Finally ditching the thinner picks

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I was too comfortable for way too long with thin picks. I think this is something that most guitar players migrate off thin picks pretty quickly but that was not the case for me.

I became way too in love with pick world mojo pick thins ... they have a very nice rubber holder around the pick. To me they are not ultra thin but still not very resistant.

I am not ever ha ha not using the mojo pick holders they are now part of my world. But I have disavowed the thins and gone over to a medium and now thick one variety. The thick one is just 1 mm I know there a bunch of people out there using like 1.5 maybe 2s out there right?

But for me I think its a good change and way overdue probably. Just need to stick with the thick and sometimes medium one every once in a while for next 3 months I don't think you go back after that right?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
If there wasn't a wide variation of preference, there would only be one pick size. I've settled in on Dunlop Gator Grip 1.14mm picks. Lately, I've been playing one of the last original F-Holes throwaway picks that @obsidianskies, @FrankL and I had made for one of the BGU Live events in Corona and a few swag picks from BGU Live events. You might say, "I'm not picky." Or you might not...

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I'm an odd ball in this crowd ... I am consistent. :):whistle:
For decades I have been lured to try other picks by others, only, every time, to quickly return to my tried and true old friends, plain ol' Fender Heavy.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
For years, I just used whatever I could find. Then I switched to Fender California Clear Mediums. I used them for years. But I always had trouble hanging on to them while I played. Then I started hanging out here with the BGU crowd and switched to 1.5. Found the Dunlop Gator Grips, and was actually able to hang on to those. Used those for probably 5 or 6 years. Then I switched on a whim to whatever Gator Grip was closest to that .7 size (.74 I think), and stuck with those for at least a couple of years. Through all of those picks, I used the standard size pick, and I played with the side of it instead of the point.

Then last year, I was given one of those little jazz-size picks, and loved the size of it. Sounds weird, but it also felt less clumsy playing with the point of it instead of the side of a regular sized pick. So I found some (I forget what brand) that was in that .7-ish size, and started using them. Around the holidays last year, I was given some Pickboy J100 picks. They're that jazz size pick at 1.0. They're sticky enough that I don't drop them. Nowadays, I alternate between the Pickboy and the jazz-size .7-ish picks that I bought last year. I like the feel and ease of holding the Pickboy, but I like the little bit of additional flexibility that the .7-ish gives.

Ponied up and tried the V-picks and hated them. The only reason I got them is because I got them at a guitar show where they had a special going for 3 for $25. Someday I would like to try a Blue Chip Pick, but, at $30 or $40 a pick, I'm too cheap to actually pay for one of those. The Pickboys end up coming out to about $1 a piece, and that's really pushing it for me when I can get a 12-pack of Gator Grips for just over $3.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I liked the gator grips myself when i started playing and used fire years but they sound a little dull compared to the 2mm Stubbys and recently the jazz 3 XLs I use now.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've gravitated to these:
V pick 2.75mm as my first choice and Jazz IIIs 1.38mm as my second.
However, I do keep some very thin picks around for occasional use.
It's mostly a tone choice for me.

xmvephibrl0kabibet0n.jpg

tcn82m2tbpupoebioj19.jpg

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier

xmvephibrl0kabibet0n.jpg

tcn82m2tbpupoebioj19.jpg
I like the screamers okay, but prefer the small pointed which is like mini screamer

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I started with thins, currently use a medium on the acoustic, but thicker on the electric..............lately, I have been going to a more pointy pick, I find it harder to play fast on a rounder one

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind

xmvephibrl0kabibet0n.jpg

tcn82m2tbpupoebioj19.jpg

That's my jazz lll I use along with 2.o stubby

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have a collection of guitar strings and picks, dating back to 1952. My favorite guitar pick is from V Picks, and is used by Carlos Santana.

https://v-picks.com/shop/freakishly-large-round-ruby-red/

Carlos and I attended the same High School, Mission High, in San Francisco. I use this same pick for my Mandolin, Bass, Balalaika, Irish Tenor Banjo, and Irish Bouzouki. When I find something I like, I stay with it. Perhaps that is why Katy and I have been married for 54 years! :)

Tom

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Been using the same picks on all my guitars for years with no desire to change, the Dunlop Gator Grips .96mm. I'm just one of those folks that once I find something I like I tend to stay with it without clouding my head with "what if." Same with strings. Once I stopped chasing any certain tone, everything kind of fell into place. YMMV

FrankL

Mr. Bites Off More Than I Can Chew
I don't really have a preference as to the size and thickness or brands of picks because I've gotten used to using the freebies I've collected over the years. Heck I think if I had to I'd use the corner of a credit card. This pic shows that the only pick that hasn't had it's share of abuse in my hand is the one at the very bottom of the group. All of the rest have been properly abused.
BGUPicks.jpg

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I tend to favor a Jazz III style pick from Dava. Same size and thickness as the Jazz III, but with a rubber grip on it. I occasionally venture off and experiment with different styles, but always come back to those.

straightblues

Blues Junior
There are no rules. Use whatever you like. I do recommend trying out as many as you can find. If you are lucky, you might just find one that is perfect for you.