Which courses cover inversions?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Can't think of any course off the top of my head where he has a complete lesson on inversions.

I know there's a few places in some courses where the topic does come up, though.

I'll check through "the library".

He does cover them in an "old" AAP Technique Session dated 1-4-19.

And in the following link using A7:

https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/more-little-chords-inversions/

And, of course, this next one from yesterday's email/blog post using G7 (originally posted on an earlier date), which I assume is the reason you're asking.:sneaky:

https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/using-chord-inversions-for-solos/

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Not a course on chord inversions but:

"page 48 of ABGU, Lesson 10 - Little Chord Shapes"

they are movable and based on inversions. At least for 7ths, these are useful. Run 'em to a metronome if you thing they are too easy. If you were right you can use them for turnarounds, endings, chasing the melody, all the good stuff. These "little chords" are awesome!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Here's a few courses I know he discusses inversions in, but the above blog post links may provide a more complete lesson.

1) Theory Made Useful - Lesson 8: Slash Chords and Inversions
2) Five Easy Blues Solos - Solo #5
3) Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed - I know he uses some "little chord" inversions in some songs, but can't tell you which ones off hand.

Make that Lesson 10 in ABGU as @Elwood says above. Note they are the same shapes as in Griff's blog regarding A7, with the addition of the same shapes in E7 and B7 inversions, i.e. they are moveable.

Again, I haven't gone back and listened to each one of these sources (like I usually would) so I can't say which one would give you the most complete story.

If you still have any questions, feel free to ask.:)

Last edited:

Greg_in_Seattle

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the help. I have worked on intervals from past emails from Griff. I just couldn't remember if he covered in depth in other courses. Maybe Griff might consider a making a full course.
Thanks again
Greg

Last edited:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
It would be a small course :LOL: (sorry, I thought about little chords, pardon the pun)

Two approaches to inversions. Learn the shapes or learn to build chords on the fretboard.

If you just want to learn the shapes it is pretty easy to learn in groups of 3 strings. The B string, as usual :rolleyes:, keeps it from being extremely simple.

If you want to learn to build chords then learning the notes on the fretboard will be handy. And learning interval relationships is even handier. Theory helps too.

Griff used to sell a course by Bob Murnahan called "Triad Power: Blues edition" but it is no longer in his course catalog (that I can see). He taught the shapes for the triads and how to use them rhythmically and in solos, but only the triads. Adding the 7ths were an exercise you'd do for yourself. Again not difficult but requires some modicum of effort.

Since Bob and his courses seem to have disappeared from the face of the earth Griff might want to take your suggestion and make a course or a seminar. Inversions sound mysterious but on the guitar it just means playing the same chord tones on different parts of the fretboard rotating which chord tone is the lowest note. It sounds harder than it is. But like everything music related if you are not versed in the fundamentals everything is mysterious.

Eric

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
It would be a small course :LOL: (sorry, I thought about little chords, pardon the pun)

Two approaches to inversions. Learn the shapes or learn to build chords on the fretboard.

If you just want to learn the shapes it is pretty easy to learn in groups of 3 strings. The B string, as usual :rolleyes:, keeps it from being extremely simple.

If you want to learn to build chords then learning the notes on the fretboard will be handy. And learning interval relationships is even handier. Theory helps too.

Griff used to sell a course by Bob Murnahan called "Triad Power: Blues edition" but it is no longer in his course catalog (that I can see). He taught the shapes for the triads and how to use them rhythmically and in solos, but only the triads. Adding the 7ths were an exercise you'd do for yourself. Again not difficult but requires some modicum of effort.

Since Bob and his courses seem to have disappeared from the face of the earth Griff might want to take your suggestion and make a course or a seminar. Inversions sound mysterious but on the guitar it just means playing the same chord tones on different parts of the fretboard rotating which chord tone is the lowest note. It sounds harder than it is. But like everything music related if you are not versed in the fundamentals everything is mysterious.

Eric
I wish he would, I have a hard time tolerating Bob's teaching style, and I own that course

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I wish he would, I have a hard time tolerating Bob's teaching style, and I own that course
I love Bob's style. His business model, not so much :)

I have all his courses, attended his webinars back in 2012 and 2013 and I took email lessons from Bob for a year after buying his Pentatonic Power ebook.

But, not everyone's teaching style is suited to all students, I understand that.

Eric

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I love Bob's style. His business model, not so much :)

I have all his courses, attended his webinars back in 2012 and 2013 and I took email lessons from Bob for a year after buying his Pentatonic Power ebook.

But, not everyone's teaching style is suited to all students, I understand that.

Eric
That slow dry monotone delivery just puts me to sleep

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I guess I've never noticed. That course in particular isn't meant to be watched from beginning to end. The manual says the pieces are grab and go and you don't have to do it in order. Grab what you like and come back later if you want another piece. It has great content.
Anyway, it doesn't seem to be available anymore anyhow :)
Eric

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Ah, go on, do it, you know you want to :)

If it takes you to Griff's eCommerce webstore then it might still be there but it isn't in the BGU catalog anymore. If it takes you to Zaxaa beware, Bob stopped paying his bill there a while ago. If I hadn't downloaded all my courses at the time I bought them I wouldn't be able to access them.

Zaxaa will refund your money but I've heard they'll use it for 30 days before issuing the refund.

Eric

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hmmm.......

http://bluestriadpower.com/get-triad-power-blues-edition/

I can put it in my Shopping Cart and it will show up on Griff's site, but I'm not willing to see what would happen if I tried to pay for it.:sneaky:
Honestly, I haven't talked to Bob in several months. I took that course out of the course catalog because I can't include it with the AAP and I only have a digital version. That being said, if you purchase it, the transaction should go through and you should get access to the course. No one has bought it in forever, so if there's a problem let me know.

To @Greg_in_Seattle, whenever someone asks me about inversions, it's kind of like when they ask me about CAGED. I first ask why? What do you want to do with the inversions? No one ever hears something and goes, "Wow, I want to learn inversions!" That doesn't make sense... so what sound is it that you're looking to achieve? There may be a more efficient way to get there.