Just a morning cup of coffee

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I get up everyday between 3:30---4:30 am---I make my pot of coffee then go out on the deck to watch the sunrise. Well this morning I did my daly ritual; sitting drinking coffee--This BIG OLE SKUNCK walked up my steps onto my deck---about 6' away---and stops---he looks right then left (I am on the right side) there is a entry/exit on both ends----and I'm like Oh CRAP what am I going to do. I was frozen--not even breathing---he turns around to the left and raises this big ole huge tail.. I'm like--- "up-oh here it comes--the big un". He stood there a couple seconds and walked down to the left side exit---as soon as he got out of a safe squirting range
I creeped over to the door and got inside and started flipping on light switches inside and out. (I heard they don't like light) I finished my coffee inside. That was way to close for comfort. :eek: if he had sprayed me or my house it would be reaking right now.for days. whuuuuh

Last edited:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
When I was in jr. high school, living out on the farm, I stepped out the back door one morning to head out to the school bus. I didn't even see it, but there was a skunk tucked right under the door threshold tight up against the house, and I startled it - it hit me with a glancing squirt on my boots. Nothing on my clothes or skin, but even that was not a pleasant experience.
You dodged a bullet Dave!!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Last December we were in San Francisco, at 48th Avenue (near the Beach), close to Golden Gate Park. I was inside our car, when a skunk strolled by. It crossed the street, and passed several people who did not even blink! Finally, the skunk made it to Golden Gate Park, and disappeared.

When I was 16 in the Boy Scouts, we were on a camping trip in Marin County. It was bed time so I headed for the Latrine before retiring. There was Mr. Skunk, at the threshold of the door. He was primed and ready for me, about 20 feet away. He let go with a shot and missed me. What a stream! :eek:

Tom

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Lucky man Dave:)

Last few years we've got an explosion of skunks around here.
Dog got zapped twice, what a stinking mess for weeks.
He don't like going out at night any more.....smart dog!

FYI: tomato juice........for get it(n)
Mix up hydrogen peroxide and baking soda with a few drops of Dawn dish soap.
I buy it by the quart and keep a good supply here, just in case.

Last edited:

Boysie

Just for fun
I get up everyday between 3:30---4:30 am---I make my pot of coffee then go out on the deck to watch the sunrise. Well this morning I did my daly ritual; sitting drinking coffee--This BIG OLE SKUNCK walked up my steps onto my deck---about 6' away---and stops---he looks right then left (I am on the right side) there is a entry/exit on both ends----and I'm like Oh CRAP what am I going to do. I was frozen--not even breathing---he turns around to the left and raises this big ole huge tail.. I'm like--- "up-oh here it comes--the big un". He stood there a couple seconds and walked down to the left side exit---as soon as he got out of a safe squirting range
I creeped over to the door and got inside and started flipping on light switches inside and out. (I heard they don't like light) I finished my coffee inside. That was way to close for comfort. :eek: if he had sprayed me or my house it would be reaking right now.for days. whuuuuh

What's a skunk? We only have to dodge deadly snakes and spiders around the house and out and about we also have to dodge the blue ringed octopus, box jellyfish, death adder, wild dogs and salt water crocodiles. We also have the most dangerous bird in the world, the cassowary.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
That dag gone skunk came back again this morning at almost the exact same time--I was a little paranoid of going out there---so I changed my chair position to where I could see down the steps a little better and closer to the door----sure enough here he comes 4:10 am.
I think I know what is going on----Sharon feeds the birds and leaves a big watering bowl out on our patio for them. We have not had a drop of rain for I don't know how long--but a long time----I think he is coming up here to get a drink...either way, I think I will have to change my daly routine. Bummer

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That dag gone skunk came back again this morning at almost the exact same time--I was a little paranoid of going out there---so I changed my chair position to where I could see down the steps a little better and closer to the door----sure enough here he comes 4:10 am.
I think I know what is going on----Sharon feeds the birds and leaves a big watering bowl out on our patio for them. We have not had a drop of rain for I don't know how long--but a long time----I think he is coming up here to get a drink...either way, I think I will have to change my daly routine. Bummer
Dave,
Lots of deer around here.
They all seem to be running across the highways where the deer crossing signs are.
Think that skunk can read?
Try a No Crossing sign on the deck ,

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
At least you can eat dead deer-----as for a skunk song here you go---"There's a dead skunk in the middle of the road---there's a dead skunk in the middle of the road--stinking to high heaven"----(Lowden Wainwright the 3rd)-he already beat me to it. I have actually seen turkey vultures ( classified a endangered species)----yeah right. I see them eating dead skunks in the middle of the road all the time no wonder they are endangered ...I can see his LADY BIRD saying "What in the hell did you have for lunch---I ain't sleeping with you get the hell out of my nest, go brush your beak..:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I remember having seen a few western movies where one of the actors wears a skunk hat. :eek: That may be a good form of "self defense"! :whistle: Keep away from me, you! :sick: That was Archie Bunker by the way. :)

Tom

Elwood

Blues
A while ago I was about 90 miles from home with my wife and 2 labs in a VW bug. At a stop the geniuses dived, full on, into some bushes, and came out fast! Stink so bad it hurts! Someone yelled that tomato juice kills skunk odor. I sure hope they enjoyed themselves. We drove home with windows down with a skunk/lab lazagna essence wafting through. Tomato skunk is no better. I have boxers now.
Where was the mask then?

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
We used to live right on a creek in Santa Barbara. Nice neighborhood, but we did get all manner of critters because of the creek. My dog never learned his lessons and got skunked several times. Once we saw him put his nose right up a skunks butt. He was whining and pawing at his face for several minutes while we got the bath ready. We used the same formula as CaptainMoto above. Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn dish soap. Sometimes it took two or three baths to get all the stink out, but he was usually bearable and able to stay inside after one bath with that mix.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
What's a skunk? We only have to dodge deadly snakes and spiders around the house and out and about we also have to dodge the blue ringed octopus, box jellyfish, death adder, wild dogs and salt water crocodiles. We also have the most dangerous bird in the world, the cassowary.
That all sounds very ominous but, you forgot to mention VEGEMITE, that stuff can kill ya.