An exercise in guitar constipation.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
A couple years ago I got a collection of 20 guitar licks from my personal player idol, Gregor Hilden. I dearly love his playing. It is blues, but deeply rooted in jazz. Two or three years later I still can't play one of them for crap. It is like trying to fly the starship Entropy where no man has gone before. They just make my eyes cross and tie my fingers and timing in knots. So, since misery loves company, here you go.

And here is a link to the tab.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p3zp1c2n3jb6h9/GREGOR HILDEN LICKS.pdf?dl=0

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Never figured you for a jazzer RR! What the heck... I'm always up for a challenge.
Gregor doesn't play jazz, he plays blues. It is just jazz-influenced. His jazz is just a little salt and pepper on his steak. Those 20 licks are just nice doses of salt and pepper that can be mixed in to perk people up a bit.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I gfelt the same about shred licks I tried years ago, put them away, now I have come back to them and making some progress, another 3 years I will get them down

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I stumbled across a Gregor Hilden video a few years ago and really fell in love with his style. He does such a great job of packing a lot of emotion into surprisingly few notes. The jazz influence reminds me of Robben Ford, but Gregor takes it in a bit more of a blues direction. I would love to be able to play some of those well and will take a stab at them, although my hopes are not particularly high. A lot of them fall into that easier-said-than-done category. When you first hear them they don't sound that complicated, but expressing them the way he does is surprisingly harder than it looks.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
...are the first two built around A minor pentatonic?

@Doodlebug

Not #1 or #2 but possibly #3?

Upon first glance.....

The notation gives you a key signature and in the first measure shows you the chord he puts in his looper.

Lick #1 is over a C7/E chord and the notes appear to all be in C minor pentatonic with D & A added. (= C Dorian)

Lick #2 is over an Em9 arpeggio and the lick actually starts off with an Em9 arpeggio. All the rest of the notes are in E minor except the F.

However, Lick #3 is over an Am7 chord.

But he ain't playin' in "Boxes". ;)

Last edited: