Finally ditching the thinner picks

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Doesn't Billy Gibbons play with really light gauge strings... like 8s I think! That is surprising enough I think but then to use such heavy picks on such light string, is amazing! I break 9s with a more nornal 1.5 pick
9's feel like spaghetti noodles to me, I can't imagine playing 8's

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
I play rhythm and am not into solos. Anything thicker that paper does not get used. YMMV

Steve
Yep. I use .60 Fender nylons, and have thought about trying the .46. Every time I've tried thicker picks, I feel like they're getting caught up in the strings.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
ya all got it wrong, back when I was showing Eddie V some stuff, and truthfully, I was irritated because he kept bringing this loud mouthed David guy with him while I was trying to get satchmo some flair in his licks along with his buddy Joe B................I finally said look Eddie, if you ever want to be on par with CC Deville as one of the greatest guitar players of all time, you gotta stop this tapping the guitar with your finger thing, it just aint healthy and no one wants to listen to it.
So finally, I broke down and gave him the gift, it was passed down to me by the Great Angus Young, who ha it handmade by pochohauntus fathers uncles nephew who owned a CNC shop..................I guess he had some run in with a demon from the underworld and kicked one of his teeth in or something and made a guitar pick out of it

So here it is, the last and greatest pick you will ever need, The POD = Pick of Destiny

And since i have one extra, you can have it for $29.99.............but wait, it also comes with a free autographed picture of David Hasselhoffs cousin, with no shirt on........yeahhhhhhhhhhh.................and a coupon for 20% off at Harbor Freight tools and a 3 day free trial to Guitar Zoom, total $9000 deal, all yours for $29.99

pic.jpg

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Every time the pick debate comes up it reminds me of a line from "The Karate Kid" when Daniel asks Mr. Miyagi what kind of belt he has.

Mr. Miyagi replies, "Canvas... J.C. Penny... three ninety-nine".

I'm pretty much the same way with picks; I need one to play, they're about $3.99 per dozen and I get a dozen mediums ,a dozen heavies and I'm good to go.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
It is not a debate ha ha use what you want to right?

For me it takes more precision and control using a thicker pick. For me i can get a little sloppy using thinner picks. For me it was time to move up some ... and clean up some bad habits maybe?

I tend to think most guitar players migrate to heavier picks over time but its not universal.

Im not generalizing to acoustics i have no experience with them thats recent.

aleclee

Tribe of One
For me, going to thick(er) picks was informative. My picking precision improved considerably...because it had to. :LOL: Though I don't use them at this point, V-Picks taught me that rounded triangular picks are the most comfortable shape for me (not to mention three times the wear :)).

At the end of the day, use whatever feels good in your hand and gives you the sound you'd like. The trick is finding your pick happy place but like they say, it's the journey, not the destination.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
It is not a debate ha ha use what you want to right?

For me it takes more precision and control using a thicker pick. For me i can get a little sloppy using thinner picks. For me it was time to move up some ... and clean up some bad habits maybe?

I tend to think most guitar players migrate to heavier picks over time but its not universal.

Im not generalizing to acoustics i have no experience with them thats recent.

Actually, and I am 1000% a believer when I wasn't before. But I sat with an acoustic, then an electric, 20 different kinds of picks, from $3.99 for 100 of them to ones that were $6 a piece.And I swear to all the guitar gods, different picks do make a different sound. It was only by going one extreme to another it became clear, then going to similar ones once I learned to hear the difference.

And its not just thicker vs thinner, the different materials also make a real honest sound change......................as far as control, I hated them at first, but, as I am trying faster licks now, I have moved to a more pointy pick that lets me dig in

straightblues

Blues Junior
I played an acoustic show tonight, which I don't do often. I usually use a thinner pick with an acoustic. But I really missed my thicker pick. I was un'mic and was needing to pick hard for volume. The thin pick didn't stand up.