Annual bump

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Well I'm going though what appears to happen to me annually. I'm getting bumped off of the forum and have to log back in if I haven't navigated on the forum for maybe a 1/2 hour......... Please get well soon........

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I love high tech! Internet, and all the rest. What browser do you use? What do you use for Internet Security: Like Norton or...? What operating system?

What a pain!

Tom

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Well I'm going though what appears to happen to me annually. I'm getting bumped off of the forum and have to log back in if I haven't navigated on the forum for maybe a 1/2 hour......... Please get well soon........

i just went through the same thing just a while back. I never changed anything to cause it and I never did anything to fix it ( I couldn’t find any cause or cure). It stopped happening a couple of weeks ago and, knock on wood, it won’t happen again. Now it is back to how it has been the last 9+ years. If I don’t sign in on another device, I stay logged in on my phone. I feel your pain. Hopefully it corrects itself for you soon (what a pain in the backside!).

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
i just went through the same thing just a while back. I never changed anything to cause it and I never did anything to fix it ( I couldn’t find any cause or cure). It stopped happening a couple of weeks ago and, knock on wood, it won’t happen again. Now it is back to how it has been the last 9+ years. If I don’t sign in on another device, I stay logged in on my phone. I feel your pain. Hopefully it corrects itself for you soon (what a pain in the backside!).
This happens every year for me. :(

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Your lucky. After a “few,” I’ll pass out mid-sentence and leave my BGU connection up all night...very embarrassing!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
2 weeks later........... still getting bumped off in 30 minutes...... This is getting really ridiculous. I waited at least a week before I started this thread. So it's been at least 3 weeks. Before I could shut off the computer and reboot everything and be back on without having to log in. Now I have to log in every time I want to check in.........

I'm using Google Chrome.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I was able to find out why I can't seem to fix this...

According to some much smarter people than me, there is a cron job that runs every hour and cleans up the sessions table in the database. If you have just been sitting for a while, you get cleaned up when that job runs.

At this point, there's no way around it. There is a newer version of the forum software, but I haven't seen anything to indicate this has changed.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

According to some much smarter people than me, there is a cron job that runs every hour and cleans up the sessions table in the database. If you have just been sitting for a while, you get cleaned up when that job runs.

At this point, there's no way around it. There is a newer version of the forum software, but I haven't seen anything to indicate this has changed.

I'm surprised that the frequency of the cron job isn't a parameter (Though from the posts I've read, any "Auto Log Off" time frame will be a problem for some)

I have my Norton auto fill my id & password, so it's two clicks for me. No big deal.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!

Bummer

So I guess it wasn't something that I wrote.......

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm surprised that the frequency of the cron job isn't a parameter (Though from the posts I've read, any "Auto Log Off" time frame will be a problem for some)

I have my Norton auto fill my id & password, so it's two clicks for me. No big deal.
If it runs like some of the stuff I used to maintain for my company, cron jobs can be made to run at any interval. Having said that, there is merit to having an hourly cron to clear inactive sessions. It keeps the number of active processor threads down and (usually) keeps the application from slowing down.

I allowed Google Chrome to archive my password, so likewise I'm in with two clicks.
Then again, I log out whenever I leave the forum, so it has never been an issue for me.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I used Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) for many years. Recently, Microsoft has been advising users to avoid IE, so I switched to Microsoft Edge. I had to log onto this forum once, and that was about three weeks ago. So you might try Microsoft Edge, and see what happens.

Tom

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
If it runs like some of the stuff I used to maintain for my company, cron jobs can be made to run at any interval. Having said that, there is merit to having an hourly cron to clear inactive sessions. It keeps the number of active processor threads down and (usually) keeps the application from slowing down.

I allowed Google Chrome to archive my password, so likewise I'm in with two clicks.
Then again, I log out whenever I leave the forum, so it has never been an issue for me.
I investigated that, some folks on the xenforo forum asked about simply disabling that cron job, but it does more things than just the session cleanup so I don't think I should stop it.