Ghost Riders (Stan Jones)

Elwood

Blues
NOT BLUES - unless he doesn't change his ways, and then....

My first foray in the world of EZdrummer2. I was hoping ya'll would let me get away with a simple boom-chukka, kick off yer boots, standard.

This has always been one of my favorite tunes, guess I'm just corny. The whole thing about this guy taking a break and seeing things in the clouds... As you may guess I made up the intro-bridge-extro interlude- guilty as charged.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/38cbo20ashil529/ghost riders in the sky.mp3?dl=0

My Taylor slothead with bare fingers (you think I'm tripping over the strings now, I'm still finding my way with the picks), EZ drummer, and one other "secret item" my new Sennheiser e845s mic. The 845 seems very nice so far. I used it for voice. I still used my MXL-990 for one side of the Taylor slothead, (the condenser mic has the highs), I used the Taylor es-2 electronics for the other guitar channel.
EZdrummer2 has been a major distraction!!!o_O

Hey, if it was good enough for Jake, it's good enough for ______! Maybe you'll tap a foot or something...:whistle:

Last edited:

artyman

Fareham UK
What many of you may not know is that it was originally an old Scottish Folk Song misappropriated by some US colonial back in 1948. So to set the record straight here is a rendition of the original. We are of course indebted to Nicola Sturgeon of SNP for researching this long lost piece of Scottish Heritage. :D

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Brilliant Elwood.(y) Some nice picking going on right there, and I see you've gotten to grips with EZ Drummer. Well done.(y)(y)

Elwood

Blues
Thanks guys!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: I don't know about all that stuff, but I'm having fun with the new toys. :Beer: I think EZdrummer is making me learn a bit more Reaper stuff, but it is more fun now somehow.

This tune, I had to look up the words but this is one of those that I like to get out of memory. I figure I know how it goes and if I don't listen to anyone else, maybe it won't end up sounding just the same as theirs. After I had it roughed out I was walking the dogs and I realized that little simple intro I threw in there has some similarities to the segment from Rawhide that the Blues Brothers used in their arrangement. I guess it's all new, again, right? You get "clever" and try to make something up and still get that "deja vu" feeling. Ha!

misappropriated by some US colonial back in 1948.
Fun video Arty! I always try to credit the originator of a tune that I mangle. Google to Wikipedia got me this..interesting how some tales pop up across time and cultural changes. I can't believe all the folks who have done this tune, and they didn't even mention Jake!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The song tells a folk tale of a cowboy who has a vision of red-eyed, steel-hooved cattle thundering across the sky, being chased by the spirits of damned cowboys. One warns him that if he does not change his ways, he will be doomed to join them, forever "trying to catch the Devil's herd across these endless skies". The story has been linked with old European myths of the Wild Hunt, in which a supernatural group of hunters passes the narrator in wild pursuit.[4]

Stan Jones stated that he had been told the story when he was 12 years old by an old Native American who resided north-east of the Douglas, Arizona border town, a few miles behind D Hill, north of Agua Prieta, Sonora. The Native Americans, possibly Apache, who lived within Cochise County, believed that when souls vacate their physical bodies, they reside as spirits in the sky, resembling ghost riders. He related this story to Wayne Hester, a boyhood friend (later owner of the Douglas Cable Company). As both boys were looking at the clouds, Stan shared what the old Native American had told him, looking in amazement as the cloudy shapes were identified as the "ghost riders" that years later, would be transposed into lyrics.[1] The melody is based on the song "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".[5]

More than 50 performers have recorded versions of the song. Charting versions were recorded by The Outlaws, Vaughn Monroe ("Riders in the Sky" with orchestra and vocal quartet), which topped the Billboard magazine charts, by Bing Crosby (with the Ken Darby Singers), Frankie Laine, Burl Ives (two different versions), Marty Robbins, The Ramrods and Johnny Cash. Other recordings were made by Eddy Arnold, Peggy Lee (with the Jud Conlon Singers), Christopher Lee, and Spike Jones and his City Slickers. Gene Autry sang it in the 1949 movie, Riders in the Sky. Jones recorded it for his 1957 album Creakin' Leather.[6] Children of Bodom, Impaled Nazarene, and Die Apokalyptischen Reiter have also made covers. The Tucson Arizona Boys Chorus sing the song dressed in cowboy attire and performing rope tricks.[7]

Recordings[edit]
1948[edit]
  • The original version by Stan Jones was recorded in late 1948 or early 1949. A recording by Stan Jones and his Death Valley Rangers issued on Mercury 5320 in May 1949.[8] Fellow songwriter Eden Ahbez sent the song to Burl Ives, who recorded his own version in early 1949.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Super job and it sounds awesome... congrats on the new toys, it seems you are making good use of them!!!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Pretty darn cool....you did it good :thumbup: The instrumental version was one of the 1st songs I learned how to play way back in the 50s.

Last edited: