Zoom Q2n- HELP !!

artyman

Fareham UK
I bought one of these camera recorders a few days ago, I am so frustrated with it, frankly it seems to be a heap of junk. I have a weekly Zoom (the other Zoom) online chat with some guitar buddies and tried it as a Webcam. I eventually managed to get that to work but it seems it needs very specific settings.

On it's initial testing I couldn't get the files to run when downloaded in Windows 10, it says file format not recognized, neither will the MOV files load into my Video editing software. I installed there Handy Share Software to see if the files played in that which it did, however there are sync problems. I saved a copy of the file and tried again with my usual editing software. The audio element of the file seems to run considerably faster than the visual element and just is not in sync

If anyone has one of these devices perhaps they could share their experience and advice, else this will be going back.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I haven't tried the Zoom Q2n as a webcam, so no advice for you there.

MOV files from the Zoom cam will play in VLC and in the more recent versions of the Windows 10 Movies & TV app. They are not friendly with WIndows Media Player, but I don't use that (I got angry with it many years ago, and I guess I'm still holding a grudge...). This combination has worked for us. I bring the files into Filmora for editing and have had no issues there. Haven't tried a lot of other video editors. I do recall trying one or two that wouldn't load the MOV files edit: wouldn't play MOV files with sound, but I can't remember which ones.

Since Apple has abandoned Quicktime support for Windows, and MOV is a proprietary format of Apple, there remain some issues. Unfortunately, the Zoom camera only saves video in that format.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I bought one of these camera recorders a few days ago, I am so frustrated with it, frankly it seems to be a heap of junk. I have a weekly Zoom (the other Zoom) online chat with some guitar buddies and tried it as a Webcam. I eventually managed to get that to work but it seems it needs very specific settings.

On it's initial testing I couldn't get the files to run when downloaded in Windows 10, it says file format not recognized, neither will the MOV files load into my Video editing software. I installed there Handy Share Software to see if the files played in that which it did, however there are sync problems. I saved a copy of the file and tried again with my usual editing software. The audio element of the file seems to run considerably faster than the visual element and just is not in sync

If anyone has one of these devices perhaps they could share their experience and advice, else this will be going back.

I don't have a Q2n, but I checked on my Q8, which also saves videos as MOV files. My results differ from what Doug (@dvs) experienced. I can play my videos directly from the cam on either Windows Media Player or the Movies and TV app. I also have VLC installed, which if I remember installs some additional shared codecs. To muddy the issue, I also have Magix Movie Studio installed on my computer, which will accept and edit MOV files without issue. I don't have Zoom's Handy Share software installed on my computer. I found it to be less than compelling.

Having said all that...
How are you recording? Which of the video and audio settings are you using? 1080 or 720? Also, which setting are you using for HDMI output? NTSC or PAL?
Does the recording audio/video start in sync and move out of sync or does the video start out of sync?
I checked in Google and it seems most of the complaints about out of sync audio and video come from the UK. This leads me to wonder if the audio is coded to sync with the frame rate. If your HDMI port is set to PAL, the frame rate for video is 25hz and not the 30hz used in NTSC. I can't imagine Zoom wouldn't have addressed that issue already, but if your HDMI out is set to PAL, you might try changing it to NTSC and see if that resolves your issue. If you're only using the video in your computer, the HDMI setting will make no difference... It will matter only if you're using the HDMI output to feed a television set.

Lastly, I just want to make sure your cam is a Q2n and not the newer Q2n-4k. If you have the Q2n-4k, make sure you are not recording in the 4k modes (3840x2160 cinema or video modes) and in either 1080 or 720.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I checked in Google and it seems most of the complaints about out of sync audio and video come from the UK. This leads me to wonder if the audio is coded to sync with the frame rate. If your HDMI port is set to PAL, the frame rate for video is 25hz and not the 30hz used in NTSC. I can't imagine Zoom wouldn't have addressed that issue already, but if your HDMI out is set to PAL, you might try changing it to NTSC and see if that resolves your issue. If you're only using the video in your computer, the HDMI setting will make no difference... It will matter only if you're using the HDMI output to feed a television set.

This sounds likely. I have a Zoom Q2n that I've used for many BGU events. Never had an issue with sync or playback with any of the video settings. The only issues I have with it are the video quality is not great (something the 4K version doesn't fix) and you have to be careful with the USB jack as it will break free from its circuit board (as mine recently did).

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I don't have a Q2n, but I checked on my Q8, which also saves videos as MOV files. My results differ from what Doug (@dvs) experienced. I can play my videos directly from the cam on either Windows Media Player or the Movies and TV app. I also have VLC installed, which if I remember installs some additional shared codecs. To muddy the issue, I also have Magix Movie Studio installed on my computer, which will accept and edit MOV files without issue. I don't have Zoom's Handy Share software installed on my computer. I found it to be less than compelling.

Having said all that...
How are you recording? Which of the video and audio settings are you using? 1080 or 720? Also, which setting are you using for HDMI output? NTSC or PAL?
Does the recording audio/video start in sync and move out of sync or does the video start out of sync?

Lastly, I just want to make sure your cam is a Q2n and not the newer Q2n-4k. If you have the Q2n-4k, make sure you are not recording in the 4k modes (3840x2160 cinema or video modes) and in either 1080 or 720.
Lloyd;

You just reminded me of one of my accomplishments in my professional career, as an electronics engineer while working for AMPEX Corporation. I wrote, what became the international television standards for the United Nations CCIR. NTSC, PAL-M SECAM, PAL-M, etc. The good old days! :)

The French used SECAM, along with the Russians. The French did not want to become "influenced by the British", by using the same television standard. What would happen to the French, if they were watching British television programs? Woops! :eek: I hope that my question is not too political! :)

Tom

artyman

Fareham UK
Thanks for the input, I have been investigating a work round. The files load and play in the Zoom Handy Share app, so I've loaded the files into that and saved them both as a MOV file ( the only option) and the audio side as a WAV file. Changing the extension of this new MOV file to MP4 enables it to be loaded into my video editing software, (Serif Movieplus6) I then mute the audio side of the MP4 file and replace it with the WAV file. This then works and I can edit it and save as a new MP4 file which works fine. A bit convoluted but at least I can use the video from the camera now.

I have VLC and yes it loads the original files, I hadn't though to try that. I've just loaded a MOV file from the camera and used VLC to convert it to an MP4 which it is doing as I type, I'll check in a moment...... Just loaded the MP4 from VLC into my video editing software and it's all looking good, so just dropping files into VLC and converting will make life a bit easier.

Strangely the VLC converted file runs in both the old Windows Media Player and the new TV thingy but neither have any sound, indicated perhaps by there being no waveform showing in my editing software even though it does play the sound, most strange. So the end result is I can edit my video from the camera albeit in a roundabout way.

Computers can be so frustrating at times :confused:

Last edited:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Although they are ok, if not compared side by side, I've never found Zoom products to be that great. They are fine for what they are. I have hand held video cameras by JVC that easily out perform Zoom in side by side tests for both video and audio quality. And the JVC's actually cost less.

I use software from Cyberlink called PowerDirector and it handles all the video formats I've ever thrown at it perfectly. Even 360 degree video and 8k. I don't recommend it though because I paid $79 for it as a perpetual license but they've gone to the subscription model for their latest version and I don't support subscription models for software, or, training for that matter. It's a reason I still use Adobe Creative Suite instead of "upgrading" to Creative Cloud. I don't like the subscription model. (sorry, rant over)

Also, sorry to hear about the hoops you're jumping through. Video should be easy. :rolleyes:

Eric