by Johnny Geib, who runs a YT channel called Home Studio Trainer. He seems to hit on a lot of points I'm interested in. His videos (not counting his livestreams) are short and to the point.

Creating drum tracks appears to be improving my counting ability, very quickly. Presonus doesn't have a monopoly on this, as every other drum MIDI authoring tool has it, too. Setting the quantize intervals readjusts the timeline, giving a graphic indication of what goes on between the beats. Even if you don't actually quantize the drums, it provides a lot of insight in proper sub-dividing the beats.

I started watching a couple of the HST videos too (maybe from an earlier recommendation from you???) Good stuff.

Elwood

Blues
I'll be trying to see if this is of interest to me as well. I just sprung for a Presonus 68c digital interface. I was looking for more I/O than my Mackie 1-2 and that looked like a logical step up. So now I will have access to their Studio 1.I will certainly download the freebee.
I fumble and bumble in Reaper but I suppose I have nothing to lose for looking.
Do any of you feel that studio 1 has some distinct advantage over other DAWs such as Reaper? If it is a matter of standardizing for transmitting or marketing your work, that's just not a factor over here.
Good info in this thread regardless!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Do any of you feel that studio 1 has some distinct advantage over other DAWs such as Reaper? If it is a matter of standardizing for transmitting or marketing your work, that's just not a factor over here.
Good info in this thread regardless!
If you're basically not using it for anything other than home recording, use the one you're most comfortable with.

My main reason for moving to Studio One several months ago is largely because Griff uses it and we see it frequently in the All Access Pass webinars.
I also wanted to explore a feature that wasn't present in the version of Cubase I was using (Elements 10.5). The cost to upgrade to Cubase Pro to get that feature was a bit more than I could justify. Then I realized I had a license for Studio One Artist (which also did not have the feature) and at the time Presonus was having a sale on Studio One. I got the upgrade to S1 Pro for a couple hundred dollars less than the Cubase upgrade would have been. It also looks like several other forum members are using S1, which in my opinion is a big plus. With the release of version 5, I'm thinking about putting together a quick tutorial video specifically for BGU members on setting up and getting started on basic recording. The VJR is a great place (as you know) and I think if a step-by-step setup can be put in place, along with enough critical mass of users to be able to offer help to othe members, we might just increase the ranks of VJR contributors. I don't know if this will actually happen. A couple of support people with Presonus have told me that they will offer Studio One Prime in Version 5 within the next couple of months, so anyone will be able to get it and use it for free, no strings attached.

Elwood

Blues
I hate feeling like I'm always the dim bulb on the tree. It sounds like you have some good, fun reasons causing you to explore this, I will stick my toe in the water and see if they are biting. ("Thag, paging Thag to the space shuttle...paging Thag") I hear 'em calling now. :)

Hey, even if I don't use S1, I still get a bunch of plug ins with my purchase.

Question just popped up, heading to appropriate section....

EJG

Central NJ
I purchased and registered a PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 a few weeks ago. It came with a free version of Studio 4, so I'm not eligible for a free upgrade to version 5. I could get four months of Sphere for free, but I doubt I'll use it enough to bother.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
What kind of a deal did you get, Mike? Where did you find it?

It was a one-off. A guy that bought it, then released he was getting a free copy with some hardware he ordered. So I got it for $70.

Reactions: dvs